By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Direct Feed Games: NX Is 3-4x The Wii U, Nvidia Pascal Tegra GPU

Akeos said:
teigaga said:

I was under the impression Wii U was around 300Gflops

Wii U have 350 GFLOPS,  see a little more... 

If NX is 3 or 4 times more,  so that means it will be 1 TFLOPS to 1,4 TFLOPS...  Nearly xboxone,  but with rescent technologie (pascal) 

Pretty sure the general consensus was 176 GFLOPS for Wii U, a few people were pushing the 350 GF thing but it was on some dubious reasoning. 

XBox 360 is 250, but Wii U having more modern architecture and double the RAM can explain why in practise some Wii U games look a little better than the 360's best.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

Device that aiming at handheld users and home console in same time, with affordable price. That seems like mass appealing.

It's sure aiming at handheld and home console, but it doesn't sound appealing to either, let's look at the three seperate markets the device could appeal to.

Handheld Market - The rumoured 6.2 inch is far too large to appeal to a large chunk of this audience, and the removable controls if anything hinder this even further making the device seem clumsy and unrefined.

Tablet Market - Nintendo putting out the hardware that matters to the tablet crowd is HIGHLY unlikely. 720p is unacceptable in this market, Camera is important and will no doubt be horrendous on the NX. Access to Google Play or IOS Store is also a very big deal, the NX will have terrible app support in comparison to Android/IOS. Battery Life will most likely be much worse than any decent tablet as well.

Home Console Market - As a Home Console it is not only underpowered but also apparently 3 seperate entities, The NX, The Docking Station and a Compute Unit, again the device being seperate entities makes the whole thing feel clumsy and unrefined and not a desirable product for the living room.

Market NX Will Attract - Nintendo Die Hard fans, and the Niche market looking for a dedicated gaming tablet.

The rumoured NX tries to be both a device for portable gaming and home gaming. Due to this it is a mediocre handheld console, awful tablet and a fairly mediore home console.

If it can run Android apps I think it would pretty much blow any $250-$300 tablet out of the water.

Soundwave said:

If it can run Android apps I think it would pretty much blow any $250-$300 tablet out of the water.

My phone has better (non-gaming) specs than an NX and I paid $120 for it a year ago. Sure it blows tablets out of the water when it comes to games, but there are specs that matter for more than that to the tablet crowd.

Resolution, Battery Life, Camera, Build Quality.

Though if it can run Android apps it will be pirated day one, reducing software profits and probably turning off Third Parties from putting their major releases on the NX. Though the third parties probably won't need that excuse.

The Market that wants a large portable device for AAA games is NICHE.

Barkley said:
Soundwave said:

My phone has better (non-gaming) specs than an NX and I paid $120 for it a year ago. Sure it blows tablets out of the water when it comes to games, but there are specs that matter for more than that to the tablet crowd.

Resolution, Battery Life, Camera, Build Quality.

Though if it can run Android apps it will be pirated day one, reducing software profits and probably turning off Third Parties from putting their major releases on the NX. Though the third parties probably won't need that excuse.

Your phone doesn't have a better spec than a Pascal-based Nvidia Tegra. That chip would melt the inside of your phone in an hour running at full tilt. For a mobile chip it doesn't get much better than Tegra X1, especially if they are using a new Pascal version of it. 

Nintendo can use their own custom OS and make piracy a lot tougher, but have Android app ability, or even just have a setup where by Android apps can basically be "converted" to use on the NX with a short verification process. That would allow Nintendo to have hundreds of apps very quickly. There are many ways to do it. 

We don't really know what the market for a device like this is in part because there's never been a device like this. That said we know for sure tablets outsell gaming handhelds by a large margin, and we know Nintendo portables outsell their consoles by a large margin. 

zippy said:
The usual "lets make shit up about NX" again. Nintendo really need to get their act together and give us a proper unveiling, I'm seeing a lot of die hard Nintendo fans getting fed up and buying PS4's..seriously.

If Nintendo's strategy was based on drawing people away from the PS4 they'd fail just as the Gamecube and Xbox failed to draw people away from the PS2.

The NX arriving now (instead of 2019) means it has to differentiate from the competition, not try and replace it. If the PS4 looks a compelling purchase at the moment I'm willing to bet th reveal of the NX won't change that. Fundamentally I expect them to deliver different experiences.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
zippy said:
The usual "lets make shit up about NX" again. Nintendo really need to get their act together and give us a proper unveiling, I'm seeing a lot of die hard Nintendo fans getting fed up and buying PS4's..seriously.

If Nintendo's strategy was based on drawing people away from the PS4 they'd fail just as the Gamecube and Xbox failed to draw people away from the PS2.

The NX arriving now (instead of 2019) means it has to differentiate from the competition, not try and replace it. If the PS4 looks a compelling purchase at the moment I'm willing to bet th reveal of the NX won't change that. Fundamentally I expect them to deliver different experiences.

Yeah I agree, they missed the bus this generation if the point was to compete with the PS4. Way too late for that now, they kinda have no choice but to do some wacky/crazy thing now. 

Soundwave said:

Your phone doesn't have a better spec than a Pascal-based Nvidia Tegra. That chip would melt the inside of the your phone in an hour running at full tilt. 

Nintendo can use their own custom OS and make piracy a lot tougher, but have Android app ability, or even just have a setup where by Android apps can basically be "converted" to use on the NX with a short verification process. That would allow Nintendo to have hundreds of apps very quickly. There are many ways to do it. 

Notice how I said non-gaming. I'm referring to things like Resolution, Battery Life, Camera and interfacing with other devices, things the Tablet Crowd actually care about.

The NX will be 720p, my Phone is 1080p.

The NX battery life will probably be naff.

The NX camera will almost certainly be naff, compared to my phones 13mp.

As for the Android route, the WiiU is completely hacked open, you need nothing but an SD card and an internet connection and any idiot can play homebrew and pirated games on the machine. That's Nintendo's OWN OS. Now android is potentially the most modifiable, hackable and easily piratable OS on the planet, If Nintendo can't develop a Secure OS themselves then making a version of Android that is secure is absolutely impossible for them.

bunchanumbers said:
Miyamotoo said:

Power was matters back then, and people still bought Wii instead PS3/Xbox360 because is way more mass appealing. And what about DS and 3DS, DS was less powerful than PSP and 3DS is way less powerful than Vita and again destroying Vita and actually carries solid with smartphones.

Power is somewhat important only if basically you have same product like competition, like PS3/Xbox360 or PS4/XB1, they are identical products and that's why every difference is important for them, but if you have different product with different experience power isn't really so much matter, actualy power matters only to hard core gamers, and it seems that NX will again be difrent with with different experience and again aiming for mass market like Wii.

Hybrid console that is basically handheld and home console in one should have price point of $99-149!? Now you acting silly, just 3DS is curently around $150 and it still sells (if I am correct 3DS was best selling console in US in Avgust).

Come on. You know Wii sold because of the Blue Ocean strategy. It also sold because of its low price point and gimmick. Its what also crippled its future sales and its potential later in its life. Wii was a wasteland for its last 2 years. Wii U was a wasteland for its last 3 years.

Nintendo is gambling on a user base that doesn't game to buy their system. This means if their gimmick fails, we're looking at not only a weak console, we're looking at a weak console with another failed gimmick that will drive away core gamers even more than Wii U did. Instead of doing that, they should be focusing on gamers that they know buy games. Or at the very least, making their console strong enough that core gamers don't feel like they are getting ripped off by a Gen 9 console that is weaker than consoles that launched several years ago.

And the Hybrid is even worse than doing a console/handheld. You're putting all your eggs into one big potential basket of failure. At the very least if DS failed, they still had the GBA to fall back on. If GCN failed they still had GBA to fall back on. If Wii failed, they still had DS to fall back on. Proof of this way of surviving is shown this gen. Wii U was a failure, but they still had the 3DS to fall back on. What happens of NX fails? Game over.

The way it looks now, they got hardware that is several times weaker than current gen consoles. Not to mention even further behind than the hardware refreshes. This thing will most likely be more than 10 times weaker than Scorpio when it comes out 6 months after NX launches.

And what about the rumors of a 720p screen? Seriously? We're talking about 4K and HDR these days, and Nintendo is begrudgingly upgrading to a 720p screen.

Thats point, NX is again Blue strategie, again will have affordable price and gimmick. Last 2 years of wasteland but despite that Wii sold more than 100m, thats huge succes. Wii U was totally different than Wii and it seems want do well basically from start.

So what if NX failes, they have tons of money they will just try again. Saying that, nothing tells it will fail, they aiming mass appealing with affordable price, and they merged they software units.

Again, who cares about how much less powerful is than Xbox Scorpio if have great and beautiful games that can't be played anywhere else, if its handheld and home console in one, if have affordable price!?

720p for handheld screen not for TV and you really don't need more 720p for handheld, VIta has 540p and majority of Vita games ever run at lower resolution and games still look great. It asumed that will be 720p for handheld mode and 1080p in docked mode when you play on TV.

Miyamotoo said:

So what if NX failes, they have tons of money they will just try again.

Because the longer they fail the further their reputation plummets, one more failure and they'll be a laughing stock in the home console market, if not as a platofrm holder in general. If the NX really fails (less than 25 million LTD) then they will not try again if they have any sense.

Barkley said:
Soundwave said:

Your phone doesn't have a better spec than a Pascal-based Nvidia Tegra. That chip would melt the inside of the your phone in an hour running at full tilt. 

Notice how I said non-gaming. I'm referring to things like Resolution, Battery Life, Camera and interfacing with other devices, things the Tablet Crowd actually care about.

The NX will be 720p, my Phone is 1080p.

The NX battery life will probably be naff.

The NX camera will almost certainly be naff, compared to my phones 13mp.

As for the Android route, the WiiU is completely hacked open, you need nothing but an SD card and an internet connection and any idiot can play homebrew and pirated games on the machine. That's Nintendo's OWN OS. Now android is potentially the most modifiable, hackable and easily piratable OS on the planet, If Nintendo can't develop a Secure OS themselves then making a version of Android that is secure is absolutely impossible for them.

The NX is almost certainly going to have a larger battery than your phone. Because it has to have one to run that Tegra X1 chip, that means for whatever non-gaming tasks it does, the battery life for *that* should actually be pretty good. 

720p I think is a smarter resolution choice for that screen size. Higher would just needlessly drain the battery and at 6-inches, the PPI is quite good, nearly as good as a $500+ iPad. 

Most people don't take pictures with their tablet, so I don't think that's a big issue with the NX (the camera). 

Well if your point is that even a custom OS can get hacked ... then I guess my answer is ... so? Doesn't that just show people will hack anything (custom, open, whatever), so if that's the case, then Nintendo should just choose Android, at least they get a benefit from that in app revenue and access to a wide spectrum of functionality from day 1 without having to spend a dime. There is piracy on all popular platforms, the point is to limit it so that the average, regular player doesn't use it, but if some hardcore geek on the internet wants to exploit some low level hack, you're never going to prevent that type of person from doing that type of stuff.