By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spencer suggests Scorpio will cost not more than $600 USD

Because historically they had to and MS this gen was in the same hole up until now?

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
exclusive_console said:

Why not ? RX480 is not a chipset. I have not seen a gpu for years lol but I am sure it is big enough and needs equivalent cpu to feed it so that it is not bottlenecked and obviously a decent power supply as well. Microsoft is clearly going for a big upgrade to push 4K resolution if possible. So that will come at a cost. Although I agree 600$ for a console is expensive unless the new console will play all the Xbone games at high resolution. Because in PS4P dev has to support the Pro mode, the console itself cannot do it. I am sticking with 500$ where dev has to support it just like PS4P

I'm saying whatever GPU they stick in the Scorpio will likely be at par with RX 480. Just like X1 is at par with the 7770.

4K with current X1 graphics should be relatively easy with the big GPU upgrade. The CPU shouldnt be an issue for achieving 4K but it will get a boost. The thing is its gonna be 4K with essentally current console graphics, not max PC settings. But Scorpio may have improved textures thanks to RAM boost.

4K is lot of pixel. PS4P is aiming for 2K and from the leaks we know it has 36CU along with clock speed boost to gpu,cpu and ram to some 25-30% more. I am not sure it is going to do native 4K, may be some games will. I do not think it is fair to compare it with RX 480 because even if you build a PC for 4K or even 2K gaming. Putting all the components together I doubt it is going to be around 500 or 400$.

Nice to know that Spencer isn't an idiot.

exclusive_console said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm saying whatever GPU they stick in the Scorpio will likely be at par with RX 480. Just like X1 is at par with the 7770.

4K with current X1 graphics should be relatively easy with the big GPU upgrade. The CPU shouldnt be an issue for achieving 4K but it will get a boost. The thing is its gonna be 4K with essentally current console graphics, not max PC settings. But Scorpio may have improved textures thanks to RAM boost.

4K is lot of pixel. PS4P is aiming for 2K and from the leaks we know it has 36CU along with clock speed boost to gpu,cpu and ram to some 25-30% more. I am not sure it is going to do native 4K, may be some games will. I do not think it is fair to compare it with RX 480 because even if you build a PC for 4K or even 2K gaming. Putting all the components together I doubt it is going to be around 500 or 400$.

Scorpio's GPU will be custom.  It could sit between Polaris and Vega. Not knowing  the core/rop count its just too hard to tell what it will be comprable to.

It could be a downclocked Vega GPU (capable of more TFLOPS in dicrete desktop terms) that as a result of the thermal package needed/clock speed delivers ~6TFLOPS, but it could still manage to pack  the CU's, ROPS, texture units of that GPU.  In the end those will matter more in making games than the theoretical number.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

VAMatt said:
eva01beserk said:

I wish people would stop this. The reasosn the x1 was not well received at that price was because the ps4 was chaper and more powerfull. This time the more powerfull console will be acordingly more expensive. Not the same thing

The fact remains that no consoles have ever done well when priced over $399.  

I've owned almost every major console since the Atari 2600.  And, I've been an Xbox-first gamer since the original.  But, even I wasn't willing to pick one up unti it went down to $399, and even then I waited for a sale.  I'm just one guy, but we have a several examples of consoles falling short of expectations when priced over $399.

If your looking at things in a buble then yea. But not how the world works. Both times in the last 20 years that has hapened, its because there was less performance for higher price. wont be the same issue.

then I can say as fact as well, never does a console sell more when priced higher that a more powerfull competitor. Witch fact holds more ground? Both true.

edit: Im actually wrong here, gamecube was stronger nd cheaper than ps2.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
exclusive_console said:
Mr Puggsly said:

PS4 already do 2k (that 1920x1080p is basically 2k)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I think the Xbox brand can't handle a price tag of $499 or above. So regardless of what losses they may need to take I think between $449 and $399 is the most probable price range. I don't think they can say anything much on price right now because they are over a year away from launch, so they probably haven't even tied down the prices of all the components yet. But they probably have an "off the shelf" build price of a lot less than $600 so they can confidently assert that there is no way Scorpio will be up there.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Zappykins said:
Landguy said:

THe 1tb XB1s comes with a $59.99 game included, and the game isn't always a MS title.

I literally just bought an XB1s 1tb Madden Bundle yesterday for $349.00.  Bestbuy also is giving a free $59.99 game with that, so I got FOrza Horizon 3.   BestBuy matched Walmart that also has a free 2nd controller too.  

The real price I just paid was $349.99 - $59.99(Game)=$290.00   - $39.99(controller)=$250   - $59.99 (madden) = $190!

I already had a launch XB1, but i had been waiting to get a PS4pro for a game system and 4k Bluray player.  When the specs came out that the PS4pro didn't have the 4k bluray, it was an easy choice.  I looked and all of the 4k bluray players are $319+.

You are quite the good deal maker.  I salute you!

How do you like the S compaired to your original model?

Anyhoo, on topic.  I'm expecting the premium Xbox Scoripo bundle to be around $499.  But they might have a less expensive model for $349ish.

Yes, I appreciate the 1s.  I wanted a 4k bluray player and it does that great.  i also got Forza3, and HDR is pretty cool.  I didn't compare it to my old XB1, but the 4k 75 Samsung HDR tv with the 1s looks awesome.

I agree they will have a Base model at 349-449. 

It is near the end of the end....

599 is not that far from 600

JRPGfan said:
kennyschraub said:
The Xbox One Project Scorpio will start at $399 for the entry model.
More powerful for the same price is just as good for marketing as having 4k blu-ray, while the competiton does not.
They won't drop that advantave.

However, the real price will be $499 for the general model. The one with a decent Harddrive size and a Game Bundled. Just like the Xbox360 startet at $399, but the most people wen't for the more expensive model in the early release days...

They will if they have to sell them at 100$ loss on each unit.

I honestly dont see how they can sell it at under 499$ without takeing losses.

399$ is a dream price that is very unlikely to happend.

449$ for 500Gb model.

499$ for 1tb model.

^ this is a much more realistic price scenario, and probably what it ll end up being.

A possible and sensible pricing scheme, except for a thing: by the time Scorpio launches, most probably 1TB will have already become the entry level, while premium models will have even larger HDDs. So 1TB for the entry level Scorpio and 2 or 4TB for the premium one are more likely, not just for the normal tech advancements, but also because larger drives also for the entry level fit nicely in MS strategy of selling more and more DD contents.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!