By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Preview Trailer

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
Barkley said:

Yes the video shows switching, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c6MWsEE884&feature=youtu.be&t=29s.

Notice how gameplay doesn't stop or freeze for a moment, hell he doesn't even have to pause the game. That shows the dock is doing no gpu/cpu calculations, there's not a chance in hell you can just remove hardware that is performing rendering or calculations like that. It's pretty obvious really.

Though the dock could have inbuilt tech to do fancy upscaling it won't actually do any calculations in the game. It won't give additional cpu,gpu or ram. The best you can hope for is that it overclocks the tech already in the tablet.

I wouldn't stick to that, the purpose of the video is to promote the concept, there could be a process in switching screens that wasn't shown

That would make it possible, however that would also make the video highly misleading, basically false advertising :P

But yeah the concept itself would be potentially possible if you had to press a "safely remove tablet" button or something, and the device goes "OH SHIT HE WANTS TO TAKE IT OUT" finishes up everything it's doing and then switches over to just the handheld cpu/gpu.

Though this would give additional work to developers as how software uses CPU threads is quite integral to the actual foundations of the game.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
Also, I disagree with the evolved Wii U sentiment. Wii U was based around touch screen augmentation of traditional gameplay and second screen gaming in the home console space. This is fundamentally neither of those since you are EITHER playing on the tv or the screen and have no functionality on the screen. This is fundamentally based on making a traditional console experience with all the bells and whistles truly and conveniently portable. This is actually an evolution of a much older concept Sony and Nintendo both played with with Sony's smallest PS1 models and the attachable screens for them and with the Gamecube's attachable screen.

It would be cool if there was a way to reverse the process where the middle part of the console connects to the dock and streams to the screen with contorls

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I'll be picking one up fairly close to launch if it's £250 or less probably. Definitely much more excited for it then I was before today. Just need a little more on the software front, one or two more games I want and I'll grab it at launch.

Have they mentioned anything about the specs yet? The game clips they showed had a lot of aliasing, especially the 2nd Mario one (to the extent i'm used to seeing from the WiiU's 720p titles). They could just be using something akin to a WiiU build for the trailer, etc, so knowing the specs would help give context.

Anyway, i can't say i'm sold yet, but it's at least caught my interest. If it's quicker to bring out ambitious games, gets titles normally reserved for their handhelds (such as Pokemon), and the IQ is at least decent, i'll almost definitely end up picking one up somewhere along the line. The extent of those factors will decide how long it'll be between the launch and my purchase.

This is fucking awesome

Around the Network

And yet again Nintendo shut people up.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I want one. Day one. Hopefully Zelda is at launch.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Naum said:

Eh not really. That was one of the most overhyped things in gaming history. 18 months of waiting for basically a revamped version of the Wii U. 

I'll buy it to play Nintendo games sure, but basically I'm being asked to pay another $200-$300 for a "proper" version of the Wii U concept. 

It also shows to me anyway that Nintendo really is out of ideas in terms of coming up with some kind of new craze like the Wiimote was, they haven't come anywhere close to anything new like that again, which I predicted would be very hard for them. 

Naum said:

... By announcing officially what everyone has already been talking about for months. Sure ^^

Soundwave said:
Naum said:

Eh not really. That was one of the most overhyped things in gaming history. 18 months of waiting for basically a revamped version of the Wii U. 

I'll buy it to play Nintendo games sure, but basically I'm being asked to pay another $200-$300 for a "proper" version of the Wii U concept. 

I agree (with soundwave). I think this is what the Wii U should have been and what Nintendo was aiming for with the U originally. As I posted earlier, the Switch looks really cool and I could see it being a knockout for the die hards and loyals. However, I think at this point I'll wear out my Wii U and 3DS for the next few years before considering this console. Lucky for me, I still need to pick up Xenonlade and BotW will be on Wii U as well to last me.