By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - What Are You Listening to Right Now?

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Around the Network

Great mix, wasn't expecting the theme music from Mario to turn up at the 47 minute mark lol.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 14 December 2023

The unsung war ace combat song!

BiON!@ 

One of my favorite bands ever (probably overall top 5) Sonata Arctica is coming out with a new album - apparently going to be closer to their power metal roots than anything in the last decade so I'm pumped. They went on this highly progressive and acoustic tangent that just wasn't for me. I liked a tinge of the progressive and softer, more dynamic stuff with the power metal but not full-on pop/acoustic/progressive rock like they've become. The fast melodic power metal is what drew me to them and without it they've felt hollow of late. 

Band has helped me get through some dark, lonely times which is pretty much what the doctor ordered again now so I'm particularly excited for the new album. Based on this song I think we're in for the first good album from them since Pariah's Child in 2014. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

A little Indie metal band, Little Joey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDP9hye2JBY

Around the Network

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh-RgX_2U9w
great song from my childhood

BiON!@ 

Listening to some gothic type music. Some alternative, some industrial/synth.

Mansun - Wide Open Space (1996)
The other other Manson (after Marilyn and Shirley). if you like the song, check out the whole album, there are also some remixes of Mansun songs across various soundtracks - such as the Spawn film.

Kavinsky - Nightcall (2010)
A favourite of hipster bars. Love 'em or hate 'em, hipsters often have good taste in music.

Grimes - My Name is Dark (2020)
You may not like who she's fucked, but she's an interesting artist from the 4AD label (same that brought us Lush, Pixies, Cocteau Twins, and the Breeders). She made a video during the pandemic era that got censored to hell because Evangelion clips and nudity.

NIN - Head like a Hole (1990)
Probably the US's first major Industrial Rock song. They definitely take a lot of influence from the German industrial scene of the 80s (which they sound much closer to) even though Trent usually cites British acts like The Human League, Depeche Mode, and Gary Numan as his main influences.

The Tea Party (not that Tea Party) - Babylon (1997)
Canada's answer to The Doors and Nine Inch Nails.

Stabbing Westward - Violent Mood Swings (1993).
Stabbing Westward is an industrial band with a focus on depression and obsessions. This isn't their best song, but they were good enough to lend their music to Kevin Smith's Clerks in those early days.
Thirty Seven!!!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I love the message to this song. It's a historically early example of a response to troll critics/hypocritics who harassed her, told her to go kill herself over some mild controversy no one remembers or cares about. Music like this would be valuable in today's culture where harassment of artists and production staff by fandoms across media is at an all-time high. They've become so toxic that describing them as evil pieces of shit wouldn't be a stretch. The modern Star Wars fandom is gross; but that sort of mentality has infected other fandoms, like Lord of the Rings, Witcher, Foundation. A bunch of halfwitted fascist adjacent chuckleheads threatening cast and crew for their work. So, yeah, music directed against these fuckwads - although, the song is easy listening :D

Last edited by Jumpin - on 14 March 2024

Gotta love that Oscar Wilde wordplay. I think the expression on his face helps make the song - vocals start at about the 57 second mark.