By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch probably more powerful than the Xbox One S, gets PS4 ports

Captain_Yuri said:

Considering how Nintendo's marketing has been... I doubt they would do a good job at showing what makes them different apart from one connects to a TV and one doesn't... Most people would just see them as one with a big screen and the other with the small one. Assuming it even happens.

Yes cause carrying a charging cable is exactly what people want to do with a portable device. If the battery life really is poor, that means they would have to charge it often. I wouldn't call that convient at all... Specially since we don't know whether or not a portable powerbank can output enough to charge it faster than it is draining.

They did a fine job with the preview inroducing the concept tbh, under one ecosystem they would only need people to buy one or the other not both.

People have no problem carrying around their iPad or Laptop chargers this would be no different tbh, it's not a handheld it's a console device so primarily it's to be played at home or a places similar to it, being portable is one of the features and the 3DS successor will likely be the one that will be primarily portable and more geared for gaming away from home instead of the odd trips here and there. 

Around the Network

No, it wont be in the range of X1-PS4. I doubt it will even come close X1.
However, Switch has a VENT. That's right a vent, meaning it's likely actively cooled, making it one hella powerful portable.

I kinda doubt it, but if it's powerful enough to get some of those bigger budget games on the console, I'm all for it.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

nanzano said:

lol it might have a chip technically as strong as the ps4 one but as long as the chip is supplied with 20W- and the Ps4 one with 100W+ , the ps4 will perform at least twice more than the Switch, otherwise the Switch will burn in poeple's hand.

and after that comes the RAM problem, no way nintendo puts 8gb memory in a handheld.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

superchunk said:

RolStoppable said:

RE: more like WiiU power than Xbox One

1. Lower price.
2. Better battery life.
3. Shorter game development times.
4. Lower game development costs result in more varied game output.

That list of reasons is a lot better than yours which starts and ends with "I need to compensate for my small wiener."

You are going too extreme with your views here.

It has to support the current gaming middleware / tech otherwise it will fail as poorly or worse than WiiU. The only way tha tis possible is if it has power and architecture at least close to Xbox One. With the list of partners on Nintendo's website we can clearly see ALL of the tech companies are listed. This is definitely way more powerful than WiiU.

1. That tech is now not "cutting edge" therefore there is no reason to assume it will mandatorily be expensive. A "console" price point is around $300 now, like it or not. There is nothing known yet that suggests this won't have a basic bundle around that price.

2. This is rumored to be mediocre and I think that is true and is why Nintendo is showing this as predominately a home console. However, 3DS battery life was like 6hrs and that still sold well. I don't think this is a major concern for mass consumers.

3. This goes back to my point on having the same middleware support. The biggest reason that is vital is to allow the easiest game development possible. Not only are ports relatively straightforward, but these tools have very well refined development support. This will be probably the easiest Nintendo console to develop on yet. I'm sure this will be evident as the week rolls on and we see its first year of games.

4. SImilar to #3. 3rd parties, this same middleware tech will remove any tech blockers and allow a relatively cheap path to porting. Same reason they don't question supporting XboxOne even though PS4 is the clear market leader. Exclusivity is gone now unless you're a 1st/2nd party dev. 

Nintendo's costs will go up, I'd expect. But that is inevitable as tech continues to move forward. There is no way around that. However, the better middleware support will allow Nintendo's teams to utilize industry standard dev tools which should bring down their costs over time as they get mature with the tools. Additionally, this removes Nintendo's dual pipelines into a single unifed software approach. That is a big win and cost reducer on its own.

None of this has to do with my small wiener. It has to do with Nintendo continuing to be unique and offer amazing new ways to play, while also streamlining its architecture and software to that of industry standards. Win-win in my book for everyone.

Oooooooooh. Rol hit a little to close home.

Around the Network

All the factors and deals would need to align for it to be PS4 level. Many rumours said that the 3DS would have an Nvidia GPU but that it was dropped due to cost. Nvidia might've given them a deal this time because they want a piece of the console market, but still, I shall remain skeptical.

People are so doubtful, we don't know what NVIDIA came up with just yet.

With the dock combined, possibly.

Wyrdness said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Considering how Nintendo's marketing has been... I doubt they would do a good job at showing what makes them different apart from one connects to a TV and one doesn't... Most people would just see them as one with a big screen and the other with the small one. Assuming it even happens.

Yes cause carrying a charging cable is exactly what people want to do with a portable device. If the battery life really is poor, that means they would have to charge it often. I wouldn't call that convient at all... Specially since we don't know whether or not a portable powerbank can output enough to charge it faster than it is draining.

They did a fine job with the preview inroducing the concept tbh, under one ecosystem they would only need people to buy one or the other not both.

People have no problem carrying around their iPad or Laptop chargers this would be no different tbh, it's not a handheld it's a console device so primarily it's to be played at home or a places similar to it, being portable is one of the features and the 3DS successor will likely be the one that will be primarily portable and more geared for gaming away from home instead of the odd trips here and there. 

But if it is one eco system... There would be no need for a handheld if the battery life of the NX is good... There wouldn't be any reason to put the extra effort in launching a new product that is this similar to the previous one with the only difference being battery life and a smaller screen. And yea, they did it cause the concept like this is easy to understand, the small difference between what you are saying isn't very easy...

But people don't charge their ipads very often and they use their laptops for completely different purposes. Most people rarely even carry around their ipad chargers unless they know they are going for a long trip cause ipads generally last quite a while. You don't see kids carrying around their ipads or laptops to school let alone the chargers for them.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Ljink96 said:
People are so doubtful, we don't know what NVIDIA came up with just yet.

They wouldn't go from a 512 GFlop GPU to a 1.84 TFlop GPU with current technology.