By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Spencer suggests Scorpio will cost not more than $600 USD

DonFerrari said:
eva01beserk said:

Seeing as how poorly MS has been with softwre since the mid 360 life, I would say for them is easyer to make new hardware.

I may not now much about software, but I think they can make it with gens, I mean the pc has been doing it for ever and theese consoles and the new will basicly be pc's. there might come a limit when a certain device wont handle but it wont be until ps4p i think.  but who knows, i certanly dont.

I do agree with you.

What I'm saying is that unless they backtrack on their promise of ALL games being launched for Scorpio must work on X1S they won't really have a generation leap perceived and will hardly take advantage of undercuting sony on launching a new gen. But of course they can try and see if they get out without burning themselves with cutting support for X1S one or two years after scorpio comes out and them have a new gen

I get ya now and agree.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
VAMatt said:

Yes.  We've seen multiple attempts to sell consoles for more than $399.  The XBox One is the best selling example, and it was not very well received at that price point.  I guess I could see $499 as reasonable, if it includes a large hdd and an elite controller, or maybe a decent sized hybrid drive.  But, I just can't imagine MS making the same mistake with pricing above $399 again.  

I wish people would stop this. The reasosn the x1 was not well received at that price was because the ps4 was chaper and more powerfull. This time the more powerfull console will be acordingly more expensive. Not the same thing

Well to be fair the PS3 was more powerful than the 360 and it was not received well at the price it was. And for the XB1 scorpio to be received well it would have to at most be priced the same as the PS4pro if it is $100 more expensive and already behind the PS4 then it will fail imo. But we will see how things play out.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

TheBlackNaruto said:
eva01beserk said:

I wish people would stop this. The reasosn the x1 was not well received at that price was because the ps4 was chaper and more powerfull. This time the more powerfull console will be acordingly more expensive. Not the same thing

Well to be fair the PS3 was more powerful than the 360 and it was not received well at the price it was. And for the XB1 scorpio to be received well it would have to at most be priced the same as the PS4pro if it is $100 more expensive and already behind the PS4 then it will fail imo. But we will see how things play out.

As I already said with the x1 vs ps4, the same applys with the 360 vs ps3, the ps3 while more powerfull, the 360 was performing better than it and was cheaper. it wasent untill half the gen that ps3 multyplats where catching up and exclusives where rolling out witch definetly performd better and there where more numerous than the competition. then the ps3 really started outselling the 360.

This time, the more expensive console, will definetly perform better. Well if they do things right.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

As I already said with the x1 vs ps4, the same applys with the 360 vs ps3, the ps3 while more powerfull, the 360 was performing better than it and was cheaper. it wasent untill half the gen that ps3 multyplats where catching up and exclusives where rolling out witch definetly performd better and there where more numerous than the competition. then the ps3 really started outselling the 360.

This time, the more expensive console, will definetly perform better. Well if they do things right.

But the question is will it perform better to the extent that it warrants being $100 more expensive if it is. That will be the determining factor in my eyes. If it performs much noticably better and is about the same price as the PS4pro then I think it will have good sales. We will see what happens but I can't see the XB1 scorpio being any more than $449...not if they want it to survive this gen. And even $449 would be pushing it imo. $399 is the mark they NEED to hit.

TheBlackNaruto said:
eva01beserk said:

But the question is will it perform better to the extent that it warrants being $100 more expensive if it is. That will be the determining factor in my eyes. If it performs much noticably better and is about the same price as the PS4pro then I think it will have good sales. We will see what happens but I can't see the XB1 scorpio being any more than $449...not if they want it to survive this gen. And even $449 would be pushing it imo. $399 is the mark they NEED to hit.

I get what you mean,,but if they release at the same price as pro and its only a slight improobement like wii u to ps360, while the ps4 is the market leader and the pro has a year head start and all the exclusive anouced for 2017 and even this year, then the scorpio is going to be worst off than the x1 was against the ps4.

I dont think they can add a significan upgrade while maintaining that price, So I think they should go full premium.

All we can do is wait,its all in MS hands. 

Around the Network
eva01beserk said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

I get what you mean,,but if they release at the same price as pro and its only a slight improobement like wii u to ps360, while the ps4 is the market leader and the pro has a year head start and all the exclusive anouced for 2017 and even this year, then the scorpio is going to be worst off than the x1 was against the ps4.

I dont think they can add a significan upgrade while maintaining that price, So I think they should go full premium.

All we can do is wait,its all in MS hands. 

True they have to go in all in or nothing....it is definitely their move

eva01beserk said:
VAMatt said:

Yes.  We've seen multiple attempts to sell consoles for more than $399.  The XBox One is the best selling example, and it was not very well received at that price point.  I guess I could see $499 as reasonable, if it includes a large hdd and an elite controller, or maybe a decent sized hybrid drive.  But, I just can't imagine MS making the same mistake with pricing above $399 again.  

The fact remains that no consoles have ever done well when priced over $399.  

I've owned almost every major console since the Atari 2600.  And, I've been an Xbox-first gamer since the original.  But, even I wasn't willing to pick one up unti it went down to $399, and even then I waited for a sale.  I'm just one guy, but we have a several examples of consoles falling short of expectations when priced over $399.

DirtyP2002 said:
I want that $999 bundle with the Rift.
Fuck those haters.

This seems perfectly reasonable.  Frankly, if rift is $599 now, it should be down to $499 by next fall.  So, if Scorpio can run it, then they people damn sure better be able to get both items for under a grand. I mean, PSVR and PSPro are available this year for $798.  Scorpio and Rift will be more advanced, but they'll also have a year for the tech to get cheaper.  

Pemalite said:
shikamaru317 said:

I agree that Intel-Nvidia would offer better performance, but I knew it would never happen for Scorpio, because Scorpio has to be backwards compatible with XB1 and future games have to be able to run on both XB1 and Scorpio. That would be too tricky if they switched to Intel-Nvidia. Luckily there is a major benefit to using AMD tech, they're desperate for design wins and therefore likely gave MS a good price on the Scorpio chipset. Regardless of what some people in this thread think, $400 is a possibility and $500 or less is pretty much guaranteed. MS would never have betwen able to hit that price with a comparable custom Intel-Nvidia chipset, at least not without selling at a pretty big loss. 

Intel+nVidia may offer less performance.

Remember these devices are designed to hit a certain price point... If you were targeting your hardware to hit say $400 you have to go with some extremely compromised Intel and nVidia hardware to hit that.
AMD is cheaper, which means more performance for your dollar... It is only untill you hit the upper levels of the market that Intel and nVidia are leagues ahead of AMD. But console hardware is also not high-end.

Plus, going Intel and nVidia means that Microsoft cannot have a single chip solution, which drives those costs up even higher.

DialgaMarine said:

Yeah, but given how heavily MS is pushing the 4K Blu-Ray thing, I dont see them leaving that out of Scorpio, and that's definitely gonna add some costs. $600 sounds the most likely.

Yeah. Microsoft won over a ton of gamers with 4k Blu Ray support, they aren't about to give that up with Scorpio.

With that said, it also might not add anything to the costs, plenty of regular Blu Ray drives on the PC only require a firmware update to enable 4k Blu Ray support.

konkari said:

Cost is one thing and price is another. M$ may need to price very close to PS4Pro to be able to capture volumes. 

Speculating upon the rumours of Destiny 2 going for PC, and needing such a heavy overhaul of the game engine that even previous characters are not carried over, the reasons may be related to Scorpio. It may be that MS makes the scorpio to be a PC, and go with NVidia graphics instead of AMD. This would make XBox operating system to be simply a WIN 10 with a skin. These two factors would make porting of Destiny 1 more difficult, hence Bungie would conclude that for same effort they do the WIN 10 at the same time.

This is of course pure speculation, but clearly something is cooking in the background.

nVidia isn't going to happen.

The Xbox is already running a modified Windows OS. As well as the Xbox OS and the Xbox 360 OS in some cases.

Mr Puggsly said:

MS went with Intel and Nvidia for the original Xbox and they lost a lot of money.

The hardware they use now gets great results at a lower price.

This. They get more performance for the price they are targeting.
Everything is also consolidated into a single chip which helps keep costs low.

Well, I did mention this was if they wanted solely performance. I do know Nvidia charges more for everything... I prefer Intel though... Perhaps when Intel creates gaming bridges... 

Azuren said:

Pretty sure most of the rational people here can agree on two things:

1. It will be stronger than PS4Pro
2. It will be more expensive than PS4Pro

Nobody knows whether number two will happen... 

AsGryffynn said:
Azuren said:

Pretty sure most of the rational people here can agree on two things:

1. It will be stronger than PS4Pro
2. It will be more expensive than PS4Pro

Nobody knows whether number two will happen... 

Sony won't allow it. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames