By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony: OK with PSVR on PC in future

Kerotan said:

Let's say after it releases on pc the vr market does 1 million sales in the next 12 months after.  I'd call 250k of those for psvr.  So anything around 20/25% of sales going to it.  

I could see a percentage like that happening if it comes out within the next 12 months and supports more than just the PS store (Assuming it will).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Kerotan said:

Let's say after it releases on pc the vr market does 1 million sales in the next 12 months after.  I'd call 250k of those for psvr.  So anything around 20/25% of sales going to it.  

I could see a percentage like that happening if it comes out within the next 12 months and supports more than just the PS store (Assuming it will).

My prediction is also with the assumption it will. 

SvennoJ said:
danielrdp said:

PS VR is not that much cheaper than other VR Headsets such as OS VR. Most of the best PS VR games are or will also be available on PC. For example Battlezone is scheduled to release on rift at some point. Don't forget things such as Revive exist as well.  Why wouldn't some one come up with PSvive. And the most important thing of all is that PS VR tracking solution is awful. 

It is here: CAD 615 for headset plus camera, CAD 850 for OR with camera.
Bundle with move, CAD 699, OR + Touch CAD 1130
HTC Vive is not in shops here, you can import it for CAD 1700 on Amazon.
Cheapest PSVR ready console CAD 380 (or get one second hand for even less), cheapest Rift ready PC CAD 1700.

The tracking solution is far from awful. It's far from perfect too, yet a lot more good than bad. In 25 hours I've only had 1 show stopping problem that required restarting the game. Hold option button down to reset your position works well enough.
The biggest problem is tracking the DS4. If it's not facing towards the camera it can't see the light bar.

Anyway I hope they'll share games, and make headsets interchangeable. Kinda ridiculous to need different tvs for different games... Hopefully there will be some standard protocol in the near future.

Sorry, I wasn't comparing PS VR with Vive or Rift, but with OS VR. The budget headset from Razer that costs £399. I believe it's CAD 450.  I have to strongly disagree that PS Camera + move aren't awful.  Just compare :

Vive tracking solution: The device uses more than 70 sensors including a MEMS gyroscopeaccelerometer and laser position sensors, and is said to operate in a 15 feet by 15 feet (4.6 meters by 4.6 meters) tracking space if used with both "Lighthouse" base stations that track the user's movement with sub-millimeter precision. The Lighthouse system was designed by Alan Yates and uses simple photosensors on any object that needs to be captured; to avoid occlusion problems this is combined with two lighthouse stations that sweep structured light lasers within a space.

Rift: Constellation is the headset's positional tracking system, used to track the position of the user's head as well as other VR devices, consisting of external infrared tracking sensors which optically track specially designed VR devices. The constellation sensor comes with a stand of a desk lamp form factor, but has standard screw holes and can be detached from this stand and mounted anywhere appropriate to the user.The Rift, or any other device being tracked by the system, is fitted with a series of precisely positioned infrared LEDs under or above the surface, set to blink in a specific pattern. By knowing the configuration of the LEDs on the objects and their pattern, the system can determine the precise position of the device with sub-millimeter accuracy and near-zero latency, with near-zero lag.Constellation can be used with a single tracking sensor or with multiple sensors working together.

PS Move:The PlayStation Move motion controller features an orb at the head which can glow in any of a full range of colors using RGBlight-emitting diodes (LEDs).Based on the colors in the user environment captured by the camera, the system dynamically selects an orb color that can be distinguished from the rest of the scene. The colored light serves as an active marker, the position of which can be tracked along the image plane by the camera.

danielrdp said:
SvennoJ said:

It is here: CAD 615 for headset plus camera, CAD 850 for OR with camera.
Bundle with move, CAD 699, OR + Touch CAD 1130
HTC Vive is not in shops here, you can import it for CAD 1700 on Amazon.
Cheapest PSVR ready console CAD 380 (or get one second hand for even less), cheapest Rift ready PC CAD 1700.

The tracking solution is far from awful. It's far from perfect too, yet a lot more good than bad. In 25 hours I've only had 1 show stopping problem that required restarting the game. Hold option button down to reset your position works well enough.
The biggest problem is tracking the DS4. If it's not facing towards the camera it can't see the light bar.

Anyway I hope they'll share games, and make headsets interchangeable. Kinda ridiculous to need different tvs for different games... Hopefully there will be some standard protocol in the near future.

Sorry, I wasn't comparing PS VR with Vive or Rift, but with OS VR. The budget headset from Razer that costs £399. I believe it's CAD 450.  I have to strongly disagree that PS Camera + move aren't awful.  Just compare :

Vive tracking solution: The device uses more than 70 sensors including a MEMS gyroscopeaccelerometer and laser position sensors, and is said to operate in a 15 feet by 15 feet (4.6 meters by 4.6 meters) tracking space if used with both "Lighthouse" base stations that track the user's movement with sub-millimeter precision. The Lighthouse system was designed by Alan Yates and uses simple photosensors on any object that needs to be captured; to avoid occlusion problems this is combined with two lighthouse stations that sweep structured light lasers within a space.

Rift: Constellation is the headset's positional tracking system, used to track the position of the user's head as well as other VR devices, consisting of external infrared tracking sensors which optically track specially designed VR devices. The constellation sensor comes with a stand of a desk lamp form factor, but has standard screw holes and can be detached from this stand and mounted anywhere appropriate to the user.The Rift, or any other device being tracked by the system, is fitted with a series of precisely positioned infrared LEDs under or above the surface, set to blink in a specific pattern. By knowing the configuration of the LEDs on the objects and their pattern, the system can determine the precise position of the device with sub-millimeter accuracy and near-zero latency, with near-zero lag.Constellation can be used with a single tracking sensor or with multiple sensors working together.

PS Move:The PlayStation Move motion controller features an orb at the head which can glow in any of a full range of colors using RGBlight-emitting diodes (LEDs).Based on the colors in the user environment captured by the camera, the system dynamically selects an orb color that can be distinguished from the rest of the scene. The colored light serves as an active marker, the position of which can be tracked along the image plane by the camera.

Ah, but that isn't out yet? I can only find HDK kits on their site at $299 and $399. OR increased their price for the consumer version, don't count your chickens before they hatch ;)

It's not awful cause I have been using it without major issues for over 25 hours. I'm sure job simulator will be a better experience on Vive, yet I had no trouble playing the demo on psvr with move. And I played through all of Wayward sky without any issues. I drew in 3D in Harmonix music VR without any issues. Awful is the kind of tracking you got on Kinect with Steel Battalion.

Btw Move is a lot more than just the orb at the top... DS4 tracking is not as bad as I thought it was either. The playroom VR uses it correctly. It does tend to drift rotationally which is odd as the system knows which way you are looking, so if it can see the controller you must be pointing it forward. It's simple to reset anyway, but it shows there is still plenty room in software solutions to combine information from different controllers and the headset together.

I do think Sony made the right call this time, keeping development costs down and rewarding people that already invested in move and the camera. Plus plenty second hand units out there to get in cheap. I do expect them to come up with a new tracking solution for psvr 2.0 to eliminate any drift and dead spots.

Sony confirmed to be okay with selling their hardware! It hasn't been a busy news day huh? I've seen videos of it already being used with the Wii-U and X1 through the Cinema mode so it's not that shocking that since it can be connected to the PC directly there will be people already working on getting software to allow this to be used for various things on the platform, but yeah Sony are selling PSVR at a profit, I doubt they'd give a rats if people are buying them to build a dam across a river, it's all money.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive