By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does everyone say the VITA failed when...

The VITA...

Failed. 167 70.76%

Won. 42 17.80%

I'm unsure... 27 11.44%

Total:236

One failure can preform better than another failure.

Around the Network
ktay95 said:
One failure can preform better than another failure.

This. Has the Vita been more profitable than the WiiU? I don't recall Sony losing money on it, but it hasn't won them that much either.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

John2290 said:

It has sold more than the Wii U (15 million almost) and it seems (I'm unsure of this)that it has an attach rate for games higher than the X1 . Why is it a failure when they are selling games like crazy?

Simply because it failed to capture any market share of the handheld space that the PSP occupied, just as the WiiU is considered one for not getting most of the Wii market on board. 

Because it has sold several magnitudes worse than its predecessor, both in hardware and software. The existence of another (arguably larger) failure doesn't change that.

Because people have no idea...
The memory cards of the PS Vita alone made probably more money for Sony than the Wii U as a whole console for Nintendo.

Around the Network

Its still going strong. Dragon quest builders and world of final fantasy coming this month.

I guess it comes down to it just not selling well, when you consider how its predecessor sold. Even if it sold better than the Wii U, which was another failure, it doesn't change that it was still a failure. If you consider how much support the Vita got later, while the Wii U struggled to get any, it's surprising to see the Vita struggle to sell well.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Because if you were going to pit handheld and home console together to get a sense of success/failure you could also say PS4 is a failure for not outselling 3ds, or Playstation as a brand is a failure because PS4 and Vita haven't outsold Wii U and 3DS. I mean, what does ones numbers have anything to do with anothers, lol.

Ummmm...... Because both consoles failed?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

John2290 said:
Zekkyou said:

Because it has sold several magnitudes worse than its predecessor, both in hardware and software. The existence of another (arguably larger) failure doesn't change that.

The PSP was out for 10 years though....

Sure, and it was able to sustain good sales for so long because it was a popular system. The PSP sold as much in its peak year as the Vita has in its entire 4 - 5 year run. Even if the Vita manages to main its current pace until the 10 year mark (which is incredibly unlikely), "several magnitudes" would still be an accurate description of how far off it'd be.

Don't get me wrong, i love the Vita. It's an amazing system for those within the niche its cut out for itself, but outside of that it's not done well at all.