By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-ray killing hddvd in Europe.

I've got a 12-foot pole if you're interested...

Around the Network
your mother said:

I've got a 12-foot pole if you're interested...

Does it run 1080p with uncompressed audio?

If so, I'm not interested. :D 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

your mother said:

Silver_Z said:

Yes... it has happen before, and it is a good progression. I cant imagine playing high quality console games on a floppy. My point is in regards to thread starter saying "Sony force blu ray on consumers with the PS3". To me, it is a right move and a necessity. Why didn't MS put in HD DVD in the 360, so that games offered can be even better(not implying they are bad now, just improvement over existing). If we are still living in a world where there is only CD, and I have no other choice but to swap disc, then so be it. But since technology has advanced with media capable of huge storage, kudos to the makers for making life better. I do not wanna be stucked in the past.

I do agree that the comment doesn't make sense. Nobody is forcing you, o good consumer, to buy anything. 

Dear god, and yes, Sony is technically forcing us to buy Blu-Ray because there isn't a PS3 without Blu-Ray functions. If you're going to expand the argument to encompass free will as a consumer, period, then you're just shooting yourself in the foot with the cop-out response of, "well just don't buy one at all". Hell, why buy any console at all, argument finished. Hell why buy anything at all? Be a Hobo! Hell why live? Just kill yourself, you don't need to worry about any problems then! But... that's not the issue here now is it? And I think we can agree an ever expanding compass of avoiding the topic responses are farsical at best. The issue is addressing the situation from the persepctive of a product as the sole point of debate, an abstract concept I know but hopefully one you as an adult can grasp. This is not about the issue of free will as you so eagerly hope to use to dismiss such a claim. Sony held the majority share of the market's games, fans and momentum before the PS3 launched so you'll excuse us if fans don't feel just a little forced when their only alternative to what has been the definition of gaming is another brand altogether that wasn't the domineering force of the last gen. Don't pull this, "nobody's forcing you!" bullshit in defense of a Company's unethical and poorly planned R&D. It's the kind of argument someone uses to sidestep the issue after the fact.

Gballzack said:
your mother said:

Silver_Z said:

Yes... it has happen before, and it is a good progression. I cant imagine playing high quality console games on a floppy. My point is in regards to thread starter saying "Sony force blu ray on consumers with the PS3". To me, it is a right move and a necessity. Why didn't MS put in HD DVD in the 360, so that games offered can be even better(not implying they are bad now, just improvement over existing). If we are still living in a world where there is only CD, and I have no other choice but to swap disc, then so be it. But since technology has advanced with media capable of huge storage, kudos to the makers for making life better. I do not wanna be stucked in the past.

I do agree that the comment doesn't make sense. Nobody is forcing you, o good consumer, to buy anything.

Dear god, and yes, Sony is technically forcing us to buy Blu-Ray because there isn't a PS3 without Blu-Ray functions. If you're going to expand the argument to encompass free will as a consumer, period, then you're just shooting yourself in the foot with the cop-out response of, "well just don't buy one at all". Hell, why buy any console at all, argument finished. Hell why buy anything at all? Be a Hobo! Hell why live? Just kill yourself, you don't need to worry about any problems then! But... that's not the issue here now is it? And I think we can agree an ever expanding compass of avoiding the topic responses are farsical at best. The issue is addressing the situation from the persepctive of a product as the sole point of debate, an abstract concept I know but hopefully one you as an adult can grasp. This is not about the issue of free will as you so eagerly hope to use to dismiss such a claim. Sony held the majority share of the market's games, fans and momentum before the PS3 launched so you'll excuse us if fans don't feel just a little forced when their only alternative to what has been the definition of gaming is another brand altogether that wasn't the domineering force of the last gen. Don't pull this, "nobody's forcing you!" bullshit in defense of a Company's unethical and poorly planned R&D. It's the kind of argument someone uses to sidestep the issue after the fact.

same as nintendo is forcing people to buy into motion sensing games.  Same as Microsoft is forcing us into buying Xbox live to play online.  The consoles differences arent being forced on anyone, if you dont want them dont buy them, what sets consoles apart is what makes them different, not what makes them forced.  

You are really an unwelcomed poster at this board, i have yet to see you contribute anything with substance yet here.  You hurl generalized insults and condescending remarks non stop, i hope you get banned here pretty quick.

Just because Sony didnt sit and decide to expand their newest console to fit your every desire doesnt make it forced or unethical, im very greatful that i was able to get a Blu-Ray player as well as the newest Playstation in one cheap package, just because they didnt design their system for what you wanted doesnt make them the devil and doesnt force their system on anyone, its a new product, if you dont like it you dont buy it, get over yourself, please. 

Gballzack said:
your mother said:

Silver_Z said:

Dear god, and yes, Sony is technically forcing us to buy Blu-Ray because there isn't a PS3 without Blu-Ray functions. If you're going to expand the argument to encompass free will as a consumer, period, then you're just shooting yourself in the foot with the cop-out response of, "well just don't buy one at all". Hell, why buy any console at all, argument finished. Hell why buy anything at all? Be a Hobo! Hell why live? Just kill yourself, you don't need to worry about any problems then! But... that's not the issue here now is it? And I think we can agree an ever expanding compass of avoiding the topic responses are farsical at best. The issue is addressing the situation from the persepctive of a product as the sole point of debate, an abstract concept I know but hopefully one you as an adult can grasp. This is not about the issue of free will as you so eagerly hope to use to dismiss such a claim. Sony held the majority share of the market's games, fans and momentum before the PS3 launched so you'll excuse us if fans don't feel just a little forced when their only alternative to what has been the definition of gaming is another brand altogether that wasn't the domineering force of the last gen. Don't pull this, "nobody's forcing you!" bullshit in defense of a Company's unethical and poorly planned R&D. It's the kind of argument someone uses to sidestep the issue after the fact.

First off, I'm not defending any console or company or brand. Frankly, I don't care. However, it is true: Sony has not put a gun to your head forcing you to buy a console that happens to include Blu-ray. I assume you haven't bought one yet, right? Because you haven't been forced to, right? Because you are still alive to keep posting on this forum? This applies to everything that's for sale in a free market.

It is the consumer's choice to buy whatever they want. Saying that you should kill yourself because you consider the inclusion of Blu-ray in a console such an important issue so as to lose your life over it is illogical.

What's logical is that companies manufacture products to be sold, based on what they consider unique selling points in the hopes that those USPs will entice consumers to buy their product. You may not like what they offer in their USPs; that's fine. Don't buy their product. You yourself used to buy Sony but have joined Nintendo's camp. That's fine, but if you really joined Nintendo's camp because you thought the PS3 was a bad deal instead of thinking that the Wii was a good deal, then I guess your consumer habits are different than mine. Personally, I buy what I think is worth my money. And for your information, I don't own a PS3.

Also, saying that Sony has forced Blu-ray on you does not mean that you are forced to buy Blu-ray movies, which I believe is the rationale behind your tirade. And I guess that's the reason why you were pro-Sony before? Because Nintendo used proprietary formats in all their consoles?

Did you complain and gripe when Sony released the PS2 with DVD instead of CDR? What was your stance when all consoles bar Nintendo's started coming out with CDR formats? What did you do before optical media came out? Complain about cartridges because they were being forced on you?

If you look at worldwide sales trends, it seems that most people are buying Wiis in droves and not the PS3 precisely because they haven't been forced to consume a $600 product; rather, they find value in a $250 product. If they had been forced to buy the PS3, you'd see their sales would register far higher than they currently are.

Look, I checked your profile, and you yourself claim to enjoy trolling as a hobby. If you want to pick on PS3/Sony fanboys, go ahead. You are welcome to. But if you are targeting me because you think I am a PS3/Sony fanboy, you are sorely mistaken.

I am a wallet-conscious, smart consumer fanboy, and an anti-fanboy fanboy. I'm sure there are much juicier pickings in VGC for you to indulge in your trolling pastime with.

Around the Network

Wow. Just wow. I cannot help thinking the wrong person got banned here. :X ' Oh well.

I think many people need to understand that HD DVD and BD does NOT only relate to movies or TV shows!! It is a STORAGE MEDIA. Rocketpig: Storage media has no relations to TV equipment. So I dun see why only 20% of the TVs can utilize HD DVD. Your Mother: Agreed. Bigger storage gives publisher tha ability to enhance their games with better sound, graphics and length of content. But really gameplay still determines how good a game is. Gballzack: The reason why Sony puts a BD in the PS3 is not only to dominate the Movie Media industry. It is the next storage media for next gen gaming. Have you played "Resistance: Fall of Men"? Do you know how long the game last? Do you know how much capacity the game takes? Or do you just benchmark with old school technology like 4.7gb single layer DVD? I will only have doubts if PS3 launch titles came in DVD format and not BD. Another reason for BD is to decrease the chance of piracy(for the moment). Who in the right mind will torrent a 25gb file, and purchase a BD burner at a price higher than his PS3? Even if the PS3 was hacked..... downloading backups or creating backups are costly. Publishers will feel safer with PS3 in regards to piracy.

Silver_Z said:
I think many people need to understand that HD DVD and BD does NOT only relate to movies or TV shows!! It is a STORAGE MEDIA. Rocketpig: Storage media has no relations to TV equipment. So I dun see why only 20% of the TVs can utilize HD DVD. Your Mother: Agreed. Bigger storage gives publisher tha ability to enhance their games with better sound, graphics and length of content. But really gameplay still determines how good a game is. Gballzack: The reason why Sony puts a BD in the PS3 is not only to dominate the Movie Media industry. It is the next storage media for next gen gaming. Have you played "Resistance: Fall of Men"? Do you know how long the game last? Do you know how much capacity the game takes? Or do you just benchmark with old school technology like 4.7gb single layer DVD? I will only have doubts if PS3 launch titles came in DVD format and not BD. Another reason for BD is to decrease the chance of piracy(for the moment). Who in the right mind will torrent a 25gb file, and purchase a BD burner at a price higher than his PS3? Even if the PS3 was hacked..... downloading backups or creating backups are costly. Publishers will feel safer with PS3 in regards to piracy.

You mean you can burn with Blu-ray with a PS3? If so, I'll get one as soon as I leave the office.

I have that same situation - downloading a 25gb torrent, but don't want to leave it on my computer.

Otherwise, the point you made (highlighted) is moot... but do let me know!

BTW, did you read that other post about NEC's new format? That sounds like the storage solution - fuggedabout Blu-ray or HD-DVD:

"In 2008 NEC brings their new lightreactive protein coated discs to the market. The first ones will offer about 4 Terabyte of space and are aimed for professional data storage companys but the technology allows up to 50TB on a regular CD-sized disk and will be ready for consumers by 2009-2010."

Now that for me is the bomb! 

steverhcp02 said:

You are really an unwelcomed poster at this board, i have yet to see you contribute anything with substance yet here.  You hurl generalized insults and condescending remarks non stop, i hope you get banned here pretty quick.

She contributed some pictures. That alone will make a lot of people happy.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

I think that it is fairly obvious that this sony f-boy can gloat..... at least a little over blu-ray's win.