By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo lowering the quality of its release ?

Captain Toad was a game that fans wanted, and I to wanted a full Captain Toad game after play Mario 3D World. It was understandably a small release despite its launch price.

Starfox Zero and Paper Mario Colour Splash are just Nintendo being their usual stubborn self not listening to fans and making games the way fans wanted.

Yoshi was considered good to those that played it.

Animal Crossing, Mario Tennis, Mario Party are all definitely filler games. Shameful but understandable as Nintendo desperately needed something to fill their empty release schedule.
What looks better to investors? Releasing 2 top quality games a year, or 4-6 smaller titles in the same time frame?

While I am arguing the issue I do think Nintendo need to lift their game with the NX. They need to release bigger titles at a consistent pace.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

Around the Network
Lucas-Rio said:

Especially on Wii U:

Animal Crossing Amiibo festival

Starfox Zero

Yoshi Wooly World's

Captain Toad

Now Paper Mario

It's rather embarassing.

We need more epic, ambitious games like Xenoblade, Bayonetta 2 and less average and rushed games.

obvious troll

Captain Toad is an amazing game. People were glad to have it.

Wooly World and Colour Splash weren't perfect, but they're far from rushed(even if you dislike it). Also, add in the fact that the Wii U is dead, projects as big as XCX obviously won't be on it.

Sounds like you're just whining over spilled milk tbh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Volterra_90 said:
Lol, Captain Toad and Yoshi are definitely not low-quality titles. In fact I'd say they were GOTY candidates imo. Specially Captain Toad. Brilliant level design.

Captain Toad could win awards for the puzzle category. Yoshi could've won awards for its art style

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Lucas-Rio said:
StarOcean said:
Yoshi's Wooly World isn't bad or low quality

It's not bad, it's a decent low budget game.

Is that the Nintendo quality you expect from a videogame? I want Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, Xenoblade levels of ambitions, gameplay and ambition.

Not everything needs to be big budget or huge in scale. Yes stuff like the last Mario tennis and amiibo festival are examples of Nintendo rushing games out to pad a release schedule but smaller games like Yoshi, nes remix, captain toad ect are still worthwhile additions to the Wii u library despite their smaller budgets and chances are we'll see similar games on the nx. 

Mar1217 said:
Jpcc86 said:
The answer is yes.

Oooohhh .... if only the answer was so simple. The thing is that there always be arguments for both side. Add the fact that this subject has a lot of subjectivity put into it and ... BOOM !

You have to be right, if not, it's because the other is wrong.

Well, you gotta give generalized answers to generalized questions. Overall I do think the WiiU has very few games and most of them are low quality games. Of course there are some exceptions, I think XCX is amazing, but a few exceptions don't represent the console's library. 

Around the Network

The word you were looking for is "scope, " not quality, and they've been doing this for over a decade.

I consider Starfox Zero, Yoshi Wooly World and Captain Toad all to be good games and Paper Mario might be good and have overall positive reviews.

spemanig said:
The word you were looking for is "scope, " not quality, and they've been doing this for over a decade.

I think that's way to large a time frame.  Galaxy was less than a decade ago, as was Galaxy 2, Xenoblade, XCX, Fire Emblem: Fates, and Breath of The Wild is coming soon.  So I would say that even that is not accurate and could only be reall applied to the last several months, not the last decade.  I mean, no Skyward Sword wasn't as grandiose as Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, but it waqs definitely more ambitious that 90% of Zelda games and frankly most Nintendo games in the area of story telling and presentation. 

hershel_layton said:
Volterra_90 said:
Lol, Captain Toad and Yoshi are definitely not low-quality titles. In fact I'd say they were GOTY candidates imo. Specially Captain Toad. Brilliant level design.

Captain Toad could win awards for the puzzle category. Yoshi could've won awards for its art style

Yep, basically. I think Yoshi was also a contender for best platforner. In my personal GOTYs xD.

fleischr said:
Star Fox Zero, Yoshi, Captain Toad, and Paper Mario meta just as high as any of Xbox or Sony's exclusives.

There is an overall dip in quality - but I think that's because Nintendo wants dev staff to roll off WiiU projects as quickly as possible to start NX ones.

Just as high as Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne?