By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Crowd is completely blown away by the 4K HDR graphics of the PS4 Pro

Rab said:
Ruler said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7PHjY-a_6w

I'm completely blown away by the price of the TV I'll need for this

you can get many for 400-500 bucks now like from hisense

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Trunkin said:

The most expensive 4K displays at this Bestbuy each had their own unique demo reel, while the cheaper 4K sets had ads for Netflix, Hulu, etc. 1080p sets were playing seemingly random footage. One was what looked like a DVD of TDKR, and some of the others had TV ads running, so it could have been cable. Walmarts in my area tend to have the same footage showing on all their TVs usually with one special exception, so you may have hit the nail on the head, there.

I didn't realise cable was still capped at 1080i. 7-8mbits? Wtf? Does that include channels like HBO and Starz? Bummer, if so. I guess this explains why the Walking Dead looks and sounds so much better on Netflix than it does on TV.

Afaik hdtv broadcasts are still in 720p or 1080i. My cable box doesn't have a 1080p option, 1080i is the highest. At the start (2006) we got the full 15mbps channels, yet after they started adding more HD channels they reduced the bandwith to half to squeeze more in. It's something like this: Channels are received at 21mbps, it used to be 1 HD channel packed with 1 SD channel, now 3 HD channels are packed together and SD channels have been compressed even further. There's only a maximum amount of total bandwidth, more channels = lower quality.
If you know how big the HDD is in your pvr it's not that difficult to caclulate the average bandwidth. The more fits on, the lower the bandwidth gets.

And yeah HD cable looks like a joke during fast action scenes. Analog tv looked better during fast action. However analog has been axed completely to make room for more 'HD' channels. (You need a digital adapter now for horrible quality SD channels)

Damn, I had no idea. I would have thought they'd have increased the total bandwidth by now, or is that some kind of inherent limitation of the technology? Makes me wonder what on earth they're plannign to do when 4K gets more mainstream. Just give up?

Actually, doesn't this mean that services like PSVue and Sling could theoretically provide higher quality than standard cable right now?

I feel like Sony supporters gush over everything the company does though.

Trunkin said:
SvennoJ said:

Afaik hdtv broadcasts are still in 720p or 1080i. My cable box doesn't have a 1080p option, 1080i is the highest. At the start (2006) we got the full 15mbps channels, yet after they started adding more HD channels they reduced the bandwith to half to squeeze more in. It's something like this: Channels are received at 21mbps, it used to be 1 HD channel packed with 1 SD channel, now 3 HD channels are packed together and SD channels have been compressed even further. There's only a maximum amount of total bandwidth, more channels = lower quality.
If you know how big the HDD is in your pvr it's not that difficult to caclulate the average bandwidth. The more fits on, the lower the bandwidth gets.

And yeah HD cable looks like a joke during fast action scenes. Analog tv looked better during fast action. However analog has been axed completely to make room for more 'HD' channels. (You need a digital adapter now for horrible quality SD channels)

Damn, I had no idea. I would have thought they'd have increased the total bandwidth by now, or is that some kind of inherent limitation of the technology? Makes me wonder what on earth they're plannign to do when 4K gets more mainstream. Just give up?

Actually, doesn't this mean that services like PSVue and Sling could theoretically provide higher quality than standard cable right now?

We are limited by a finite amount of usable spectrum/frequency to transmit data over the air.

We have various technologies in place to try and eek more out of it... But, if you wan't more bandwidth so we can have better TV, then you need to get around the laws of Physics.

You can either use better compression methods...

Or throw more towers that transmit TV signals around... As signals tend to attenuate over long distances, which limits the amount of usable spectrum.

Same goes for Cable, there is only so much usable spectrum on the cable before the signal attenuates and becomes unusable.
You can get around that by placing repeaters/nodes at various points and better modulation, but that will only take you so far.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Ck1x said:

How cant you? Sony stands for quality unlike with other companies

Around the Network
Ruler said:
Rab said:

Ruler said:
Ck1x said:

Well I remember buying great CD players from Sony but even then they were way overpriced products. I'm so glad that companies like Samsung have come along and made electronics more affordable. It's to where I don't even miss buying their products in those segments because there's someone that makes them better at a better price.

Playstation is the one thing that they seem to be pretty consistent with, but gamers aren't talking about how amazing the games are. They're discussing specs and graphics alone as the reasons for owning PS4 or PS4 Pro and for many of us gamers that's simply not enough...

User was warned for this and another post ~ CGI

Trunkin said:
SvennoJ said:

There's a limit to what you can push through a coax cable, it's always transmitting everything at the same time, hence a direct internet connection can provide better results. That only travels a short while over your cable, you don't receive everyone's internet at home :)

For 4K they mandate a new digital box, which means they can use h.265, 4x more efficient than mpeg2. I don't know how they will deal with 4K and HD next to eachother when 4K becomes popular. For now it's just a few channels with a few sports broadcasts in 4K. Perhaps they'll finally upgrade all the 10 year old boxes that can only do mpeg2.

Fiber to the home would be best ofcourse, get rid of that old coax cable. Eventually.

Ruler said:
Ck1x said:

I used to agree with the fact that they had great quality, until my latest purchase from them. About a year ago I bought a Sony 4K Android TV and it was one of the biggest regrets of my life. It was either a software issue, so Android, or a hardware problem, so Sony. It seemed to have poor hardware, and at around £700 you'd expect the processor and RAM to be able to cope with lightweight apps and simple TV functions. I ended up returning it as it was unuseable.

Ruler said:
Rab said:

But would that be a smart move?  Hisense =/= quality.

Ck1x said:
Ruler said:

Ruler said:

Well I remember buying great CD players from Sony but even then they were way overpriced products. I'm so glad that companies like Samsung have come along and made electronics more affordable. It's to where I don't even miss buying their products in those segments because there's someone that makes them better at a better price.

Playstation is the one thing that they seem to be pretty consistent with, but gamers aren't talking about how amazing the games are. They're discussing specs and graphics alone as the reasons for owning PS4 or PS4 Pro and for many of us gamers that's simply not enough...

PlayStation fans talk about the amazing games on PS4 and discuss more about games than hardware but of course you never see that.

When a new console is coming out people do care about the hardware else why would they buy a new console. Better hardware can give better experience even in the same games that can be played on relatively weak hardware.