By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Blu-ray killing hddvd in Europe.

rocketpig said:
sieanr said:
Do any of you have any idea how long it took DVD to become mainstream? Why would you expect anything different for these HD formats?

I really doubt that HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will ever reach the speedy adoption rate of DVD.

DVD didn't require people to buy an entirely new home theatre to achieve quality results with the format. 

They won't reach the speedy adoption rate of dvd because chickensh*t people like you are to scared to out and buy one. You don't need an entirely new home theatre system to achieve quality results from the format. Hdtvs have been out for some time now and you can get a 30" hdtv for under $400 if you don't have one by now or within a few years your just cheap. Please, please stop posting about the hd format wars if you don't have the balls to go out and spend the extra dough for the extra quality that hd gives you. Also I liked your graphs that do show a decline in player sales from 2003 to 2005 and I bet you that from this year on you will see dvd players decline significently.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
stof said:
Blu Ray beating out HD-DVD (or vice versa) doesn't mean it'll necessarily be the new home standard. Am I the only one that feels like they're not competing for the next DVD so much as they are for the next Laser Disc?

I very much get that feeling. I think it's too much, too soon. If one (or both) of these formats are still around in five years and aren't on the verge of being replaced by a superior format, one might win.

Personally, I doubt it will happen. I think something better will roll around in five years and both will be out the door. 

What will come out in 5 years that will be better than bluray or hddvd both do 1080p which is the highest that tvs will do for a long time. Are you saying that in 5 years tvs will go higher than 1080p.

nathantay said:

They won't reach the speedy adoption rate of dvd because chickensh*t people like you are to scared to out and buy one. You don't need an entirely new home theatre system to achieve quality results from the format. Hdtvs have been out for some time now and you can get a 30" hdtv for under $400 if you don't have one by now or within a few years your just cheap. Please, please stop posting about the hd format wars if you don't have the balls to go out and spend the extra dough for the extra quality that hd gives you. Also I liked your graphs that do show a decline in player sales from 2003 to 2005 and I bet you that from this year on you will see dvd players decline significently.

Are you f***ing kidding me?

You can't be serious, you just can't. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Kidding or not, I sent him his warning.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

nathantay said:

What will come out in 5 years that will be better than bluray or hddvd both do 1080p which is the highest that tvs will do for a long time. Are you saying that in 5 years tvs will go higher than 1080p.

Aren't they already working on a higher resolution for TVs? I seem to remember hearing that a few companies are working on tech that doubles the resolution of 1080p.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. There are more uses for this tech than movies. Remember that the computer industry is going to weigh in on these formats heavily before this is all over.

Around the Network
your mother said:

It's a stopgap solution.  This has happened before, and it will happen again:

Floppy disk  < CD-ROM < DVD-ROM < HD-DVD < Blu-Ray < ?

There will be something to fill in the space reserved by the ?, that's for sure! In time, something will replace ? as well.

However, it's not like you are going to constantly swap discs - you'd probably swap a disc every few hours of gameplay, and in that sense I don't see the problem. Even LOTR (the movie) required you to swap discs due to the extremely long movies they were, but people still bought them in droves.

Very good point: Content is king. For this matter alone, due to the lack of backing by studios, I can see HD-DVD losing the war, regardless of which format is technically superior, which for me is completely irrelevant.

Yes... it has happen before, and it is a good progression. I cant imagine playing high quality console games on a floppy. My point is in regards to thread starter saying "Sony force blu ray on consumers with the PS3". To me, it is a right move and a necessity. Why didn't MS put in HD DVD in the 360, so that games offered can be even better(not implying they are bad now, just improvement over existing). If we are still living in a world where there is only CD, and I have no other choice but to swap disc, then so be it. But since technology has advanced with media capable of huge storage, kudos to the makers for making life better. I do not wanna be stucked in the past.

Silver_Z said:

Why didn't MS put in HD DVD in the 360, so that games offered can be even better(not implying they are bad now, just improvement over existing).

Because they didn't want to price themselves out of the market like Sony has done.

It's a simple case of risk vs. reward. The reward (expanded disc size that can be utilized by ~20% of the TVs in homes) was not worth the risk (+$150-200 on console price).

rocketpig said:
nathantay said:

Are you f***ing kidding me?

You can't be serious, you just can't. 

No I'm not f***ing kidding you why do you think that you are such an expert on this when you don't even own one of them. I'm no expert but at least I went out and looked at all the pros and cons of each format and I bought hddvd. Now I'm not saying that my choice is the right choice but hddvd has the same picture and sound capabilities, it's made by the same company that made dvd, and the players are half the price that's why I bought it. The only difference is that bluray discs hold more, thats it, and to many that doesn't matter because they are buying a format mainly for movies not backing up files. They already have discs coming out years from now that will hold alot more than hddvd or bluray and these will be used by tech geeks to backup files and hddvd or bluray or both will be used primarely for wathcing movies.

Silver_Z said:
your mother said:

It's a stopgap solution. This has happened before, and it will happen again:

Floppy disk < CD-ROM < DVD-ROM < HD-DVD < Blu-Ray < ?

There will be something to fill in the space reserved by the ?, that's for sure! In time, something will replace ? as well.

However, it's not like you are going to constantly swap discs - you'd probably swap a disc every few hours of gameplay, and in that sense I don't see the problem. Even LOTR (the movie) required you to swap discs due to the extremely long movies they were, but people still bought them in droves.

Very good point: Content is king. For this matter alone, due to the lack of backing by studios, I can see HD-DVD losing the war, regardless of which format is technically superior, which for me is completely irrelevant.

Yes... it has happen before, and it is a good progression. I cant imagine playing high quality console games on a floppy. My point is in regards to thread starter saying "Sony force blu ray on consumers with the PS3". To me, it is a right move and a necessity. Why didn't MS put in HD DVD in the 360, so that games offered can be even better(not implying they are bad now, just improvement over existing). If we are still living in a world where there is only CD, and I have no other choice but to swap disc, then so be it. But since technology has advanced with media capable of huge storage, kudos to the makers for making life better. I do not wanna be stucked in the past.

That'd be a no-no!

I do agree that the comment doesn't make sense. Nobody is forcing you, o good consumer, to buy anything. 

Providing a new storage medium with higher capacity does not a good game make. It's what the developers do with the game that counts, but I understand what you want to say.

nathantay said:
No I'm not f***ing kidding you why do you think that you are such an expert on this when you don't even own one of them. I'm no expert but at least I went out and looked at all the pros and cons of each format and I bought hddvd. Now I'm not saying that my choice is the right choice but hddvd has the same picture and sound capabilities, it's made by the same company that made dvd, and the players are half the price that's why I bought it. The only difference is that bluray discs hold more, thats it, and to many that doesn't matter because they are buying a format mainly for movies not backing up files. They already have discs coming out years from now that will hold alot more than hddvd or bluray and these will be used by tech geeks to backup files and hddvd or bluray or both will be used primarely for wathcing movies.

I don't see how owning one or the other makes anyone more of an "expert" when it comes to a format. If anything, it gives you a bias toward one format over the other. I heavily researched both formats and concluded that I'm not touching either one with a ten foot pole for at least the next two years. I'll wait for the dust to settle, the computer industry to start investing, and for players to drop before deciding which format to buy.

Oh, and BTW, I bought a DVD player in 1997 when the cheapest ones were $500. It's not as if I'm new to this whole "switching tech formats" thing. There are too many question marks surrounding each format to get me to invest my money in one of them. And obviously, I'm not in the minority here. Sales for either format aren't exactly shattering any records.