By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No RDR2 for NX. What does this mean for 3rd party support on NX?

OneTime said:
I seriously don't get the "18+ game not on Nintendo" stuff. Nintendo have a really good marketing niche: family friendly. If you're buying a console for your kid, you'll go for Nintendo.

I saw some parents in the game shop the other day, with a kid (12-13 yo) trying to find a PS4 game to buy for him. There was NOTHING appropriate for him. They were bugging the poor shop staff about "are there parental options to turn this 18 game into something suitable for a 12 yo?". Obviously the answer was no, but the guy in the shop did his best to mumble something about checking the settings options.

In reality: if you want games like RDR you'll have already bought a PS4 or XB1. You aren't in the market for a Nintendo system. Nintendo probably don't event want RDR on their system, as it invalidates their main selling point.

You might as well argue that horror movies are popular, so Disney should release some horror movies :)

And what do you do when those kids grow up a bit? You loose your customers, instead of keeping them locked to your platform.

My kids are 10 and 8, and I think Nintendo consoles are perfect for them...they love Zelda, Mario, Kirby and Metroid...but they are growing up fast...I already let them play Souls, because there is nothing really scary there that's not, more or less, in regular D&D dungeon crawler (which they play). Soon they will want to play more of such games, and that is something that Nintedno console can't offer them.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:

And what do you do when those kids grow up a bit? You loose your customers, instead of keeping them locked to your platform.

My kids are 10 and 8, and I think Nintendo consoles are perfect for them...they love Zelda, Mario, Kirby and Metroid...but they are growing up fast...

Yup - Nintendo should just accept that your kids will move on to PlayStation: circle of life.   Well actually, there is the Nintendo nostalgia market:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Nintendo-Entertainment-System/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1124287.html

:)

well R* had GTAV running on wii U dev kits, but still didnt release the game on platform. I personally think it could sell 2 million or more on wii U.
Maybe is the same.
Anyway, we are not getting R* games on NX, despite it could be possible.

KLXVER said:
It means don't buy a NX for third parties...

People still havent learn from Nintendo consoles..... 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

I hope there aren't users who are surprised by the lack of RDR2 on the NX...

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network

It means absolutely nothing. Rockstar doesn't release games on Nintendo platforms, haven't for as far back as I can remember so this would be a rather poor reference when gauging the interest of other third party developers for NX.

OneTime said:
I seriously don't get the "18+ game not on Nintendo" stuff. Nintendo have a really good marketing niche: family friendly. If you're buying a console for your kid, you'll go for Nintendo.

I saw some parents in the game shop the other day, with a kid (12-13 yo) trying to find a PS4 game to buy for him. There was NOTHING appropriate for him. They were bugging the poor shop staff about "are there parental options to turn this 18 game into something suitable for a 12 yo?". Obviously the answer was no, but the guy in the shop did his best to mumble something about checking the settings options.

In reality: if you want games like RDR you'll have already bought a PS4 or XB1. You aren't in the market for a Nintendo system. Nintendo probably don't event want RDR on their system, as it invalidates their main selling point.

You might as well argue that horror movies are popular, so Disney should release some horror movies :)

1st bolded:  Tell that to the millions of parents who DID NOT go for Nintendo during the Wii U era.

2nd bolded: Didnt they funded Bayonetta and Devils Third?

aLkaLiNE said:
It means absolutely nothing. Rockstar doesn't release games on Nintendo platforms, haven't for as far back as I can remember so this would be a rather poor reference when gauging the interest of other third party developers for NX.

Like I said earlier, one of the best GTAs ever made released on the Nintendo DS.

Manhunt 2 released on Wii, and certain versions of that game were the only uncensored option available.

chakkra said:
OneTime said:

1st bolded:  Tell that to the millions of parents who DID NOT go for Nintendo during the Wii U era.

2nd bolded: Didnt they funded Bayonetta and Devils Third?

Yup - I give an example of some parents in my second paragraph :)  Honestly, just search PS4 and then Nintendo on Amazon, you can see the market segmentation up close. 

My point isn't really about preventing categories of games from being released on Nintendo, though: it's about what is the best way for Nintendo to continue as a company.  Nintendo has a style and a brand, and it is extremely distinctive.  Like like Pixar, like Disney, like Apple (a few years back).  

Nintendo with Mario has the power to attract its own fanbase.  RDR2 and GTA are PS4's fanbase.

How many rockstar games have released on a Nintendo platform in the last decade? Chinatown and manhunt 2?

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.