By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The party is almost over for Xbox.

Lrdfancypants said:
Guitarguy said:

I can definitely see both sides to this. For one, North America(I'm assuming NPD covers the entire North American region and not just the USA) is a huge market for gaming so it is a victory there but also MS is getting outsold 2:1 worldwide, so that aspect would be disappointing to them I believe.

Also last gen the 360 clobbered the PS3 in the U.S. by around 20 million units right?  It's about 1.5+million units behind this gen?  It's hard to imagine they leap past the ps4 and end up 20 million ahead by the end of this generation.  This could end in a monumental swing.  

Not sure how much in front the 360 was in the U.S but it was substantial. I don't think the Xbox One can catch up to the PS4 at this stage though as we are 3 years in and the PS4 is still selling very well in the U.S. and the Pro is coming out next month but time will tell either way.

Around the Network
Radek said:

I'm pretty sure that with all the 4K Blu-Ray, 4K streaming, 4K upscaler and HDR written all over Xbox One S, some percentage of consumers actually think it's the rival of PS4 Pro. Especially since both S and Scorpio start with an "S" and both come out this holiday (PS4 Pro and XB1 S)

Sony couldn't have predicted Microsoft would use 4K Blu-Ray player in Slim, since slim consoles were always been about cutting cost. Shrinking size, weight and manufacturing process. I'm gonna say it here and now, if it wasn't for 4K Blu-Ray Xbox One S 500 gb would cost 250$ and PS4 Slim would cost 300$. PS4 Slim has no 4K Blu-ray but price of the console has dropped by 50$ from the 350$ just few weeks ago.

For over 2 years they always were 50$ apart from each other, with 4K Blu-Ray price had to stay the same for XB1, this is not ideal for all the consumers. Not everyone wants 4K Blu-Ray either because they don't have 4K TV or don't buy movies and 50$ cheaper would be better for them. OG Xbox One's will all sell out soon so everyone will have to pay up for 4K Blu-Ray even if they don't want it. Like it or not Xbox One S would be 249$ without UHD Blu-Ray.

Well,

I agree that clearly Sony thought that MS had no intention of adding a 4k bluray player the he XB1s.  The real shocker was that Sony believed that a 4k bluray player is not important enough to even add to the PS4pro.  I doubt that a $15 part cost difference between the bluray and 4k bluray really equates to your estimate of $50.  If you look at the price point of the XB1s, it includes a game so it isn't as out of line as you think.  MS was planning for the christmas/holiday end of year period.  They can now do "specials" with every retailer with larger discounts during the most important 60 days of the year.

Shortly after the new year around mid February they will drop the price $50 like they seem to do every year. 

It is near the end of the end....

$199 PS4S on BF and CM anyone?

Pro won't get sales directly... it will be throwins like PS+, controllers, games and possibly 4k TV bundles.

Hardcore_gamer said:
niceguygameplayer said:

With 3 months of Xbox victory over PS4 on the NPDs, Microsoft must be pleased. However, if you look at Amazon, PS4 Pro is doing very well. It is the number one selling console. It is still weeks from release. November looks like it will be an NPD slaughter for Xbox One. PS4 Pro should be a mega hit. 

Lol u guys still counting on Amazon ? 

Why not? It has a 95+% accuracy rate this gen, so far. Now, when that dips closer to the 70s, we'll probably give it less thought.

Radek said:
Lrdfancypants said:

I also think the Xbox one s actually offers more of an upgrade reason than the ps4 slim for regular owners of either. 

There is not much reason for a ps4 owner to upgrade to a slim.  It's not like it was large to begin with.  

Why would owners of original console even consider getting the Slim model with the same hardware? HDR is already in PS4, if they want to upgrade they get PS4 Pro. The only upgrade option for people who have OG XB1 is XB1 S which has UHD bluray and HDR with the same specs. People should boycott Microsoft for not enabling HDR in the regular Xbox One though. Does Microsoft expect people to buy Xbox One, then Xbox One S and then Scorpio next year? 

eva01beserk said:
Lrdfancypants said:

We will see if people choose to upgrade to the Xbox one s or not. 

My point was that it does have things that would be considered an upgrade where as the ps4 s does not which you reinforced.  Even the original ps4 wasn't exactly bulky. 

the ps4 s is not suposed to be an upgrade, the pro is the upgrade. original ownes would jump to it, new buyers who dont want to spend the extra money will buy the slim.

Like radek said, the x1s is not much of an upgrade if all it has is a 4k bluray players and they held the hdr update on the original, if anything consumers should be angry at MS for not allowing hdr on original x1 and forcing people to upgrade.

And also, dont think ps4 pro is stealing only ps4 sales now, Im pretty sure a lot of people planing on geting the x1 decided to wait for the pro and skip the x1.

The OG Xbox can't do HDR. Technically when the first batch of 8th gen consoles released, the PS4 (and Xbox) were listed as being HDMI1.4 compliant. At the time of design for Ps4/Xb1, the newer HDMI standard, HdMI2.0 hadn't been established yet but this new standard would be required for HDR (10-bit and 12-bit color depths) and 4k@60fps to be possible. HDMI1.4 only allows for 8-bit color depth (which means no HDR) and the bandwidth of the old standard maxes out for 4K content at 24fps.

Anyway, at launch Sony said the Ps4 was only HDMI1.4 compliant but there are plenty of interviews where Mark Cerny has talked about the semi-custom design of the console.... Well, as it turns out, some users on GAF did a tear down on the Ps4 and discovered that the HDMI chip on the motherboard for Ps4 was different and alluded to HDR being possible as well as 4K blu-Ray via firmware patch, but I digress. No one believed these two users and they were mocked by a large portion of the community. Turns out they were at least partially right ~ Sony had to have made an educated guess at what the new HDMI2.0 standard would look like as they would have known that 4K and HDR were to be the next thing for TVs, so they future proofed the Ps4 by including a beefed up HDMI port and here we are today. They also had to have known that 4K blu Ray was next, since they had been pioneering triple layer and quad layer UHD discs from the start and there's reason to believe that triple layer discs can be read by the disc drive on the Ps4, but that's a different topic.

Around the Network

Hell, if PS VR is selling as great as Sony claims, October could very easily be a PS4 NPD victory.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Sony is hitting one home run after another these days, PSVR seems to be a real mover as well.
MS is doing all they can, but it is hard to compete.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

November sure will be interesting.

Beat it only in US,,, Ps4 World Wide/Overall is destroying Xbox...

In Sony We Trust!

Xbox got Gears of War 4. That is a pretty huge title and can give xbox the boost it needs.