By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why does everyone say the VITA failed when...

The VITA...

Failed. 167 70.76%

Won. 42 17.80%

I'm unsure... 27 11.44%

Total:236

Even though the Wii U was outsold by the PS Vita it's still a failure. The main reason is because it didn't sell very well, just like the Wii U.

Around the Network

I think Wii u sold more software then vita and both are failures. I still don't agree with how Nintendo abandons the previous though. If they supported even their failures for more years like Sony does, then Wii might have had the legs of ps2 and sold better than it because of that and Ds as well. Wii u might have crossed vita and 3ds could get a shot at beating PSP. It will benefit them in the long term to do so. I think that is one of the major advantages that Xbox and PS have that Nintendo can have as well but they don't cause of a weird inbuilt policy.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Dr.Vita said:

The memory cards of the PS Vita alone made probably more money for Sony than the Wii U as a whole console for Nintendo.

I am a bit skeptical of this claim.

Maybe you like the machine but it still failed, I like my WII U but it's a failure, that's that, Sony gave up on it along time ago and as a result most likely there will be no more Sony handhelds

Dr.Vita said:
Because people have no idea...
The memory cards of the PS Vita alone made probably more money for Sony than the Wii U as a whole console for Nintendo.

lol good one

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I don't consider it a failure in total, but I the high hopes i had for the vita i feel like came close to reaching the potential it had.

I've come to accept that my vita is just a simple handheld for my ps+ plus and ps1 classics, which I'm ok with. currently enjoying Freedom wars, just got through with Muramasa.

John2290 said:

It has sold more than the Wii U (15 million almost) and it seems (I'm unsure of this)that it has an attach rate for games higher than the X1 . Why is it a failure when they are selling games like crazy?

Selling a little more than Wii U isn't a success.

Success rate is the product of sales and attach rate.  Attach rate alone doesn't make up for poor system sales.

My 8th gen collection

Everyone is missing the totally undeniable point. The all utilitarian cell phone and tablets everyone owns. Portable super computers that can be brought with us any where we choose to go. If these powerful, and to many people necessary, portable devices had never been invented the Vita would have sold 80 plus million units. The time for dedicated portable devices is over, because other far superior devices are mass market and affordable to almost everyone. The times really have changed, and not in the handheld game system's favor. Give your Vita a hug, because It's going extinct.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

twintail said:
Cloudman said:

Well, I'm not saying it's an issue. I just thought the Vita with a lot of good things going for it as opposed to the Wii U which has many issues should be doing better, though it's struggling to do so. That is what is surprising to me.

What good things does the vita have going for it that the wiiu doesn't? 

Well, the Vita has a large library of games, is a pretty powerful console for a handheld and is overall traditional with overall no gimmicks. Meanwhile, the Wii U is a strange underpowered console with a gimmick that most people outside of Nintendo fans don't want.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I don't think it has a higher attach rate than the XB1. Maybe down the road, but not now. Either way, the Wii-U itself is a fairly poor example to measure sales success by, as it itself wasn't much of a success for hardware sales. It did fine with software sales, mostly, but it overall wasn't much of a success story. PS Vita got decimated by it's direct competition and is lucky if it sells a 5th of what it's predecessor did. Let's be real, outside of Japan, the thing basically died after it's first couple years. Shame because I really loved mine when it was getting good software in the west. :(

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon