By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Vita Came "Too Late," Former Sony Exec Says

It could have used some...any marketing push. Like the XBO has on the VGC front page. Hmmmmm....needs more XBOX.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
thismeintiel said:

Has it, though? The 3DS started out poor for the followup to the biggest handheld ever. It was selling so poorly, Nintendo had to do a permanent fire sale and drop its price by $80 dollars. Then it did well for a couple of years, but is now back to where it started, with only a few bumps here or there. It won't even pass 80M, maybe not even 70M. Something that even the GBA was able to do, even with the highly popular DS launching only 3 years after it. The dedicated handheld market is dying, there's no other way to look at it. Even Nintendo knows this, hence the hybrid NX.

i think the key word is FINE, he didnt say 3DS has sold amazing/great/spectacular, just fine.

True, but he is also implying that the Vita could have done equally "fine," which I disagree with.  In a dying handheld market, there really is little room for 2 strong competitors.  3DS had the advantage of launching first AND Nintendo willing to lose money on the console by dropping it by $80 months before the Vita came out.  Had Nintendo not done that, they probably would have both ended up selling poorly.  In the end, Tretton is right.  Sure, there were things Sony could have done to have sales a little higher, but it wouldn't have really mattered because gamers are moving on from handhelds en masse.

thismeintiel said:
zorg1000 said:

i think the key word is FINE, he didnt say 3DS has sold amazing/great/spectacular, just fine.

True, but he is also implying that the Vita could have done equally "fine," which I disagree with.  In a dying handheld market, there really is little room for 2 strong competitors.  3DS had the advantage of launching first AND Nintendo willing to lose money on the console by dropping it by $80 months before the Vita came out.  Had Nintendo not done that, they probably would have both ended up selling poorly.  In the end, Tretton is right.  Sure, there were things Sony could have done to have sales a little higher, but it wouldn't have really mattered because gamers are moving on from handhelds en masse.

Indeed. Sony could have taken steps to sell more Vita's. But the likely cost of those steps would have been less financially sound then the result they got with the strategy they took.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

think-man said:
Bs, the 3ds has sold fine. Sony just gave up too fast

The 3DS was first to the market and much cheaper. Its sales peaked in its first year and has dropped every year since then.

torok said:
Nautilus said:

efore I begin, i never said that the mobile market had anything with it.It HAS eaten a portion of the handheld market, and anybody who says otherwise is just fooling themselves.But if you say that is the only reason the vita failed is simply wrong.

The Vita was plagued by a mirriad of mistakes.Expensive memory cards, lack of support after 1 year, expensive launch price, lack of good third party(more mainstream and compared to the 3DS), and many more smaller reasons.The point I am trying to make is that the shrinking of the market alone didnt make the Vita fail this bad.I mean, look at the 3DS.It didnt perform like the DS or the original Gameboy, but it is very likely that it will end selling over 70 millions(It already passed the 60 million mark according to Nintendo, and that was more than 2 months ago.VGchartz numbers are wrong), landing somewhere near what the GBA has done.And with that number, it will have been a successful console.Now, is it wise to launch another handheld console?Most likely not, since the smartphone market probably grew even larger and ate a bigger share of the handheld market, but by the time the Vita launched, it could have been more successful, if the right choices were made.I mean, its not PSP-successful, but I would argue that it could have reached the 30-40 million mark.Maybe even more, who knows.

I understand if he listed that reason as one of the reasons the Vita failed, but as the sole one?They are just trying to push the blame to others, when part of the blame is on them.

You are saying that they stopped supporting it just because they wanted to. They stopped supporting it because it wasn't selling. They didn't stopped supporting it after one year, stop saying this BS. I bought mine exactly one year after the launch when they did the CoD and Assassin's Creed bundles when these games released, also launching LBP. It was almost two or three year after launch that they launched Killzone and Tearaway. 3 year after launch they did their last resorts: Freedom Wars and PS3 collections such as GoW Collection. Nothing worked, so they quit.

Even if they were more efficient, they wouldn't reach even 25M. The PSP's demographic market was oriented to older gamers and teenagers. While some kind won't have phones, teens and adults will surely have, so the impact is even greater.

Also mind that GBA isn't a good measure for 3DS "success" because Nintendo killed it prematurely with the DS after just three years. The 3DS has more than 5 years without any sucessor to kill it early. Even 70M seems unlikely after it did 7M last year and is tracking for 5 this year. With a successor in the next year, it will struggle to do half of it, so things aren't looking bright.

What you have to understand is that he is correct because even if they did a stellar launch, support and product, it would still fail in the end. Why would they expend money and time if it wouldn't help? They just cut support on something that wouldn't work to focus on their winning horse.

What BS?That after the one year(more or less) period, they only released one or two big releases on Vita?And by that I mean first party titles, not bundles which are way easier to do.And in the whole period you listed, Sony launched just a handful of big titles, like Killzone and Tearway and LBP(Im sorry but I dont count a collection of remaster as trying).So launching 3 or 4 big games in a period of 3 years(not countinh first year) is trying?Please.The PS4 can do that because it has heavy third party support(and even then it releases about 3 big titles every year), Sony knew the Vita needed a bigger push.I mean, the only big new IP the Vita had for a good while was Gravity Rush, and that game isnt even great(my opinion).

And it really makes me chuckle when people try to make 3DS sales bad even though it has passed 60 million and it will probably pass 70 million.I mean, yes it isnt the best selling Nintendo console, but it is still freaking 70 million on a shrieking market, and it is even funnier when people like you say that Vita failure is acceptable because the "market is not there anymore" but the 3DS is dissapointing because it, for some reason, should have made it better in the same market.

Look, if Sony had done the same thing as Nintendo by lowering 3DS price at the beginning when it was not selling, by making the memory cards cheaper, the system cheaper, made more games tailored for the system, in another words, tried harder instead of jumping ship in the first sign of failure, I would take on his word(and lets be honest, its not the first time they do that)But that was not the case.So Im sorry, but it is also Sony fault.

Oh, and by the way I do have a Vita and enjoyed it alot, so Im not trying to piss on it.Just making a constructive argument.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

Sega killed it

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Lawlight said:
think-man said:
Bs, the 3ds has sold fine. Sony just gave up too fast

The 3DS was first to the market and much cheaper. Its sales peaked in its first year and has dropped every year since then.

No.  Third year was the peak.

insanely expensive memory cards and lackluster support from first party Sony is why the system failed, not mobile phones.

the 3DS still sells fairly decently weekly and came out earlier, the smartphone argument is moot. We may not see PSP/DS sales again but the 3DS may well end up matching the PSP sales so it certainly shows there is still a market there

torok said:
Nautilus said:
Oh please, that was not Vita problem, at least not one of the real issue.Lack of big hit titles, expensive memory cards, and complete abandon of first party support after the first year or so is the real problem, along with others.

The abandon of first party games was just a side-effect of abysmal sales. They did tried until Tearaway and KZ, and that was more than 2 years after launch.

While these factors did impact it, the handheld market is just a shell of the former days. If 3DS had performed admirably, we could say that was just a problem with Vita, but it isn't even on 60M and will hardly do 70M. The full handheld market this gen is at less than 80M while last gen it was at 240M. It's a stark fall to simply ignore. Hell, GBA had only 3 years on the market before being prematurely killed by the DS and it still manages to outsell both handhelds this gen combined.

Even Nintendo seems to realize it now that they are inded launching mobile games and are combining their handhelds with their home consoles to create a platform that does both things.

The impact cell phones have is too big. It's not like the console vs PC fight, because to have a gaming PC you have to:

- Have a desktop, everybody has laptops. Unless they build one just to game.

- Buy hardware that you don't have: GPUs, etc.

- Reserve a good space on your house to host a massive PC.

The handheld vs smartphone fight is different. Because most phone games run well on mid-end devices and everyone already have a cell phone. Unlike a PC, where you either have to buy an entire desktop or simply upgrade it with parts that cost as much as an entire console. The space thing is reversed: with a handheld, you have to walk around with it plus your phone. Why not game on it? Of course, the games are simpler, but you just want something to kill time for some minutes. The time where you want a more substantial gaming experience, is when you are at home. So you go for your PS4, X1 or PC.

I actually do prefer handhelds, but I understand why people would rather just game on their phones. You even have nice options for hardcore gamers such as Xcom, multipe GTAs and emulators. Get a controller for your phone and you're good to go.

the 3DS may literally match Sony's best selling handheld of all time (PSP), so your argument is just silly.

The 3DS is still regularly selling 100,000 a week, that's pretty damn solid. The market isn't dead, the PS Vita library is garbage, just full of (as others have mentioned) niche titles

Zackasaurus-rex said:
He is right. The Vita is a shadow of the PSP's success, and the 3DS is a shadow of the DS's success.

It saddened me, though.

but its absurd to expect record breaking numbers to ever be matched- the PSP and DS are not the 'norm'. Nintendo's handheld lifetime baseline sales on average probably are like 80 million hardware (GBA, GBC, etc.) The DS at 150 million is not the norm. Just like the PS2 at 150 million is not something you expect to repeat. If the PS4 ends up at like 90 million hardware sold it won't be considered a failure just because it comes nowhere near the record