By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch, what did you like, and what did you dislike?

Machiavellian said:
bigtakilla said:

I found it funny that he games during his kids school plays, lol. Worlds best parent.

The first time you sit through a very boring play, recitial, singing engagement then you will know the pain of being the worlds best parent.  Why act like you care after the 100 performance.  As long as you are there is all they care about anyway and they will tell you the whole thing again anyway which is way more important to them.

I'll know soon enough, got a 2 year old so it's only a matter of time.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:

That depends mostly on the resolution target. The X1 is running the Skyrim remaster at 1080p, and there are much more graphically complex 1080p titles on the X1. A console half as powerful should certainly be able to run it at least 720p, and something between the WiiU and X1 would be above that (this all mostly ignoring the CPU; on that front i'd expect the Switch to be at minimum close to the PS4 and X1. They're low-spec and cheap, and anything much below it would make it a much harder sell for multi-plats).

The Switch could very well be in range of the X1, but at least as far as the Skyrim remaster goes, i'm confident in saying it doesn't have to be.

Someone earlier pointed out Bethesda actually had trouble getting it to run on X1 so I don't think a console half as powerful could run it at even 720p, more graphically complex games doesn't really mean anything tbh unless you're saying Bethesda went out their way to optimize the Switch version something that contradicts their earlier statements only focusing on hardware with out much issue.

Teriol said:
Wyrdness said:

Ok that's a good point as I definitely recall Bethesda not long ago (literally 1 or 2 months ago) saying that hardware was why they never bothered in recent gens, we can at least speculate it's in X1 performance range other wise the Switch version wouldn't exist like you pointed out.

there is one other thing, Nvidia Flops =/= AMD Flops, the diference is like this  1.0 Nvdia flop = 1.3 AMD flop

Technically a FLOP is a FLOP no matter in which hardware it's running on. AFAIK modern AMD GPUs run on vector instructions and units while Nvidia uses a scalar GPU architecture. It's easier to fill the pipeline with scalar ops than vectors, so Nvidia GPUs seem more power efficient and faster for gaming on a FLOP per FLOP basis. The difference would be even more blatant (probably approaching 2:1) if AMD still used very long instruction word SIMD.

I don't think it's clear at this point if the optimization work for console games would make up for the difference, or if a Nvidia-like GPU would still have an advantage over AMD on consoles, FLOP per FLOP. It should have at least over PS4 and X1 since it's a newer architecture, but not sure when compared to the PS4 Pro or the Scorpio.

bigtakilla said:
sethnintendo said:

Maybe we will get a Battlefield 1 without DLC, 6 months rushed Madden and FIFA.  Skyrim will be non game of the year edition.  CoD with only one game instead of two.  If that is the case then we know it is Wii U all over again.

COD had BLOPS 2 and Ghosts on Wii U, I own them both.

The real point is however, that Wii U had quite a bit of thord party support year one. 

EA ports were kind of crappy except NFS but that was too little too late.  Activision tried a little harder than EA.  Did the COD on Wii U have DLC?

Lawlight said:
1. The concept is neat but poorly executed. Instead of a portable gaming system, they made a tablet. I still don't where I could be using this. Maybe on the plane but I can just as well use my iPad which is a multipurpose device.

2. The games don't seem great either as it's more of the same unappealing Nintendo IPs but that's subjective, of course.

3. The controllers still look cheaply made and uncomfortable.

Overall, it just looks like the WiiU 2 to me.

If you think this is a wiiu 2 you didn't understand the concept at all, wiiu was build around the gamepad with the touchscreen, this is NOT, it doesn't have a second screen while playing, this is not a WiiU2.

Around the Network

As someone who only plays on the tv, I hated it.
That tablet will be perpetually on the dock. I wish they make a cheaper version without the thing.

sethnintendo said:
bigtakilla said:

COD had BLOPS 2 and Ghosts on Wii U, I own them both.

The real point is however, that Wii U had quite a bit of thord party support year one. 

EA ports were kind of crappy except NFS but that was too little too late.  Activision tried a little harder than EA.  Did the COD on Wii U have DLC?

We got the two free maps, no other dlc than that. 

Not sure if I like it.

Pro:
- No more range limit on the gamepad.
Con:
- I'll never use it outside the house so why pay extra for that functionality.

Unknowns:
- Will it run my WiiU games? Or is Nintendo done with BC.
- Touchscreen?
- Internal storage?
- Battery life?
- I guess no more 1 on tv 1 on pad multiplayer?
- Splitscreen or will the focus be on buying multiple switches?

Reviews will have to convince me Zelda is much better on the NX. Least excited I've been for a Nintendo console to date. I dislike playing on handhelds, but didn't mind the extra info screen with touchscreen inventory management etc on the gamepad. This seems a step backwards for me.

Goodnightmoon said:
Lawlight said:
1. The concept is neat but poorly executed. Instead of a portable gaming system, they made a tablet. I still don't where I could be using this. Maybe on the plane but I can just as well use my iPad which is a multipurpose device.

2. The games don't seem great either as it's more of the same unappealing Nintendo IPs but that's subjective, of course.

3. The controllers still look cheaply made and uncomfortable.

Overall, it just looks like the WiiU 2 to me.

If you think this is a wiiu 2 you didn't understand the concept at all, wiiu was build around the gamepad with the touchscreen, this is NOT, it doesn't have a second screen while playing, this is not a WiiU2.

Yep, it's actually worse than Wii U.

I'm afraid Nintendo will delay Wii U version of Zelda. BotW runs and looks like shit on Switch in portable mode. They need to sell it, so...

Still mad that they dropped fully functional map on the U pad because of the plastic toy "Switch".

Wyrdness said:
Zekkyou said:

That depends mostly on the resolution target. The X1 is running the Skyrim remaster at 1080p, and there are much more graphically complex 1080p titles on the X1. A console half as powerful should certainly be able to run it at least 720p, and something between the WiiU and X1 would be above that (this all mostly ignoring the CPU; on that front i'd expect the Switch to be at minimum close to the PS4 and X1. They're low-spec and cheap, and anything much below it would make it a much harder sell for multi-plats).

The Switch could very well be in range of the X1, but at least as far as the Skyrim remaster goes, i'm confident in saying it doesn't have to be.

Someone earlier pointed out Bethesda actually had trouble getting it to run on X1 so I don't think a console half as powerful could run it at even 720p, more graphically complex games doesn't really mean anything tbh unless you're saying Bethesda went out their way to optimize the Switch version something that contradicts their earlier statements only focusing on hardware with out much issue.

720p is less than half of 1080p, so i fail to see why a system half as strong as the X1 (with consideration to my note about the CPU) wouldn't run it. Something half-way between the WiiU and X1 would be a moderate step above that, so baring Bethesda being even less competent optimizers than normal, i'd honestly be shocked if they couldn't get it to run.