By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Data/account transfer from old to new PS4 system

Conina said:
d21lewis said:

Here's where you come in. The PS4 pro will have a 1TB HDD. Is it a good idea to put the 2TB HDD in the Pro and the 1TB into the standard PS4? Will it adversely effect performance? I can't tell if that's a quality HDD or not because I suck. I do want the Pro RI have the most space since that's the one I'll be using the most.

Yeah, you should put the 2TB HDD in the PS4 Pro and the 1TB HDD of the Pro into the old PS4... the 1TB is probably even a bit faster than the 0.5TB stock HDD

Thanks! I really should pay more attention to specs but now, I'm more confident. Transition should be quick and painless.

You know what would really be cool? If the Pro supports external hard drives.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

I agree, upgrading from an Xbox One to an Xbox Scorpio will be a breeze thanks to support of external HDDs.

Conina said:
d21lewis said:

I agree, upgrading from an Xbox One to an Xbox Scorpio will be a breeze thanks to support of external HDDs.

This is something Sony absolutly needs to get figured out. The inability to use external storage, and download from the browser is a major step backwards from PS3. Even if we couldn't play from the external Storage, I could at least be transfering my stuff to that, and be ready to transfer to the Pro as needed once it arrives. I don't want to be sitting waiting for 2TB of data to transfer, and with the new 1TB per month cap on data, and the amount of PlayStation Vue, WWE Network, and Netflix streaming we do, redownloading is not an option.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Well I'm hoping I won't have to transfer data because I'm looking forward to getting the PS4 Pro with the 1 terabyte hard drive. I hope this will be enough space for me for quite some time.

I did the 2TB swap yesterday. So far, so good. No way I can get by with a 1TB HDD on the Pro or even my original PS4, now. Any suggestions on what is the best value in a quality 2tb?

Reliability, speed, and price are most important. Should I use the same one I used earlier this week? You're my "go to guy" when it comes to storage, now.

Around the Network
Conina said:
Conina said:

Plan D: buying new HDD + transferring data via ethernet cable to PS4 Pro 2+ TB

• buy a new 2-TB-HDD for the PS4 Pro (or even bigger, if 15mm HDDs fit into the PS4 Pro HDD cage)
  • put the new HDD in the new PS4 Pro
  • update the firmwares for both PS4s, so they are the same
  • deactivate the old PS4 as "primary console" for all my PSN accounts
  • connect both PS4s to the same LAN-network and power both up
  • on new PS4 Pro: sign in to PSN (with my main account)... that should automatically start the data transfer screen  
  • transferring the ~1.5 TB data via ethernet to the new PS4 Pro (probably takes 5 - 8 hours)
  • activate the new PS4 Pro as "primary console" for all my PSN accounts
  • sell the old PS4 with the 1.75-TB-HDD (slightly higher selling price than with 1-TB-HDD)

Especially if the PS4 Pro supports bigger HDDs than 2 TB, I'm tending to Plan D.

Do you see some errors in the procedures above? What are your own upgrade plans if you switch from your old PS4 system to another PS4 (PS4 Pro, PS4 Slim, a limited/special PS4-edition, a replacement for a broken PS4...)?

I'm currently tending to Plan D.

If the PS4Pro HDD cage is still too small for 15mm HDDs, I will probably buy this one for it:

https://gzhls.at/blob/ldb/5/5/b/6/84df552c80638e8d826532ec6f4a1e1f5103.pdf

It should be the fastest 2TB-HDD that fits in a PS4... it is the only 2TB-SSHD model available (existing?)

Well, damn. That was a fast reply. Answered the question before I even asked it!

Tag.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Plan A doesn't work I tried it before when I sold my original PS4 I took out my 1TB SSHD which had around 600GB of games on it that I had used from launch thinking i would be able to slot it straight into the MGS V LE console when it released 2 months later and it makes you format the HDD when you power the new console up.

Plan D is in progress

• buy a new 2-TB-HDD for the PS4 Pro  *check*

• turn on the old PS4, connected via LAN cable to the LAN-hub *check*
  • update the firmware for the old PS4 *check*
  • deactivate the old PS4 as "primary console" for all your PSN accounts*check*
  • put the new HDD in the new PS4 Pro (screwdriver needed) *check*
  • copy the newest PS4 firmware (850 MB full version, not the 300 MB update version!!!) on a USB stick into the folders PS4/UPDATE... you find it here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/#newinstallation *check*
  • stick the USB-stick into the PS4 Pro *check*
  • turn on new PS4 Pro, connected via LAN cable to the same LAN-hub *check*
  • if the USB-stick is recognized and the correct firmware-file is in the correct folder, the system installation should start *check*
  • on new PS4 Pro: sign in to PSN (with my main account)... that should automatically start the data transfer screen  *check*
  • transferring ~800 GB data via ethernet to the new PS4 Pro (probably takes around 3 - 4 hours, current transfer speed is 4.2 GB per minute) *running*
  • activate the new PS4 Pro as "primary console" for all my PSN accounts
  • re-download and/or re-install temporarily deleted games
  • sell the old PS4 with the 1.75-TB-HDD (slightly higher selling price than with 1-TB-HDD)

My current update/transfer mess:

After cleaning the shelf, the Wii U is back in its place and the PS4 Pro is already in its new place and fully connected. The old PS4 is currently connected to the HDMI and LAN cables normally used for my Xbox One.

Just in case you're wondering, if you pop your old PS4 HDD back into the console, all of your old content is there and ready to go. I guess you can pop multiple HDDs in and out without having to go through any sort of lengthy process.

My copy of PT is safe!!