By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Data/account transfer from old to new PS4 system

So I'm planning the best way to transfer all my PS4 data (with multiple accounts) to a PS4 Pro. I currently have a 1.75 TB HDD in my old PS4 and want to use that HDD in the PS4 Pro after the transfer.

It contains ~1.5 TB data, but to speed up the process (and to fit the data temporarily on the default  1-TB-HDD if necessary), I could delete some stuff.

Plan A: switching HDDs

• update the firmwares for both PS4s, so they are the same
  • deactivate the old PS4 as "primary console" for all my PSN accounts
  • power down the old PS4, extract the internal 1.75-TB-HDD, put that into the PS4 Pro
  • power up the new PS4 Pro
  • activate the new PS4 Pro as "primary console" for all my PSN accounts
  • sell the old PS4 with the 1-TB-HDD

That would be the easiest way but is it possible? Or is the HDD-data encrypted for the old PS4 system and the new PS4 can't use it and will format it instead?

Plan B: backup/restore

• backup the 1.5 TB data to an external 2-TB-HDD (probably takes 10 - 15 hours)
  • power down the old PS4, extract the internal 1.75-TB-HDD, put that into the PS4 Pro, onect the external HDD to the PS4 Pro
  • power up the new PS4 Pro (probably takes another 10 - 15 hours)
  • restore the backup from the external HDD to the internal 1.75-TB-HDD

Would that work... restoring a backup to a different PS4?  According to the PS4 users guide only the "system software" (firmware) has to be the same, not the hardware: "The system software on the PS4™ system to be restored must be the same version as that on the PS4™ system from which the data was backed up."

I'd have to be patient due to the long backup and restore procedures, but are there any other downsides?

Plan C: transferring data via ethernet cable to PS4 Pro 1 TB

• delete some stuff so it will fit on the 1-TB-HDD of the PS4 Pro
  • connect both PS4s to the same LAN-network and power both up
  • on new PS4 Pro: sign in to PSN (with my main account)... that should automatically start the data transfer screen  
  • transferring the ~900 GB data via ethernet to the new PS4 Pro (probably takes 3 - 5 hours)
  • power down the old PS4 and extract the 1.75-TB-HDD
  • backup the ~900 GB data to an external HDD (probably takes 5 - 10 hours)
  • power down the new PS4 Pro
  • put the 1.75-TB-HDD into the PS4 Pro
  • restore the backup from the external HDD (probably takes another 5 - 10 hours)
  • redownload/reinstall the deleted games (could take a while)

That whole process would take quite long and a lot of steps... time is money, so if Plan A + B aren't possible, I have a Plan D:

Plan D: buying new HDD + transferring data via ethernet cable to PS4 Pro 2+ TB

• buy a new 2-TB-HDD for the PS4 Pro (or even bigger, if 15mm HDDs fit into the PS4 Pro HDD cage)
  • put the new HDD in the new PS4 Pro
  • on new PS4 Pro: sign in to PSN (with my main account)... that should automatically start the data transfer screen  
  • transferring the ~1.5 TB data via ethernet to the new PS4 Pro (probably takes 5 - 8 hours)
  • sell the old PS4 with the 1.75-TB-HDD (slightly higher selling price than with 1-TB-HDD)

Especially if the PS4 Pro supports bigger HDDs than 2 TB, I'm tending to Plan D.

Do you see some errors in the procedures above? What are your own upgrade plans if you switch from your old PS4 system to another PS4 (PS4 Pro, PS4 Slim, a limited/special PS4-edition, a replacement for a broken PS4...)?

P.S.: I forgot the simplest one, if you have a fast internet connection and don't mind losing P.T. or other content deleted from the PS Store.

Plan E: just redownload everything from the PS Store

• power down the old PS4... disconnect it, sell it, whatever
  • optional: insert a different HDD/SSHD/SSD into the new PS4 Pro
  • savegames/settings should be downloaded automatically from PSN cloud after that
  • redownload all games / content from the PS Store

Around the Network

I'm getting a pro as well--and I intend to keep my old ps4, too. This thread is of great interest to me. I already have two Xbox One consoles and I am very pleased with how that turned out. Hopefully the transition to two PS4s will be equally awesome and painless.

Perfect timing for this thread. Looking forward to suggestions, especially on how to deactivate a PS4.

as you mentioned Plan A very likely doesn't work due to encryption - it wasn't possible with PS3s for that reason and I doubt Sony has changed that with the PS4

Conina said:

Plan D: buying new HDD + transferring data via ethernet cable to PS4 Pro 2+ TB

• buy a new 2-TB-HDD for the PS4 Pro (or even bigger, if 15mm HDDs fit into the PS4 Pro HDD cage)
  • put the new HDD in the new PS4 Pro
  • transferring the ~1.5 TB data via ethernet to the new PS4 Pro (probably takes 5 - 8 hours)
  • sell the old PS4 with the 1.75-TB-HDD (slightly higher selling price than with 1-TB-HDD)

Especially if the PS4 Pro supports bigger HDDs than 2 TB, I'm tending to Plan D.

Do you see some errors in the procedures above? What are your own upgrade plans if you switch from your old PS4 system to another PS4 (PS4 Pro, PS4 Slim, a limited/special PS4-edition, a replacement for a broken PS4...)?

I'm currently tending to Plan D.

If the PS4Pro HDD cage is still too small for 15mm HDDs, I will probably buy this one for it:

https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/5/5/b/6/84df552c80638e8d826532ec6f4a1e1f5103.pdf

It should be the fastest 2TB-HDD that fits in a PS4... it is the only 2TB-SSHD model available (existing?)

Around the Network

I've just gotten a 2tb HDD. This one, actually....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I8O6OQ4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm going to toss it into my paltry 500gb PS4, tomorrow. I'm not sure if it's better or worse than the one currently running in my PS4, though. I went to a gaming site (Games radar, I think) and they had an article about best PS4 HDDs.

Here's where you come in. The PS4 pro will have a 1TB HDD. Is it a good idea to put the 2TB HDD in the Pro and the 1TB into the standard PS4? Will it adversely effect performance? I can't tell if that's a quality HDD or not because I suck. I do want the Pro RI have the most space since that's the one I'll be using the most.

Oh, and I'm just going to delete and redownload everything. As long as my saves are safe in the cloud and I've already backed up PT, it should go well.

It's cool that there are so many options to transfer data from as PS4 to another. This will probably be very useful for those who have a PS4 and get a Pro.

I plan on buying an SSD and just using the transfer cable to take everything from my old PS4. Either keep the 1TB for a PC build or throwing it in the old PS4 to attract buyers.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

d21lewis said:

Here's where you come in. The PS4 pro will have a 1TB HDD. Is it a good idea to put the 2TB HDD in the Pro and the 1TB into the standard PS4? Will it adversely effect performance? I can't tell if that's a quality HDD or not because I suck. I do want the Pro RI have the most space since that's the one I'll be using the most.

Yeah, you should put the 2TB HDD in the PS4 Pro and the 1TB HDD of the Pro into the old PS4... the 1TB is probably even a bit faster than the 0.5TB stock HDD