By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch probably more powerful than the Xbox One S, gets PS4 ports

Captain_Yuri said:

Why wouldn't the NX be able to capture the "wider audience" by itself if it just has a good battery life? Thats really the only difference and just have a NX smaller version that is the samething as the NX in every aspect just with a smaller screen. Similar to 3ds and 3dsXL. That way, they won't need to put in all the extra effort.

If the Switch isn't meant to be taken on short trips and etc, then why did the trailer show it like it was? I am pretty sure Nintendo wants to make sure it has a good battery life otherwise, the trailer doesn't make any sense.

Most people don't charge their ipads as frequently as you suggest. I am not sure in what line of work you do that it requires people to bring their chargers but I havn't seen anyone bring their chargers with them to things like parties, get togethers or really anything that involves going outside. What you are saying is the opposite of what they showed in the trailer as far as what its meant to be. The trailer focused on portability as well as being in the house, not just in the house as you are suggesting. And again, we don't know if they are going to make a successor to the 3ds for sure. 

Also not to mention that the reviews aren't gonna be happy if it has a short battery life and we all know how bad the press can get.

Because the is no one universal execution that can capture every type of consumer, Switch may sell to console and portable gamers but maybe not to those more into mobile for example.

Only two of those were short trips tbh and one of them was near enough a home environment, I'm sure they want good battery life as well but if it's not replacing 3DS as thought it may not be their priority to have battery life comparable to device that are much more portable so I wouldn't be surprised if it's around 3-4 hours or so.

You completely missed the point iPads are mainly used in environments where charging if necessary is not much of an issue, I've seen many people bring their chargers to work and so on so I guess you not seeing is down to your own activities as when I'm at gatherings at a friends house the always a a few people with chargers etc... The trailer didn't focus on being portable it only introduced the console and the concept being a preview trailer, the concept of switch is a home gaming experience that you can customize to your liking with controller set ups as well as being portable.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Why wouldn't the NX be able to capture the "wider audience" by itself if it just has a good battery life? Thats really the only difference and just have a NX smaller version that is the samething as the NX in every aspect just with a smaller screen. Similar to 3ds and 3dsXL. That way, they won't need to put in all the extra effort.

If the Switch isn't meant to be taken on short trips and etc, then why did the trailer show it like it was? I am pretty sure Nintendo wants to make sure it has a good battery life otherwise, the trailer doesn't make any sense.

Most people don't charge their ipads as frequently as you suggest. I am not sure in what line of work you do that it requires people to bring their chargers but I havn't seen anyone bring their chargers with them to things like parties, get togethers or really anything that involves going outside. What you are saying is the opposite of what they showed in the trailer as far as what its meant to be. The trailer focused on portability as well as being in the house, not just in the house as you are suggesting. And again, we don't know if they are going to make a successor to the 3ds for sure. 

Also not to mention that the reviews aren't gonna be happy if it has a short battery life and we all know how bad the press can get.

Because the is no one universal execution that can capture every type of consumer, Switch may sell to console and portable gamers but maybe not to those more into mobile for example.

Only two of those were short trips tbh and one of them was near enough a home environment, I'm sure they want good battery life as well but if it's not replacing 3DS as thought it may not be their priority to have battery life comparable to device that are much more portable so I wouldn't be surprised if it's around 3-4 hours or so.

You completely missed the point iPads are mainly used in environments where charging if necessary is not much of an issue, I've seen many people bring their chargers to work and so on so I guess you not seeing is down to your own activities as when I'm at gatherings at a friends house the always a a few people with chargers etc... The trailer didn't focus on being portable it only introduced the console and the concept being a preview trailer, the concept of switch is a home gaming experience that you can customize to your liking with controller set ups as well as being portable.

So what would cater to mobile users then? Apart from a smaller screen.

Well... It could be replacing the 3ds, we just don't know it for sure yet. I wouldn't call 3-4 hours good battery life... If they went with that, it would get a lot of negatives from reviewers. Considering how short the video was, 2 of them isn't what I would call insignificant.

But I don't see that... iPads and other tablets are meant to be portable and used in places where you don't need a charger, just not in very long trips. Otherwise, why would they have long battery life? Makes no sense. And yes, it doesn't focus on being portable which I have said... The trailer focuses on both which is not what you are saying at all. How can someone customize it to his or her liking if it requires them to charge it often which doesn't make it very portable at all.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

So what would cater to mobile users then? Apart from a smaller screen.

Well... It could be replacing the 3ds, we just don't know it for sure yet. I wouldn't call 3-4 hours good battery life... If they went with that, it would get a lot of negatives from reviewers. Considering how short the video was, 2 of them isn't what I would call insignificant.

But I don't see that... iPads and other tablets are meant to be portable and used in places where you don't need a charger, just not in very long trips. Otherwise, why would they have long battery life? Makes no sense. And yes, it doesn't focus on being portable which I have said... The trailer focuses on both which is not what you are saying at all. How can someone customize it to his or her liking if it requires them to charge it often which doesn't make it very portable at all.

A more portable focused experience and overlap with mobile would be areas to start.

The 3-4 hour life is what I'm expecting with out charging if the life is not good, considering the nature of those 2 trips and that one of them was in another home like environment that leaves one out of 7.

Your iPad comment is your own little thing tbh as I pointed out people mainly use tablets in near enough home like environments, it doesn't need to be portable to be cutomized the console just accomodates some aspects of portable gaming. Most people will be playing it in a home like environment where charging is not an issue.

Going by dev kit spec Switch gonna be underpowered home console and a powerful mobile device

Here some info from Zlatan from anandtech

"The memory bandwidth is extremely weak compared to the standard desktop consoles. Most titles will render 540p which is the minimum requirement from Nintendo."
"I can say that this is an SoC with a Pascal GPU. It's fast compared to other mobile products, but nowhere near as good as the Xbox One SoC. But hey, it consumes a lot less power. :) It is a very good product for the mobile market."

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/nintendo-switch-is-powered-by-nvidia.2481278/page-22#post-38530757

Upscale from 540p to 1080 or even 4K is gonna look ugly as f

4GB @ 25.6GB/s? Shared with video?

Yeah... good luck with that. That's the kind of bandwidth my video card had in 2010... and my videocard was a GT 420m.

Around the Network

Literally nothing in here means it's even close to the Xbox On

Sh1nn said:
Going by dev kit spec Switch gonna be underpowered home console and a powerful mobile device

"The memory bandwidth is extremely weak compared to the standard desktop consoles. Most titles will render 540p which is the minimum requirement from Nintendo."
"I can say that this is an SoC with a Pascal GPU. It's fast compared to other mobile products, but nowhere near as good as the Xbox One SoC. But hey, it consumes a lot less power. :) It is a very good product for the mobile market."

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/nintendo-switch-is-powered-by-nvidia.2481278/page-22#post-38530757

Switch is Pascal so that's fake.

not really drawn to scale but generally:

--ps3
--NS portable------------------------------NS console
--------------------------------------------------------------xbox------------------------------------------------------------------------scorpio
---------------------------------------------------------------------ps4------------------------------------------------ps4 pro

| ---------- this here is a massive gap ----------- |

NS console doesn't look too far behind the xbox but the NS portable is.

on ps4 some games get ported to vita and that's cool and all but the big games (uncharted 4) clearly don't.  the power gap is too huge.  on NS the downport to the handheld is compulsory in the same way ps4 is compulsory for ps4 pro.   and in the same way as ps4 pro's power is being underutilized the NS console's power will be underutilized.

so allow me to predict the future of NS:

NS isn't going to get a lot of the big home console games.  indies: yes.  last gen remasters: sure.   ...but things like red dead redemption 2 and mass effect andromeda are going to pass on NS.

which means i have 5+ years of people unfairly complaining that 3rd parties are being lazy assholes for not putting their games on NS.

happy happy joy joy.

Wyrdness said:
Sh1nn said:

Switch is Pascal so that's fake.

that's dev kit spec

JRPGfan said:

Serious doubts about it being more power than XB1s.
I doubt thats true honestly.

Its a tablet... it would melt if that were the case.

If we consider that facts that Nintendo doesn't generally lose money on hardware, and they do not release systems at price points higher than MS and Sony, then yeah, it would melt.

If they've changed, and are willing to take big losses on the hardware up front, anything is possible.