By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - ReCore may become a success despite mixed reviews

Normchacho said:
The problem isn't reviews being "too harsh". The game isn't very good. Unless it improves VASTLY from what the demo shows, which seems unlikely since the game is just mechanically boring and the later half is supposed to be worse than the first, this is a solidly 60-65 game.

Was going to ask if you'd even played it but...

I wish I could throw out an arbitrary number as a review from a mere demo. Tell me, how did you come to posses such a skill? I haven't played the game either but I'd like to give it a number too.

Around the Network
pbroy said:
The $39 price tag was already an indicator that the game wasn't really coming along as it should have. Pricing it as a budget game is a way for asking for forgiveness. That made me think I can wait for the price to be cheaper. I will wait for $15 or free with gold. I know I will enjoy it. It's the type of niche game I like. Falls in the line of Otogi, Bullet Witch, Earth Defense Force kind of cheap crap, but still entertaining.

I have Bullet Witch and EDF and, while I enjoyed them, I have to say Recore is on an entirely different quality tier than those games. Those felt cheap. Recore feels like a top quality title with some sloppy parts. 

ironmanDX said:
Normchacho said:
The problem isn't reviews being "too harsh". The game isn't very good. Unless it improves VASTLY from what the demo shows, which seems unlikely since the game is just mechanically boring and the later half is supposed to be worse than the first, this is a solidly 60-65 game.

I wish I could throw out an arbitrary number as a review from a mere demo. Tell me, how did you come to posses such a skill? I haven't played the game either but I'd like to give it a number too.

So does the combat get way better after the first 45 minutes? And isn't the purpose of a demo to give people an idea of what a game is like?

If I take a bite of my dinner, and it tastes like shit, do I need to clean my plate before I can say I don't like it?

Don't get me wrong, people are allowed to like whatever they want and their opinion certainly doesn't need to reflect the consensus. But don't come at me for expressing my opinion on the game. Which I explicitly state is based on the demo the developer provided to convince people to buy the game.

And Phils suggestion that the people who gave the game a less than stellar review were being disingenuous is ridiculous. If it were one or two reviews, fine. But It's not. The game has more reviews that are 50 or under than it does 80 or higher. 

If Phil wanted better reviews than they should have released a better game.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Read full interview and he doesn't come off well. 

So everybody is picking on Recore? Don't make me laugh! Spencer is slimey. The twitter post was aimed at Sony so don't lie and don't defend it by saying 'Sony fans send me mean tweets too'. Official mouthpieces and random people aren't the same thing. Plus he's always having sly digs at Sony so he is lying about that too. Bloke is full of bullshit.

He's back at it again knowing there's a lot of fanboys who will spread his shit all over the forums, twitter and YouTube. 

Normchacho said:

So does the combat get way better after the first 45 minutes? And isn't the purpose of a demo to give people an idea of what a game is like?

If I take a bite of my dinner, and it tastes like shit, do I need to clean my plate before I can say I don't like it?

Don't get me wrong, people are allowed to like whatever they want and their opinion certainly doesn't need to reflect the consensus. But don't come at me for expressing my opinion on the game. Which I explicitly state is based on the demo the developer provided to convince people to buy the game.

And Phils suggestion that the people who gave the game a less than stellar review were being disingenuous is ridiculous. If it were one or two reviews, fine. But It's not. The game has more reviews that are 50 or under than it does 80 or higher. 

If Phil wanted better reviews than they should have released a better game.

I came at you for giving it a review based on a demo.  A demo, as you said, give you an idea of the game. An idea. Not the whole story. Which is a big peice of the game you miss only playing a mere demo. That was my one and only point.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
ironmanDX said:

Do you think the demo has no connection to the game its self? You seem to think that playing the demo isn't the same as playing the game - even though they are the exact same 30 minutes in both instances.

Exactly. Giving a review score based off 30 minutes is ridiculous. It isn't the same. It's a small peice of the experience. A very small piece. 

pokoko said:
That's interesting. So all games are actually better than their review score!

Or, at least, the games I like are better than their review score but the games I don't like are probably worse than their review score because of publishers purchasing good reviews.

Is this the correct mentality? Am I doing it right?

It's simple logic.

Game reviews badly: People that are interested in the genre and concept still buy it and have a good chance of liking it more than the average reviewer.
Game reviews great: People that aren't all that interested in the genre and concept take a chance and have a good chance of still not liking the subject matter.

Disagreeing >>>>> Agreeing on the internet, hence bad review scores are wrong plus great review scores are wrong as well.

SvennoJ said:

It's simple logic.

Game reviews badly: People that are interested in the genre and concept still buy it and have a good chance of liking it more than the average reviewer.
Game reviews great: People that aren't all that interested in the genre and concept take a chance and have a good chance of still not liking the subject matter.

Disagreeing >>>>> Agreeing on the internet, hence bad review scores are wrong plus great review scores are wrong as well.

Happens all the time.  The one that always amuses me is Final Fantasy, when millions of people who don't play Japanese RPGs run out and buy a Japanese RPG then complain about it being all Japanese RPGish.  Before NMS released, I said on these forums that it's a niche game that's going to be bought by a lot of people who don't even like the genre.  It's kind of interesting to watch these things develop because you can sometimes see it forming months in advance and you just know how some of the reactions are going to spike.

pokoko said:
That's interesting. So all games are actually better than their review score!

Or, at least, the games I like are better than their review score but the games I don't like are probably worse than their review score because of publishers purchasing good reviews.

Is this the correct mentality? Am I doing it right?

Just about right.

alternine said:
Sounds like something an Xbox fanboy would say. Not a CEO of a company lol

I am sure many CEO's of many companies have discussed media outlets and coverage of their product.

I mean, how often have we as consumers discussed reviews being bought, and click bait? Why is it so strange or out of character for someone who makes the product to say that?