By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch probably more powerful than the Xbox One S, gets PS4 ports

Yep, It's running on Pascal, it will be more powerful than the PS4.  

Around the Network
WagnerPaiva said:
One thing is clear: there will be extra juice when you dock the thing. It just looks super cool.

Is that even confirmed though?

To me it looks unlikely. Unlikely that they waste resources on two separate GPUs just to make it a bit more powerful in docking mode. Might as well launch it as separate consoles.

Slimebeast said:
WagnerPaiva said:
One thing is clear: there will be extra juice when you dock the thing. It just looks super cool.

To me it looks unlikely. Unlikely that they waste resources on two separate GPUs just to make it a bit more powerful in docking mode. Might as well launch it as separate consoles.

The opposite is more confirmed.... Nintendo said that the dock was there to recharge and to connect the tablet to the TV.

The Switch is just a gaming tablet with detachable controllers and a dock for the TV connection.

RolStoppable said:

Slimebeast said:

No. Actually it starts with I need to compensate but it ends with "..and a lot of Nintendo fans apparently need to compensate"!!

You can't be serious. Lower price... Obviously power is more important than price.

And development costs, we as gamers don't have to worry about that. We don't develop the games.

This gen has tought that power is everything.

Double the Wii U and we're a go. Instant success.

This gen saw the Vita getting steamrolled by the 3DS, so "power is everything" simply doesn't hold up. There are also plenty of reasons why the PS4 won that have nothing to do with power, so power is really a case of coincidence rather than the cause.

Development costs matter for exactly the reason I stated. 3DS software can take more creative risks than any of the other current gen systems. It's a world of difference if you get full retail games or have to settle for indie titles in order to satisfy your appetite for certain kinds of games.

I know that power hardly matters anything in console gaming. I was just playing Devil's advocate as you mite or mite not have guessed.

Pirice is obviusly much more important, whether if they make it a $249 machine or $349 is crucial for success.

And the PS4 with its ease of development this generation proved that easy to develop for is also an important factor.

Faelco said:
Slimebeast said:

The opposite is more confirmed.... Nintendo said that the dock was there to recharge and to connect the tablet to the TV.

The Switch is just a gaming tablet with detachable controllers and a dock for the TV connection.

Exactly. And therefore if we get 2x Wii U power on the go for only $299 its gonna be a huge success!

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
WagnerPaiva said:

In theory it doesn't have to be in the dock - it can be in the main unit and be fully operational with default clock only when docked and running partially disabled (a la PS4 Pro) and/or downclocked when handheld.

nVidia is about to launch in a few days desktop GPU that is about as strong or stronger then PS4 for $110...not saying anything like it is inside NS, just giving perspective of how cheap even nVidia's GPUs of such power are.

This is a pretty nice write up of the system, suggesting it will be between 1-1.5 TFLops, right in the XBOne range.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-switch-hardware-analysis/

TheLastStarFighter said:
This is a pretty nice write up of the system, suggesting it will be between 1-1.5 TFLops, right in the XBOne range.

Yeah, there's just one problem with that article - it's written by someone who just picked up highest number nVidia put out, not paying attention that it's FP16 performance and then went on to compare it with FP32 performance of PS4 and X1.

X1 is 512GFLOPS in FP32, not 1TFLOP (that's FP16).

However, I do agree that 1-1.5TFLOPS (FP32) might be possible in docked mode, it's just a question how far Nintendo went with the whole concept.

TheLastStarFighter said:

A lot of guesswork in the article, they're basically saying "It's NVidia so it should be close to one of the known Nvidia chip, so we guess it will be this one"....

HoloDust said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Yeah, there's just one problem with that article - it's written by someone who just picked up highest number nVidia put out, not paying attention that it's FP16 performance and then went on to compare it with FP32 performance of PS4 and X1.

X1 is 512GFLOPS in FP32, not 1TFLOP (that's FP16).

However, I do agree that 1-1.5TFLOPS (FP32) might be possible in docked mode, it's just a question how far Nintendo went with the whole concept.

Not really, it's a power charger = hdmi connector to the TV. No processing power in it (according to Nintendo's PR guy's own words).

Not anywhere close to even and Xbox 1 and the ports will be the same kind of ports the Vita also gets from PS4, which means, mostly smaller independent titles and some Japanese last gen crossovers.