By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Belief in a god is naive and illogical

From the few people I have met that will actually make a big deal about it, these are the reasons they had for believing-

The Bible
Coincidences
Faith
and the infamous "Well why don't you believe?"

Point is, we dont have any proof. And we have no reason to believe anymore. Using science and reasoning we have come up with logical explanations for nearly everything that ever happened. Not only that but we have disproved a ton f the events that have supposedly happened in the bible. Snakes can not talk. Virgins can not give birth unless an extremely rare defect occurs. Humans can not live to be over 400 years old. It is impossible for a flood to last forty days, and it is impossible for the entire world to flood. (yes I am aware most religious people probably dont believe it either)

but the way things are going, religion probably wont last another 100 years. By then science will have long ruled out any possibility that gods existed and it will fall into the realm of obscurity.

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
SkepticallyMinded said:

What reasons have we to suspect any gods exist? I will tell you: none. There exists no empirical evidence for such an entity. There exists no sound arguments for such an entity either which explains why virtually all philosophers are non-believers.

Ahem. There's no comprehensive explanation for the existence of the universe. Only religion claims to explain it. It's no evidence but it definitely explain a lot about why people tend to be religious: it's the only explanation we have so far. I'm not saying it's the correct explanation, but you don't really have to look very far to see why people are inclined to be religious. If you think about what we know, first everything was condensed into a very tiny point, and suddenly there was a humongous universe. For all we know, everything was just waiting there forever waiting to explode into a huge universe spontaneously.

And yes, I believe that's the most plausible theory there is right now. I don't think it's a good one, but until there's a better one, this will have to do. But it sounds insane and leaves an interesting question open: where did the original point of matter come from? Don't be so surprised people have a hard time thinking religiously. There's probably other reasons as well for faith, but I think this is the one that's related to reason the most.

But what you're aruging is a "god of the gaps" argument. That is, a god represents an answer to every question that humans have yet to be able to answer, and nothing more. It also means that as time goes on, and the pool of knowledge mankind has continues to grow, that god's impact get's smaller and smaller and smaller. All this truly means then, is that it's just a matter of time before mankind can demonstrate beyond a reasonable doubt that any god was never there to begin with.

God(s) used to control when then sun rises and sets. God(s) used to control the oceans and the tides. God(s) used to control the seasons and the weather. Now we know they don't do any of that. Now gods appear on pieces of toast, and crying statues. How will gods make their presence known in 100 years time? By the Cubs winning the World Series? I don't know, but I doubt anyone who says a burning bush told them rules that mankind will follow will be taken seriously any time soon.

It could be if God isn't real. But what if God is real but we just dont know it til we are dead? You never know tbh.

jason1637 said:
It could be if God isn't real. But what if God is real but we just dont know it til we are dead? You never know tbh.

Humanity has created thousands of gods throughout the millenia humans have existed on this planet. What if you chose the wrong one? What if the real true god hasn't been worshipped correctly in 100,000 years and has been smiting everyone on earth to an eternity of hell since?

Essentially - you're a gnostic athiest for every single god mankind has created except for one, we're just athiests for one more than you.

potato_hamster said:
Zkuq said:

Ahem. There's no comprehensive explanation for the existence of the universe. Only religion claims to explain it. It's no evidence but it definitely explain a lot about why people tend to be religious: it's the only explanation we have so far. I'm not saying it's the correct explanation, but you don't really have to look very far to see why people are inclined to be religious. If you think about what we know, first everything was condensed into a very tiny point, and suddenly there was a humongous universe. For all we know, everything was just waiting there forever waiting to explode into a huge universe spontaneously.

And yes, I believe that's the most plausible theory there is right now. I don't think it's a good one, but until there's a better one, this will have to do. But it sounds insane and leaves an interesting question open: where did the original point of matter come from? Don't be so surprised people have a hard time thinking religiously. There's probably other reasons as well for faith, but I think this is the one that's related to reason the most.

But what you're aruging is a "god of the gaps" argument. That is, a god represents an answer to every question that humans have yet to be able to answer, and nothing more. It also means that as time goes on, and the pool of knowledge mankind has continues to grow, that god's impact get's smaller and smaller and smaller. All this truly means then, is that it's just a matter of time before mankind can demonstrate beyond a reasonable doubt that any god was never there to begin with.

God(s) used to control when then sun rises and sets. God(s) used to control the oceans and the tides. God(s) used to control the seasons and the weather. Now we know they don't do any of that. Now gods appear on pieces of toast, and crying statues. How will gods make their presence known in 100 years time? By the Cubs winning the World Series? I don't know, but I doubt anyone who says a burning bush told them rules that mankind will follow will be taken seriously any time soon.

LOL this may happen this year.

Around the Network

There's nothing illogical about it. Can YOU create a star? A planet? A life from scratch? A universe? Can you show me any scientist who can? no? Well until you can, you're not really in any position to tell me I shouldn't believe in God.

Paperboy_J said:
There's nothing illogical about it. Can YOU create a star? A planet? A life from scratch? A universe? Can you show me any scientist who can? no? Well until you can, you're not really in any position to tell me I shouldn't believe in God.

Well scientists actually do know how stars and planets and universes are created and we have created life in a lab. So that's 4 our of 4 covered right there.

And therein lies the point of the argument. Your belief in your god hinges on what mankind cannot yet explain. Yet.

Solid-Stark said:
Not that I'm arguing against, just some curious observations I've made on this debate. You say we learn what is known, but what we learn half the time are theories and inferences to the best explanations which tend to change (and even tossed out!) upon actual discovery. Science backtracks when it needs to. What can be said then? And the scientific method? Inconsistency isn't tolerated in logic. And let's use the same basis, is this your proof that God doesn't exist?

Just a perspective.

We don't really know anything about nature for sure. There's just varying levels of uncertainty. When we say we know something, we really mean the level of uncertainty is so low it's not meaningful in any practical manner. But drawing the line isn't that easy. A scientific theory is a model that aims to explain the way things work, and commonly accepted theories are accepted because they're deemed to explain things better than other theories. There's no absolute certainty about anything in natural sciency.

potato_hamster said:
Zkuq said:

Yes and no. The thing is, there's still enough unknown things for there to be room for a god (or several) for people to believe in, and for all we know, there will always be. Or perhaps we'll find evidence of a god (or several) once we learn more about nature. I think the most likely thing to happen is like you said, that when we learn more about nature, there's going to be less and less room for a god, and people will finally stop believing, but we're not there yet and you can't say for sure we'll ever be there. For now, to say there's no god(s), you have to believe that what hasn't been proven to exist doesn't exist. I'm pretty sure it's a widely taken stance in science, but I don't think it's quite right (although I do think it's quite close). I'd say it would be wise to assume (instead of 'believe') that what hasn't been proven to exist doesn't exist, and it pretty much fixes the problem.

Anyway, I think I got a bit sidetracked. I was just trying to point out a potential reason, a reasonable one, why people might think there is a god (or several).

And another one...one gets locked, two more take its place. Mods. You need to fucking clean up this site.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

potato_hamster said:
jason1637 said:

Humanity has created thousands of gods throughout the millenia humans have existed on this planet. What if you chose the wrong one? What if the real true god hasn't been worshipped correctly in 100,000 years and has been smiting everyone on earth to an eternity of hell since?

Essentially - you're a gnostic athiest for every single god mankind has created except for one, we're just athiests for one more than you.

Personally, I don't believe in a specific God to avoid believing in the wrong God if God is real. I just believe that there's a God and something will happen after you die based on your actions on earth. That's it .