By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - September 2016 NPD Thread! XBO #1; PS4 Slim flops

cmay227 said:
aLkaLiNE said:

Substantially better Wi-Fi card that supports 5ghz frequency,  SATA 3 support so we can take full advantage of the speed that an SSD will bring, a massive increase in GPU performance (1.8tflops to 4.2tflops), an increase in RAM speed/frequency, an up clocked CPU, hardware based upscaling to 4K (no resources pulled from the CPU to do this), and I think that's all that's been revealed so far. According to Cerny there are other hardware customizations that will be brought to light at his keynote.

Those are some things.

Xbox one has always had 5ghz wifi. Xbox one s has SATA 3 interface as well.  I am not saying theirs no difference. Just wanted to point out the those two things. Also Xbox one s does hardware upscaling to 4k as well. The pro is just more powerful and that's about it. And can do VR marginally better then the ps4. Which is just a little bit better then Samsung's gear VR.  

Og Xbox is on sata 2, Xb1s has a sata 3 HDD but the interface itself is still sata 2 which means that you still couldn't hit full speed on an internal SSD. That's aside from the fact that the hard drive on the Xbox is not designed to be replaced to begin with and your warranty is voided if you do, and that the xb1s still comes with a 5400RPM HDD. The only viable way to improve your load times with an SSD on Xbox is using an external hard drive through the UsB3.0 port, but unless you can install the xb OS on an external drive and boot from that, it won't affect the speed of the UI itself what so ever. Also, where has Microsoft ever said that their upscaler is hardware based and not software based? 

Anyway, if you REALLY want to generalize things and ignore the smaller things like PlayGo or Backward Compatibility, then sure, the difference between the pro and the xb1s is about 300% and a 4K disc drive.

Around the Network
wedemboyz said:

fair enough...

exclusive racing game first month retail sales in the US since 2013:
Forza Motorsport 5 ~200k (2 weeks)
Gran Turismo 6 < 180k (4 weeks)
Mario Kart 8 ~350k (1 week)
Forza Horizon 2 ~120k (1 week)
Driveclub - 42k (4 weeks)
Forza Motorsport 6 ~195k including bundles (3 weeks)
Forza Horizon 3 ~150k (1 week)

I'm surprised Forza Horizon 3 sold more copies at retail than Forza Horizon 2 during the first week. FH3 comes with the Windows version as a bonus if you purchase it digitally. It's an awesome game, but a digital purchase is a must for first-party Microsoft titles these days. Glad to see that franchise growing in strength, I only recently discovered how awesome it is. It's the true successor to PGR, and can be made either very arcadey or impressively SIM-like. It's nearly perfect IMO, and has tonnes of stuff to do.

poklane said:

PS4 = 285.300 (down 19.3% YoY)
XB1 = 332.800 (up 13.8% YoY)

https://twitter.com/AstronautClaire

So, they shifted places and numbers from last year.

cmay227 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

XB1S upscales games to 4K from a native resolution of 720 to 1080p. PS4 Pro upscales games from a native resolution of 1440 to 1800p. There is a huge difference in the native reslution from which games are upscaled. Also PS4 pro uses checkerboard rendering which looks much closer to 4K.

PS4 Pro also natively runs games such as TLOU and Skyrim at 4K.

OK, Did i say it didn't? The person i replyed to just stated hardware upscaling  to 4k. Not from 2k to 4k. also The pro will upscale from 720 to 1800p. not all games on pro are going to be native 1440 or 1800. very little in fact.

Pro runs all supported games at native 2k to 1800p and some at native 4K. No game on either PS4 and Pro runs at native 720p, they are not Xbox One.

Clearly you know very little about Pro.

wedemboyz said:

fair enough...

What about Project Cars and Need For Speed. Did they released the number of sales per plataform ?

Around the Network
X1Gates said:
Jigsawx1 said:
Great to see that Xbox wins again! this time with ~ 50 k+

Next month is going to be a massacre with gears 4 launch and battlefield marketing. Predicting that the xbox doubles the ps4 in October. 

Lol, Amazon's thread doesn't say that.  But Even if the Xbox One wins October,  you need a lot of confidence for saying that it will be  by 2 times when it  was unableto surpass it by 2 times even with the Xbox One S's lanch and 3 months worth of Pre-orders

Swordmasterman said:
wedemboyz said:

fair enough...

What about Project Cars and Need For Speed. Did they released the number of sales per plataform ?

Project Cars sold ~60k on Ps4, XB1 and Pc combined (3 weeks)
Need for Speed 2015 sold < 390k on Ps4 and XB1 combined (4 weeks)

Forza Horion 3 is basically the second best selling racing game of this gen just behind Mario Kart 8.
And these are just retail numbers. Forza Horizon 3 on PC is digital only. Plus the digital attachrate for console games is getting bigger every year

Shadow1980 said:

Chart time!

Great charts as always Shadow. Its interesting that the PS2 and Xbox has stayed above the PS4 and Xbox One for this long. Also I'm shocked that the gap grew by such small numbers between the 6th and 8th gen this month considering all the price cuts deals, and the Slims. I don't think think gen 8 will be able to close the gap with gen 6 this holiday but with the Pro coming but it should put the lead down to lower than a million unless the third year your using is 2004(Halo 2) then I doubt it but if you're using 2003 as then I could see it happening.

wedemboyz said:

fair enough...

Oh! Nice one for Mario Kart 8! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Lortsamler said:
X1Gates said:

It has a 4k drive for 299. What does the ps4 s and pro have that makes it different from the xbox one s? Nothing!!

Enjoy your 65 movies that support 4k,and most of them are old movies,and not even originally filmed in 4k,lol Discs are dying dude....dying...

This also opens up the possibility of triple-layer BD-ROM discs with much more capacity.  And UHD discs offer much greater image quality than watching House of Cards on Netflix.  That matters to some people, and I don't see what is gained by dering them.