By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-ray killing hddvd in Europe.

davygee said:
nathantay said:

motion sensing directly affects the way a game can be played, having 50gb of storage does not. 50gb of storage will not be needed this generation of video games.

I think you'll eventually find out that you're wrong with that one.

If you remember back to the original Playstation...it didn't take long for games to come on more than 1 CDRom, then again, with the Dreamcast, Shemnue was on 4 GD-Roms holding 1.2Gb each....then the PS2 started with DVD's holding 4.7Gb on each....then there was multiple DVD games....and now we're onto 25Gb Blu-Ray discs.....I don't think it will be long before we see 50Gb being used....MGS4 apparently needs it.

It will be more of a problem with the 360...when they have to use 3 DVD's to play the same game on 1 Blu-Ray.

I own over 250 dreamcast games over 150 xbox games and over 70 sega saturn games and I can think of maybe 10 or so that are more than one disc so I don't think that storage was that big of a deal to developers. Is it really that big of a deal to switch a disc a few times if the game is good, I mean come on does it really affect the quality of the game. Also please stop bringing up MGS4, Kojima said he needs the extra space that bluray has he didn't say he needed 50gb of space.

Around the Network
nathantay said:
davygee said:
nathantay said:

motion sensing directly affects the way a game can be played, having 50gb of storage does not. 50gb of storage will not be needed this generation of video games.

If you remember back to the original Playstation...it didn't take long for games to come on more than 1 CDRom, then again, with the Dreamcast, Shemnue was on 4 GD-Roms holding 1.2Gb each....then the PS2 started with DVD's holding 4.7Gb on each....then there was multiple DVD games....and now we're onto 25Gb Blu-Ray discs.....I don't think it will be long before we see 50Gb being used....MGS4 apparently needs it.

It will be more of a problem with the 360...when they have to use 3 DVD's to play the same game on 1 Blu-Ray.

I own over 250 dreamcast games over 150 xbox games and over 70 sega saturn games and I can think of maybe 10 or so that are more than one disc so I don't think that storage was that big of a deal to developers. Is it really that big of a deal to switch a disc a few times if the game is good, I mean come on does it really affect the quality of the game. Also please stop bringing up MGS4, Kojima said he needs the extra space that bluray has he didn't say he needed 50gb of space.

Wow!  You are a hell of a winning system picker!!

What console have you chosen for this gen? I think that answer can help a lot of people.

(It was an easy joke, don't take it bad

albhum said:
nathantay said:
davygee said:
nathantay said:

I own over 250 dreamcast games over 150 xbox games and over 70 sega saturn games and I can think of maybe 10 or so that are more than one disc so I don't think that storage was that big of a deal to developers. Is it really that big of a deal to switch a disc a few times if the game is good, I mean come on does it really affect the quality of the game. Also please stop bringing up MGS4, Kojima said he needs the extra space that bluray has he didn't say he needed 50gb of space.

Wow!  You are a hell of a winning system picker!!

What console have you chosen for this gen? I think that answer can help a lot of people.

(It was an easy joke, don't take it bad

I have 13 video game systems in all I just hapened to use those three. This gen I own the 360 and later this year I will buy a Wii. Joke all you want all three of those systems have some amazing games on them but that doesn't matter because they didn't sell 100 million plus like the ps1 or ps2 right.

Calm down, I made clear it was a joke and you shouldn't assume I supported Sony's supremacy in the previous gens. As a matter of fact, ast gen I owned a DC and later a GC, I never had a PS or PS2. This gen I own the 3 systems. As I said it was an easy joke considering you mentioned 3 very famous failures, that was it.

nathantay said:
rocketpig said:
sieanr said:
Do any of you have any idea how long it took DVD to become mainstream? Why would you expect anything different for these HD formats?

I really doubt that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will ever reach the speedy adoption rate of DVD.

DVD didn't require people to buy an entirely new home theatre to achieve quality results with the format. 

They won't reach the speedy adoption rate of dvd because chickensh*t people like you are to scared to out and buy one. You don't need an entirely new home theatre system to achieve quality results from the format. Hdtvs have been out for some time now and you can get a 30" hdtv for under $400 if you don't have one by now or within a few years your just cheap. Please, please stop posting about the hd format wars if you don't have the balls to go out and spend the extra dough for the extra quality that hd gives you. Also I liked your graphs that do show a decline in player sales from 2003 to 2005 and I bet you that from this year on you will see dvd players decline significently.

Jeez, man. Calm down. Do you work for Sony or something? Why do you care if HD-DVD or Bluray achieve the same adoption rate as DVDs?

Either we're cheap - or we have other, more important, things to spend that money on. Like school, a mortgage, car payment, fiance, bills, etc.

Now go to your room and consider putting your fanboyism to sleep.

Around the Network
jorma said:

Image to demonstrate Gballzack accusing people of fanboyism and not reading other peoples comments. Funny stuff! :P

Is it really acceptable to write stuff like "boy, you are dense" in every other post? Just asking, because its quite annoying to others. Well it is to me at least, dunno about the others :P

Oh a baseless acusation, never get any of those.

Is it really acceptable to side step the argument everytime with shallow attacks on my vanity rather than actually participating in part of the debate? Is it that hard for you to bring up one single valid point against me that you're forced to such lows of pointing your finger at me and making blanket statements without any support or backing? Pity, but at least it saves me the trouble of debating with half the people who respond to me.

steverhcp02 said:
so wait, if i buy a snickers im forced to buy chocolate?, what if i want a snickers but dont want chocolate!!!!! Make me a snickers with no chocolate damnit!!!!!  I think peoples problems are they feel if they dont want it its being forced on them, this is an absurd argument especially considering that 95% of the people bitching about it praise the wii......are you kidding me?  Motion sensing control totally revamping how games are played, if Sony put out the Wii we would just read bitch threads abot how they couldnt just stick to normal controls.......the problem is people dont have an issue with blu ray they have an issue with sony and its apparent that the majority of people hating sony for introducing a new storage medium love the new control medium and embrace it.

That's a poor comparison and shows your lack of understanding of the discussion. Snickers most essential element is its chocolate, it's what holds the bar together. Blu-Ray is not essential to the PS3, its supplementary. Perhaps if Snickers bars cost 600 dollars or if chocolate was a controversial untested substance introduced to the Snickers Bar long after it has been on the market then you would have some grounds for comparison but other than that you've really established nothing but your own biased and an unbacked dissagreeal with my argument. At best your comparison of a Snickers bar can be likened to game consoles having metal parts or plastic casings, you really need to think out your analogies a little more carefully.

On a side note in regards to the later discussion, Sony would have to force a game to take up the full space of a Blu-Ray disc, its just not needed for gaming at this point in time and thinking otherwise benefits only those who want Sony games to remain Sony exclusives, not gaming. And don't think the PS3 is going to turn out anything grander than what it already has, PS3 games already have problems with frame rate drops and other processing issues in being pushed to the limit of what the machine can effectivley do. In making the PS3 so powerful you've made it ridiculously handicapped in trying to handle all that information and superficially lowered its ceiling of potential. It's probably the only system I can think of whose utmost potential has been reached in its first year. And don't tell me better looking games are going to be comming out (at least not without more framerate and processing issues) because the current stock of PS3 games can't even run without forced slow motion in many of them to hide the frame rate drops. Tell me I'm wrong all you want but the games speak for themselves.

Yea... baseless.. uhu.. and what points are those you feel you are making? I see none other than trolling and insulting people. I made a comment that you answered with "sony is europes toilet" and "when did europe ever matter in anything". Besides not even being able to spell my nick right. 

Do you feel those were valid points that deserved a serious answer? I think it was closer to "sidestepping the argument and answering with shallow attacks on my vanity". 

Once again. Pot Kettle Black. Twice in a row now, Gballzack.

If you dont want Blu Ray nobody obliges you to buy 1.Stand alone player or Playstation 3 . 2.Even if you buy the Playstation 3 you dont have to buy BR films . But you will still benefit from 1.Great storage media from the BR for games . 2.Multiple localized versions of the game on the same disc and worlwide releases for some games . 3.Way greater resistence to scratchs of the format and better techology (transfer times ,it reads the whole BR instead of "Zones " ,etc ) . As for the topic itself look at this http://www.playfrance.com/news-infos-le-bluray-s-impose-en-europe.html For those of you that dont speak french I will translate it to you briefly :basically BR has 65% of the HD films sold this year in Europe and in the recent weeks the difference is growing to the point of 75% .So I guess we could say Hd-DVD is screwed worlwide by the BR .

jorma said:

Yea... baseless.. uhu.. and what points are those you feel you are making? I see none other than trolling and insulting people. I made a comment that you answered with "sony is europes toilet" and "when did europe ever matter in anything". Besides not even being able to spell my nick right. 

Do you feel those were valid points that deserved a serious answer? I think it was closer to "sidestepping the argument and answering with shallow attacks on my vanity". 

If you can provide anything in the slightest to back up your claims you're more than welcomed to but other than that all I see you doing is arguing semantics and rhetoric. If you can think of a real issue to debate or argue by all means feel free, but until then don't expect anything more than what you're contributing to this discussion: nothing.

Diomedes1976 said:
If you dont want Blu Ray nobody obliges you to buy 1.Stand alone player or Playstation 3 . 2.Even if you buy the Playstation 3 you dont have to buy BR films . But you will still benefit from 1.Great storage media from the BR for games . 2.Multiple localized versions of the game on the same disc and worlwide releases for some games . 3.Way greater resistence to scratchs of the format and better techology (transfer times ,it reads the whole BR instead of "Zones " ,etc ) . As for the topic itself look at this http://www.playfrance.com/news-infos-le-bluray-s-impose-en-europe.html For those of you that dont speak french I will translate it to you briefly :basically BR has 65% of the HD films sold this year in Europe and in the recent weeks the difference is growing to the point of 75% .So I guess we could say Hd-DVD is screwed worlwide by the BR .

But you can't buy a PS3 without the Blu-Ray in it though, and that's at least a 200 dollar contribution to the system's cost if not more. That's the persective of the debate. Please try and read more carefully before responding next time.

Gballzack said:
jorma said:

If you can provide anything in the slightest to back up your claims you're more than welcomed to but other than that all I see you doing is arguing semantics and rhetoric. If you can think of a real issue to debate or argue by all means feel free, but until then don't expect anything more than what you're contributing to this discussion: nothing.

I'm sorry if you are unable to respond in any meaningful way to what i said. By all means, keep trolling and keep insulting people. I can always ignore you i guess.

However if you do feel that there are factual claims that i have yet to back up, please specify them in a non insulting sort of way, and never fear - i shall get right to it! I sort of doubt that you will though :X