By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Preview Trailer

`Now I am wondering about resolution - 720p it is? For home-play just upscaled or actually rendered at 1080p?

Around the Network
Okie_Loki said:
Soundwave said:

Eh not really. That was one of the most overhyped things in gaming history. 18 months of waiting for basically a revamped version of the Wii U. 

I'll buy it to play Nintendo games sure, but basically I'm being asked to pay another $200-$300 for a "proper" version of the Wii U concept. 

I agree (with soundwave). I think this is what the Wii U should have been and what Nintendo was aiming for with the U originally. As I posted earlier, the Switch looks really cool and I could see it being a knockout for the die hards and loyals. However, I think at this point I'll wear out my Wii U and 3DS for the next few years before considering this console. Lucky for me, I still need to pick up Xenonlade and BotW will be on Wii U as well to last me. 

Except this isn't the Wii U concept.  At all.  The Wii U was about touch screen and second screen augmentation of gaming in a home console space.  Basically, DS concepts writ large.  This is based around taking a traditional home console and making it easily and conveniently portable with all the bells and whistles.  There is no touch screen or second screen functionality of any kind and you only ever game on one screen.

numberwang said:
`Now I am wondering about resolution - 720p it is? For home-play just upscaled or actually rendered at 1080p?

No way to know, just because the tablet may only have a 720p screen doesn't mean that it can't output 1080p even if it seems the dock doesn't contain a cpu/gpu.

Gotta say that looks great, great design and great name... for me, but I can't be the only one to notice the size of the portable device? almost every shot of people going around with it have it in their hands rather than a pocket, because it's pretty damn big, even with the side controllers removed.

Still though, colour me happy, we get to see some great games, some lovely looking 3rd party support lined up there (even more so if they unify the games heading to both 3ds and home system into this bad boy and yeah a great high powered traditional handheld (more or less) This thing seems to piss all over the Vita in terms of power looking at that basketball game they were playing, insane!

But wait.... there is the best thing about this reveal. No more fucking NX threads, 2016 will be a good year as long as there isn't some slow fucker misses this reveal making a thread about NX rumours in the next few days....

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ka-pi96 said:
Eagle367 said:
Is no one gonna say, cartridges are back

They never really left, I mean the Switch`s predecessor (3DS) had them too...

on home consoles. do you really want me to clarify it down to a tee.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network

Don't know if this has already been said, but there was a distinct lack of kids and families in this trailer. Could mean the price will be higher.

Eagle367 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

They never really left, I mean the Switch`s predecessor (3DS) had them too...

Son, NX ain't no home console. It is a portable at heart with a dock.

numberwang said:
Eagle367 said:

Son, NX ain't no home console. It is a portable at heart with a dock.

Whatever you say. But according to you Sony gave up protables and Nintendo gave up home consoles because both weren't selling?

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Ganoncrotch said:
Gotta say that looks great, great design and great name... for me, but I can't be the only one to notice the size of the portable device? almost every shot of people going around with it have it in their hands rather than a pocket, because it's pretty damn big, even with the side controllers removed.

Still though, colour me happy, we get to see some great games, some lovely looking 3rd party support lined up there (even more so if they unify the games heading to both 3ds and home system into this bad boy and yeah a great high powered traditional handheld (more or less) This thing seems to piss all over the Vita in terms of power looking at that basketball game they were playing, insane!

But wait.... there is the best thing about this reveal. No more fucking NX threads, 2016 will be a good year as long as there isn't some slow fucker misses this reveal making a thread about NX rumours in the next few days....

Well they seem to be emphasizing it as a home console experience on the go rather than a handheld like the 3DS.  Partly cause they don't want to trample their own product and partly cause they seem to be going for adults with this one.  A lot of adults don't like to carry handhelds, makes them feel childish (I don't but hey, people are self conscious).  I believe thats why they made this look like a tablet, so it blends in.  And besides, console games have larger worlds, smaller HUDs and text, a larger screen is needed.  

And given nearly everyone carries around tablets, laptops, and phablets now, it could fly better than in previous times.  It will come down to marketing.  Would be ideal if it came with a carryijg bag though.

Ka-pi96 said:
Eagle367 said:

Home consoles? But the Switch is a handheld that has an adapter to plug it in to a TV...

I think this is the kind of debate Nintendo are hoping to see. :P