By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch probably more powerful than the Xbox One S, gets PS4 ports

Sh1nn said:
Going by dev kit spec Switch gonna be underpowered home console and a powerful mobile device

Here some info from Zlatan from anandtech

"The memory bandwidth is extremely weak compared to the standard desktop consoles. Most titles will render 540p which is the minimum requirement from Nintendo."
"I can say that this is an SoC with a Pascal GPU. It's fast compared to other mobile products, but nowhere near as good as the Xbox One SoC. But hey, it consumes a lot less power. :) It is a very good product for the mobile market."

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/nintendo-switch-is-powered-by-nvidia.2481278/page-22#post-38530757

Upscale from 540p to 1080 or even 4K is gonna look ugly as f

this just gets more disappointing as more info comes out.

Around the Network

If the system allows the user to turn the settings up or down, like with a PC game, and the home base provides some extra horsepower, I can see how the Switch could approach current-gen specs in some cases.

If we can't alter the specs, then the system will either be relatively low power, very expensive, or have terrible battery life. It may have 2, or even all three of those characteristics.

Sh1nn said:
Wyrdness said:

Switch is Pascal so that's fake.

that's dev kit spec

Nvidia confirmed Switch is Pascal so why would the devkit have Maxwell?

Wyrdness said:
Sh1nn said:

that's dev kit spec

Nvidia confirmed Switch is Pascal so why would the devkit have Maxwell?

Because making games takes time, and Pascal videocards have been out in the wild since april-may 2016 IIRC.

...you can't make games that fast.

Wyrdness said:
Captain_Yuri said:

So what would cater to mobile users then? Apart from a smaller screen.

Well... It could be replacing the 3ds, we just don't know it for sure yet. I wouldn't call 3-4 hours good battery life... If they went with that, it would get a lot of negatives from reviewers. Considering how short the video was, 2 of them isn't what I would call insignificant.

But I don't see that... iPads and other tablets are meant to be portable and used in places where you don't need a charger, just not in very long trips. Otherwise, why would they have long battery life? Makes no sense. And yes, it doesn't focus on being portable which I have said... The trailer focuses on both which is not what you are saying at all. How can someone customize it to his or her liking if it requires them to charge it often which doesn't make it very portable at all.

A more portable focused experience and overlap with mobile would be areas to start.

The 3-4 hour life is what I'm expecting with out charging if the life is not good, considering the nature of those 2 trips and that one of them was in another home like environment that leaves one out of 7.

Your iPad comment is your own little thing tbh as I pointed out people mainly use tablets in near enough home like environments, it doesn't need to be portable to be cutomized the console just accomodates some aspects of portable gaming. Most people will be playing it in a home like environment where charging is not an issue.

So what does that even mean? Like being able to use it as a phone?

So 2/7... Seems pretty good to me. Also, when people watch that trailer, it doesn't exactly speak "Hey guys, you can only play this near your charger." Really its more like "You can connect this to your TV or you can take it out."

Yes you pointed out some uses for it near home but that doesn't mean that most people use it for that... It also doesn't deny the fact that it does have a long battery life which means that ipads are meant to be used everywhere including places without chargers. Hence the long battery life. There are tons of outside use cases for ipads like watching videos, reading books, playing games and etc. Apple even advertises it as a laptop replacement due its long battery life and portability. And just because you will be playing it in a home like environment doesn't mean most people will tbh.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

So 2/7... Seems pretty good to me. Also, when people watch that trailer, it doesn't exactly speak "Hey guys, you can only play this near your charger." Really its more like "You can connect this to your TV or you can take it out."

Yes you pointed out some uses for it near home but that doesn't mean that most people use it for that... It also doesn't deny the fact that it does have a long battery life which means that ipads are meant to be used everywhere including places without chargers. Hence the long battery life. There are tons of outside use cases for ipads like watching videos, reading books, playing games and etc. Apple even advertises it as a laptop replacement due its long battery life and portability. And just because you will be playing it in a home like environment doesn't mean most people will tbh.

I gave you an example of places where they can start if you really can't figure it out thhen the's nothing more to say on that.

That's the whole point of a preview trailer it touches on things you can do not what would be the more prominant function.

Nintendo's own statement suggests to me most people will be playing it in those environments.

Wyrdness said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I gave you an example of places where they can start if you really can't figure it out thhen the's nothing more to say on that.

That's the whole point of a preview trailer it touches on things you can do not what would be the more prominant function.

Nintendo's own statement suggests to me most people will be playing it in those environments.

Well, can you repeat that please? Cause I might have missed it.

Yes and according to the trailer... Its portable and it can connect to the TV... No where in the trailer suggests it will have a poor battery life which you will have to carry around a charger with you. And no, Nintendo saying "it is a first and foremost a home gaming system" does not suggest a poor battery life either tbh.

Nintendo's own statement suggests to me that they want to tell people that they aren't leaving the console market more so than anything.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WmKxq7Ya2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cTt_nxTWo#t=4m58s

what DF says, the ones who were 100% spot on with the NX so far

Nah, this is not gonna be that powerful, it would waste the battery in minutes when playing on the go.