By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Now that you have seen the Nintendo Switch do you think it will be successful?

Based off what you have seen will it be successful?

yes 318 48.33%

no 149 22.64%

maybe 156 23.71%

see results 33 5.02%

other 2 0.30%

Total:658
sethnintendo said:
j.thomaz said:
lack of smart thinking.

Try playing Fire Emblem on hard mode.

Which one? Awakening is a snooze fest even in Lunatic mode :P

Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance in Hard mode were interesting. Not the same license anymore though :/

Around the Network
Valdath said:
Too big to be portable.

I want my handheld gaming back.

Its a tablet... its not too big, its just the right size. Trends show handhelds keep getting bigger (same with phones).

Put it in a backpack or brief case, get it out on train or bus.

People in general want bigger screens on their handheld devices.

KBG29 said:

If the mobile device has 4G, can call & text, and they have social apps, then it has a chance. If not, we re looking at a device in the 20 million territory.

If they want to give it a major boost, they will make a smaller mobile based on the same tech and revise this unit with a Pro in 2019. Even without mobile networking and always available multiplayer it could go much bigger with that.

It holds potential, now, did do Nintendo do it right? And, what is their road map for the hardware & the OS?

To those saying Android/iOS. **** NO! The market needs competition. We need more companies with strong stores and OS's. I don't want two companies having controll over the entire world maket. 

Agree with you about it staying clear of Android and iOS

Faelco said:
Not sure if it will be really successful, still too many questions :

- For the non-gamer audience : zero interest. It can't attract the Wii crowd.
- For the PS4/One gamers : really limited interest, and even less if they can't get games like RDR2 or COD. If the console isn't powerful enough, it will be really complicated to get the big 3rd party games, especially is you have to create a handheld version of your game. Could be a Wii U 2.0 for this audience.
- For the PC crowd : maybe as a complementary console to play Nintendo games, but it was the same thing with the Wii U and it didn't set the charts on fire.
- For the 3DS crowd : it will depend on price, autonomy, games and practicality. We need to know if they can make a cheap, powerful handheld with a good autonomy. The practicality doesn't seem really good (too big), and it needs to be at least resistant to attract kids and their parents. It doesn't look like something you'll put easily in your kid's bag before leaving the house, so we'll see. Right now, there is no reason to buy a Switch if you or your kid has a 3DS. So the hardest part here is to kill the 3DS and attract the future former 3DS players to the Switch instead of the tablets/mobile. They lost a lot of players in the DS/3DS transition, it won't be an easy thing to do, it will depend on the qualities I've listed earlier.
- The Nintendo hardcore gamers should be on board, but this audience is a lot smaller than the others, as demonstrated by the Wii U.

So, with the information we have now, the Switch shouldn't become the leader of the gen like the Wii, but could have an average success (better than the Wii U) if they succeed in the 3DS/Switch transition. This transition is not assured yet and will depend on the future information we'll get (the real news). Same expectation as yesterday and 3 months ago, the information we got today is exactly what we already knew after all.

Too early to tell as you said, but in the bolded part, I think the mobile games can be the solution.Get them interested to buy the dedicated one.There will be the price factor, but thats another discussion.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

DonFerrari said:
Werix357 said:

Android and iOS support? I've been hearing people saying that Switch needs apps I mean if this was meant to be a replacement for my phone or tablet then yes but the NSwitch is strickley an entertainment device.

But having apps and games from Apple and iOS would be good addition.

Apps and games ported from android/iOS would fine just as it would be fine if it gets ports from other systems, just as long as it stays seperate from them.

Around the Network
Werix357 said:
KBG29 said:

To those saying Android/iOS. **** NO! The market needs competition. We need more companies with strong stores and OS's. I don't want two companies having controll over the entire world maket. 

Why wouldnt Nintendo allow ARM based (android) games on their E-shop?

It will take very little work to get them running perfectly on this device if it has a Nvidia Tegra in there.

Its basically just a matter of allowing it, and then enjoying the profit cuts nintendo charge for putting it there.

That means more games overall for the system too, which is a good thing.

Nintendo still has controll and desides which games it ll allow on it ect.

Its success will pretty much be at the mercy of its software. The console itself is interesting, but not groundbreaking.

It'll do okay in Japan. Think it'll struggle in the west though.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

JRPGfan said:
Werix357 said:

Why wouldnt Nintendo allow ARM based (android) games on their E-shop?

It will take very little work to get them running perfectly on this device if it has a Nvidia Tegra in there.

Its basically just a matter of allowing it, and then enjoying the profit cuts nintendo charge for putting it there.

That means more games overall for the system too, which is a good thing.

Nintendo still has controll and desides which games it ll allow on it ect.

Just to be clear, which I don't think I was previously. I'm not against ports from any Hardware or OS

I'm buying one. Based on this idea, partner list (really only needs Nintendo) and relevation of Tegra/Nvidia hardware... I think this will do very well. Can't wait for continuous additional information to be released.