By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Vita Came "Too Late," Former Sony Exec Says

V-r0cK said:
Nautilus said:
Oh please, that was not Vita problem, at least not one of the real issue.Lack of big hit titles, expensive memory cards, and complete abandon of first party support after the first year or so is the real problem, along with others.

That's pretty much it.  Anybody that says otherwise are just lying or in denial.

Really. You're a company. A product has come out. It isn't selling good. You make stuff for a year. It doesn't pain out. What do you do. Keep putting resoruces into something not working? Or move on? It's Sony's responsability to fix issues. And they tried, for a year. They didn't quit after a month. But if no one wants a product. It will simply be abandoned. That is how it is, for everything. Millions of people still gush over Firefly. At the end of the day. It didn't have the right numbers to keep it going. And Fox was proven right, AGAIN. When the Serenity movie failed.

Do I hate it when a TV show is canceled, yeah. Can TV networks mess up, yes. But you have to realise that Fox, no matter how stupid they are. Does have decades of people understanding how viewerships climb and fall. That's why Simpsons is still on. While Futurama is dead, again.

Around the Network

Bs, the 3ds has sold fine. Sony just gave up too fast

That's BS and they know, they gave up quickly. KZ:M was in 2013 just a year after the release and didn't get proper marketing or anything. They basically just threw the console in the market.
I know they wouldn't get PSP number but at least a 40-50M LT if they had actually supported the thing.

Why lack of buttons (referring L2/L3/R2/R3)? And the memory card was pretty expensive, why is that?

No it's just that you failed to support your console.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network

I think it was a combination of the market changing and bad moves on Sony's part.

Sony's first party titles didn't live up to their potential. Their attempts to crowbar features of the hardware (touch screen, camera, etc) into the games actually hurt the experiences and made it feel like a kid's toy.

In retrospect there are a lot of things they could have done to make it more successful. Sony apparently just doesn't want to admit they made a lot of blunders with Vita.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

SnowPrince said:
That's BS and they know, they gave up quickly. KZ:M was in 2013 just a year and half after the release and didn't get proper marketing or anything. They basically just threw the console in the market.
I know they wouldn't get PSP number but at least a 40-50M LT if they had actually supported the thing.

Fixed (PS Vita 02/2012, KZ:M 09/2013).

Anyway, there were Soul Sacrifice Delta (05/2014) or Freedom Wars (10/2014) too, so 2 years and half. That was quick, but not so quickly as you think.

He is right. The Vita is a shadow of the PSP's success, and the 3DS is a shadow of the DS's success.

It saddened me, though.

I've always wondered why they never bundled the Vita with the PS4 - especially in PS4's launch window. Not that PS4 had to do anything else to beat the WiiU - but Sony had even greater capability than Nintendo to demonstrate remote/2nd screen play given the Vita's tech.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

I can't agree with his assessment. It's true that the handheld market is certainly much smaller than before and they weren't about to match the success of their PSP, but their handheld offered capabilities that no mobile phone could touch. There was still certainly room for the Vita to sell much, much better than it did.