By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo needs Switch to sell ~75m+ to match this gens sales.

Tagged games:

pokoko said:
Quite honestly, the Switch doesn't seem like a very good handheld. I see no reason why they can't make a dedicated handheld to complement it, especially one that offered a full selection of mobile games.

Why wouldn't the Switch offer mobile games?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Around the Network
Slarvax said:
pokoko said:
Quite honestly, the Switch doesn't seem like a very good handheld. I see no reason why they can't make a dedicated handheld to complement it, especially one that offered a full selection of mobile games.

Why wouldn't the Switch offer mobile games?

I don't know, why wouldn't it?

They don't care about matching this gen sales, this is about getting back into the market and showing they can still innovate. Don't know why people are thinking the Switch is trying to compete with PS4 or X1, though it is amusing seeing the amount of downplaying it is getting so soon after that trailer.

tak13 said:
Kerotan said:

So as of now this generation Nintendo has sold around 70m units.  Between the Wii U and 3DS.  That will end up around 75-80m by the time they stop selling.  

IF (key word)  the Switch is a hybrid replacement for both consoles,  Nintendo need thr switch to sell about 80m or they face another decline.  

If it only sells 30-50m that's a pretty big decline.  It has its work cut out. Now if the 3DS gets a successor that's separate to this than you can add both of them together and hitting that 80m target will be a lot easier. 

My frog,  always go with shipments when you make that kind of  projection ( most of the time you sell what you have shipped, in the end) , so sell-in is better for lifetime sales prediction...

3ds+wii u are at 73m as of june 2017,  so does the 75-80m range seem to you right? It could be at 75m as of September 2017...

Whatever the point still stands.  That's why I used the ~ symbol. 

I think they'll do fine, with all of the software unified I don't see why the Nintendo fans would magically disappear (the adopters of the 3DS / Wii U / Wii / DS and the million systems from before then)

key here is Nintendo will hopefully, based on what they've shown so far, have good third party support. but ironically regardless it looks like they'll finally be able to put out a ton of their own software to gurantee no droughts too

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

The Switch trailer featured no children, just 20-somethings while 3DS ads typically are aimed at children/parents.

That makes me believe Switch will be marketed as a more premium, high-end device and 3DS will remain their low cost kid-friendly device for a couple years until 3DS support dries up and Switch price comes down.

The preview trailer made me believe that it was tailor-made for the gaming forum population, hence the depicted demographics and the inclusion of a new 3D Mario game.

I doubt it will stay that way until launch. It's just a matter of priorities. First put the minds of forums at ease, then talk about the full range of features and games later.

i guess that makes sense, have the initial reveal be aimed more to the "core" gaming demographic since they will be the first to see it anyway.

but i still think what i said could be possible with the 3DS line remaining the kids device while Switch is the more high end, adult product.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

It doesn't really need to sell 75m+, despite its hybrid and aiming handheld and home console owners, it still one gaming devaice.

Profit kermit, profit.

I doubt it will reach that number. i don't think it will sell more than 20m.
It may be able to replace tablets and reach more than 50m, if it can run Android for GooglePlay games ( or iOS ).

It can't replace ps4 in homes, ps4 game library is too big. Outside of homes, GooglePlay and iOs games are the winners. Seriously, do you really want to go outside to play a video game for 3 hours, then go back to home to recharge? LoL. Core gamers don't do that, only casual gamers.

Like most parents, i will definitely buy switch for my kids but i certainly won't use it.

Faelco said:
That's why they won't announce the death of the 3DS yet and surely try to let the 2 consoles coexist for a while. They need a safety net.

If the Switch flops, they kill 2 markets with one stone. It would be really bad for the company. Keeping the 3DS around can allow them to move back to it and make a real successor if the Switch doesn't sell well.

That's what happens when you put all your eggs in the same basket... & by the looks of the basket, I fear theywon't remain intact for long...

Maybe it is what has to be done, then some well deserved firing can be done at Kyoto Headquarter!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001