By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The Pro Wrasslin' Thread (WWE, WWF, WCW, TNA, ROH, NWA, NJPW, etc)

Tagged games:

What match are you excited for at WWE Payback 2017?

Neville vs. Austin Aries ... 1 5.88%

Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyat... 3 17.65%

The Hardy Boyz vs. Cesaro... 3 17.65%

Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jer... 4 23.53%

Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Title) 3 17.65%

Seth Rollins vs. Samoa Joe 1 5.88%

Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman 2 11.76%

Total:17
PAOerfulone said:

The current storyline with Wardlow is giving me a lot of flashbacks to Batista in 2004-2005.

There's a lot of similarities:
- Both are big, buff, badass dudes who go in there, wreck everyone's shit, and the crowd cheers for them despite being Heels.
- Both are part of old school styled Heel stables with an arrogant, self-righteous prick as the leader (MJF/HHH).
- Both are giving subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, jabs at the leader, causing more tension and teasing that eventual Face turn.

It's a classic storyline. Shawn Michaels and Diesel, Andre and Ted Dibiase. That's not knocking it. The classics are classics for a reason.

PAOerfulone said:

Tony Khan's big announcement tonight:

He just bought Ring of Honor...

I figured that they would at least buy the tape library.
If that rumored HBO Max deal is true, owning the library was REALLY going to be a huge lift since damn near every one on the roster, especially the top level guys like Punk, Bryan, Hangman, and Adam Cole all got their starts and made their names in Ring of Honor.
But the entire company?!? God Damn!!!

ROH was struggling and circling the drain. Even though ROH has name value, the wrestling business isn't generally an attractive one. Generally the people who get into it are people who either have a personal connection to wrestling (Vince) or are children of billionares who want a business where they can be visible for their ego (Dixie Kahn). I think the big thing in this is the tape library. They definitely don't need more talent. What they need is some kind of streaming service to bring people in, because a 50 dollar ppv model is simply not viable in a world of Netflix, where so much content is available so much cheaper. But AEW really doesn't have a back catalog to entice people, so that's where this comes in. 

I was home for the first half of dynamite, and caught the second half. I wondered for a second if I was watching a repeat as there was another battle royal for a spot in the tag team title match. Danielson vs Daniels was good, because they're very good wrestlers, but Christopher Daniels should not be booked to look on par with Danielson. Danielson is a star, Daniels is not. Danielson has great cardio. When wrestlers do after match promos they're usually breathing hard and talking slow.

It is still a bad time to have a vagina in AEW. Again, one women's segment, although at least more girls were involved. 

Dynamite is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. There's little consistency between who's involved in the show from week to week. Like, if you saw Buddy Murphy debut last week and expected some kind of follow up from that and Malakai Black trying to murder a man... nope. Jericho and Kingston got a small promo but not much. I guess if you like variety that's maybe a good thing, but the idea is kind of you want people to tune in next week to see the followup from what happened. Two weeks is a long time between seeing people or a feud. You can't build em that way.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 02 March 2022

Around the Network

So, apparently all the Texas bashing from KO is going to pay off with... A wrestlemania edition of the KO show. :-/ Rather lame. I get plans change and they couldn't get a match done, and tbh I probably wouldn't want to see a 55+ Austin fight KO anyway, but they should have just scrapped the whole thing at this point.

BasilZero said:
JWeinCom said:

So, apparently all the Texas bashing from KO is going to pay off with... A wrestlemania edition of the KO show. :-/ Rather lame. I get plans change and they couldn't get a match done, and tbh I probably wouldn't want to see a 55+ Austin fight KO anyway, but they should have just scrapped the whole thing at this point.

Hopefully it leads to a match later on the same night or the next night if its day 1 (Sat) with KO fighting someone who fights for Stone cold's place.

If Stone Cold was going to have a match, you could bet your fucking balls they would be advertising it as a match. Unless they do that, it's not happening. Maybe they'll build one for some time in the future.

As for Austin using a proxy, I dunno about that. It kind of doesn't fit his character. Like, Vince having Austin Theory fight for him makes sense, cause that's a Vince thing to do. Stone Cold was always the lone wolf renegade type, so I don't think that works for him. IMHO.

Even with Mania being two nights, I could really do without them relying so heavily on celebrities and legends. 

R.I.P Scott Hall.

Bad Times Don't Last,
But Bad Guys Do!

It's dreadful. He really put in the time to better himself and get away from negative things in his life too. I'd hate to think how much sooner it would have happened without that but was really hoping he'd go on to live a longer life. Quite shocking and much too young.

RIP Razor.

Around the Network

Quite looking forward to mania this year. Never thought I'd be looking forward to Reigns and Lesnar main eventing again, but here we are. Bianca and Becky should be good. Seth vs Cody will be interesting. At this point that has to be the match, or they have to surprise us with something better. Even looking forward to Macafee and Theory.

There's quite a bit of fluff on the card, but hopefully those matches will exceed expectations. I get that they want to get as many people as possible on Mania, but I think they would be better off just going back to Money in the Bank on Mania.

Interestingly, there are not a whole lot of gimmick matches on the card. Which is too back because they help change the pace and add variety. We'll see if that decision works out, but it puts a lot more pressure on wrestlers when they can't grab a weapon.

Cody? Has he finally popped up?

ironmanDX said:

Cody? Has he finally popped up?

No, but it kind of seems inevitable at this point. He's getting chants at WWE events, and they haven't really done anything to indicate he's not going to be there.

Of course, they could just be letting people believe what they want to be in hopes they'll buy it, but that would lead to two problems. First, unless they have some bigger mystery person to show up, the fans would be hugely deflated. Second, if they let people think he's coming to WWE and he doesn't, that's going to generate even more interest for him if he winds up back in AEW. So, WWE would essentially be giving Cody and AEW free publicity, which I don't think they would do.

At this point I'd be highly surprised if they don't have that happen. But, WWE has given me some pretty bad surprises in the past, so it's not impossible that someone else winds up facing Seth at Mania. If I was them, I'd have Shane come out as a swerve and then have him introduce Cody. Shane managing Cody could generate nuclear heat, especially if they get Brandi in there. 

Knowing WWE??

Goldberg Vs Seth confirmed.

Nah. If it was Goldberg they would have started advertising it months ago, made it a title match, and fed a promising young superstar to Goldberg to build it.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 30 March 2022