By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PlayStation VR First Impressions

So I have had PSVR for about 8 hours now. I have played VR Luge, Ocean Descent, The London Heist, and Driveclub. I also tried Vrideo, and one other VR content app, not sure the name. Thus far, I am very impressed. Now I know you all know I am a Sony fanboy so, but this thing is amazing. It does have its flaws though. I will go over the pros and cons so far, and give a breif overview of the games I've played so far.

For starters, set up is a freaking mess. This absolutly needs to be addressed with PSVR 2 and PlayStation 4 Pro 2 or PS5, whichever comes next. The process for set up is easy enough, and Sony has painstakingly laid it it out via a massive simple manual, and numbers and symbols to match everything up. The mess it leaves though, is definitly not clean, and it is a lot of work to ask of the plug and play console consumer.

When putting the headset on, I have really had to adjust, adjust, adjust. There is a sweet spot to find the propper focus, and it seems to be a bit hard to find the perfect spot. On the plus side, once you find the perfect focus spot, the headset stays in place even if you have to extend out the screen to check on something or find your controller.

Once the headset is on and focused, it does an excellent job at blocking out light. I have daylight LEDs in the livingroom, and I have been surprised a couple of times already when I take the screen away to find someone has turned on the lights. The field of view is very impressive, and really gives the feel of being somewhere else, just as reviewers and others have said before. I can't imagine what it will be like when headsets completely fill our vision.

So far I have been quite impressed by what I have played, but there have been a couple of things that really stand out. The biggest of which is your lack of pressence in the world. For example, in Ocean Descent, you don't use the controller or move, and you are not roughly rendered in the game. So when you reach out or look down you have no arms or legs. That really pulled me out of it, in the slower paced moments, and made the cute little fish swimming by a lot less satisfying than it could have been. Another massive oversight, which I think will be patched, but is definitly an issue right now, is the text in the VR video apps. Both that I have tried so far have been nearly impossible to read. This should be an easy fix, but it is an odd oversight.

Now to the games specifically.

VR Luge

Staring with VR Luge. This was the first title I tried, and it was really nothing special. It seemed really slow, with a couple of wow moments, but it does not really show off VR in the best light. I feel like this title had potential, but the fact that I am suppossed to be going 115 MPH laying 5in off the groud, and it feels like I am peddling a bike up a hill has to much disconnet, and leaves a me unsatisfied.

Ocean Descent

This is less a game, and more a scripted event in a 3D rendering engine. It is a nice, and calm my first VR experience that has its moment, but as I said above, the lack of presence in the world really hurts the immersion. I don't see people playing this through more than 2 - 3 times. You will enjoy it, but it is not a system sell by any means.

The London Heist

Now this game justified the purchase, and fullfilled my expectations. For one, it is the best looking game I have played so far on PSVR, and it even out does most of then non VR titles I have played this gen. This game is doing VR right. The attention to detail, and the well implemented use of motion, and use of head tracking show exactly what VR can be. This is a 15 minute experience like nothing you have ever experienced before, because it can only happen in VR or RR (real reality). The interactions with charactors is amazing. In one scene your are being told about the Heist, and the NPC actually looks at you wherever you go. I stood up, leaned to the sides, got down low, and watched him lean in sit up, and bend down to keep a connection with me. After playing around, I stood up and hugged him, and said, that is what this medium is all about. 

Driveclub VR

This game is not a looker. But, it is on another level, and stands right up with TLH as far as VR goes. I have a Logitech G29, and a makeshift rig with a real car seat in it. Sitting in that seat, and hopping in a car in DCVR is a surreal experience. Then even though it looks underwhelming in the IQ department, the scale in VR is amazing. It totally changes the way you look at the tracks. These are track that I have played 1000's of times on the OG DC, and they are like a whole new experience. The ability to look into corners, check the mirrors, and feel one with the car is something that is only possible in VR. This has me extreamly excited for Gran Turismo Sport, and PS4 Pro.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

Played the first 4 levels of this before going to bed. It was another great VR experience. I used two move contollers, and had no issues with tracking. In fact, I was able to shoot in nearly a 360 degree radius with some tricky angling of the moves wands. The rollercoaster stuff felt really good, the first climb up a single track coaster, taking you up a couple hundered feet diffently gave me the thrill of riding. Beyond the shooting, they also use a lot of head tracking, be prepaired to duck, bob, and weave throgh hangd and swinging objects. If you like light gun games, Time Cyrsus, Leathal Enforcers, Jarrassic Park, etc. then this is that on steroids.

Batman: Arkham VR

Just finished the full playthrough of Arkham VR. Took about 2 and a half hours being very instigative. It was absolutly brilliant. This game is easily a must own for any PSVR users. The amount of depth and attention to detail is on spot. The graphics are just a shade behind the Lond Heist, but definitly top notch from the PSVR stuff I have played so far. This is definitly a stand up experience. A lot of turning around and taking a full 360 view to investigate each level. The one grip I have is the way they handle tracking. I know the camera can track if I put the controller if I put my arm all the way up, but for some reason when I do in the game, my taking stops at about head height. Overall, this is a very solid day one VR experience, and really shows what the future of story based content can be.

RIGS

This is a mech FPS wrapped up in an arena sport. It gives you the option to have your right stick work as normal, or use head tracking as a right stick replacement. The game works very well, but it takes a hit in the graphics department due to its scope. If you are looking for a quick moving , tight online fps experience this is the game to get. As with every game, I have not experienced motion sickness at all. 

Headmaster

Not much to say here. It has a fun story, it has a number of challenges that will keep you busy for quite some time. All in all though, it is as simple as hitting soccer balls (USA) into a net or a target.

Battlezone

The since of scale in this game is awesome, and it has the coolest menu system I have ever seen. It basically is exactly how I imagined a menu or Windows type experience in VR, screens all around displaying different information. I only spent about an hour with it before having to take off. I think if one game was going to give people motion sickness this would be it though. It moves very fast with tons of lateral movement which seems to be the biggest thing that causes uneasy feelings.

Eve

This game really works well. You can really feel the experience that the team has with VR on display. The tracking is impecable, and the gameplay is solid. VR absolutly makes dog fights. Hopefully War Thunder will get a VR update soon. 

VR Eperiences

Vrideo

Only watched a couple of rollar coaster videos so far. Videos where great, but text, as has been the common theme, is nearly unreadable.

UPDATE: So the text problem comes down to needing to re-calibrate every time you enter the app. For some reason the content is set a mile away at launch, but after calabration, it is within a reasonable distance.

Within

Much easier to navagte and read text, but still not mass market freindly. Streaming quality is not great either. I think Sony seriously needs to open up PS4 to downlaoded video content with VR and 4K HDR. Streaming just can not do 4K HDr and VR justice. I did watch the U2 video which was a cool expeirence, and definitly a standing experience to get the full 360 degree immersion.

Littlstar VR

All of these apps feel very similar, and this ine is the worst out of the three, so far in my opinion.

INVAISION!

This is one of the fully downlaodable VR expeirences. Invasion falls into the same catagory as Ocean Decent. It is a Walle Kind of silent fill using a pixar like animation setting. I found it to be quite fun. Another stand up experience for full benefit. Definitly worth a look, it is free in the Store. This makes me very interested to se what Disney and Pixar will do. Hope the wait isn't to long.

I will be back to update and answer questions later tommorow. For now I am back to gaming. I have Batman, Job Simulator, Rigs, Battlezone,Ace Bannana,Thumper,Playroom, EVE: Valkyrie, Superhypercube, Tumbler, Until Dawn:BR, and Harmonix Music left to try out, and leave impressions for.

For those that also got PSVR, please leave your impressions as well.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

too bad Driveclub VR has IQ problems, as Rushy afaik said there was no PS4 Pro patch on the way

Very cool review. Made me want the thing too =)

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Thanks for the input. Tagged.

That's an honest assessment, thanks. 

It sounds like what I expected.  The software will get better over time almost like a console launch.  

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Around the Network

cool.good post. looking forward to your thoughts on eve and rigs

tried my demo disc, and overall experience were good to me, but not great since PSVR resolution really not in high quality level, more like playing games in 480p but with good graphic effects, can't expect too much from such affordable price, and will continue use it for games that are worth playing in VR 

Good review!
Sounds awesome, can't wait to test it out by myself!

Btw how can you dare to buy Playstation VR at launch without RIGS? :o

Still 5 hours until I get my hands on one. I wonder what games they'll have in the shop, I'll download the rest anyway. Rez, Stardust, Tumble and Thumper all look very promising to me.
I guess I'll have to move the ps3 downstairs to make room for the cable mess and move the lego and other stuff off the floor, don't wanna be stepping on that while playing :)