By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A Defense of the IPhone 7

Price: No, it's obscenely overpriced.

Headphones: Using the lightning adapter means you can't charge and play unless you have Bluetooth. And the earbuds are twice as likely to be lost because they aren't connected, making it not a single item to be lost but two items that render the other less of a product of lost. Also, Apple has never released a "quality wired pair of earbuds", and never will.

The Home Button: It isn't a real click and has no mechanical parts to click. It's a silly thing to be upset over, and even sillier to defend.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

I have an Ipad mini and I bought my wife one too. My work phone and my wife's phone used to be the Iphone 4S. We bought third party licensed chargers and a dock.

One thing that really pissed me off was how via an update all the chargers stopped working. These are officially licensed chargers and a dock.

Me and the wife had bought third party ones as our old apple cables often tear up (wife has OCD and after every use she ties up the charger and puts it away). The licensed third party ones were wrapped up with some material making them more sturdy and cat proof (I have a cat).

Its not so much about not liking the phone for me as much as it's about hating the company and their ethics towards customers. Everything they do pretty much comes across like the decision has come from really milking the customer. From their chargers, to paying astronomical amounts for memory, to buying their licensed docks to now buying their licenced headphones and adapters.

They essentially manage to find a way to make it okay to keep hiking up prices for things that should be affordable and basic.

Additionally, I hate their cult like experiences they try to create. I find the whole thing really cringy. I've seen enough videos from behind the scenes of their launches to make me want to go hide under a rock out of embarrassment.

irstupid said:
ultima said:

Haven't watched the video either, nor have I used their new lightning headphones, but back when I had an iPod and insisted on using Apple headphones for style, I remember being completely mind blown by the difference in sound quality when I got to try out headphones that were about the same price. I eventually realized that you can get better quality headphones for about $10. While I generally believe that all Apple products are overpriced, their peripherals in particular are horrendous for what they cost.

Oh and as for the video, they also mention the new heaphones do not let you skip forward by double tapping. Which I'm pretty sure apple might have made popular, and most all wireless headphones do now. But there are some amazing sounding wireless buds that do stay in anyones ear for the same price as these things. And there are wired ones that sound even better than all the above and cheaper still. And again with various methods of staying in ones ear, whether that is around the ear holding, vaious rubber size buds, or the inside the ear rubber shaped things. 

The point is, if anyone wants anything sound quality, as you said, you would not use apples stock headphones (stock headphones $160 is a joke), but another brand. And as someone above pointed out, you can't charge and listen at same time. 

I'm sure people will come in and say "when do you charge and listen at same time" just as people defend sony for no UHD player, saying it's for gaming.

But my sister was going to get the 7. She is an apple person. But when she heard no headphone jack, she decided not to, because that is what she uses in her car. She hooks up it to her car stereo. Yes she can use adapter, but then she can't use the charger. And that is one major incentive when in a car. You can charge you phone whiel using it. Whether it's the music streaming or using it for GPS. People like to charge phones in their car. 

I hadn't considered that car problem, my car just has a usb port so it charges and plays music simultaneously (I believe that's becoming a common feature of cars). Hopefully a 3rd party splitter comes along sooner rather than later.

I can't really tell myself what everyone has against these ear buds so far, they seem to sound great. It's funny as we're arguing over overpriced hardware, and yet to me one of the more consistently, grossly overpriced areas of hardware in electronics are ear buds and headphones, especially when the differences aren't terribly obvious unless you're a real music enthusiast. I suspect these will please the large majority of people who use them, at least as far as capabilities go.

I'm just looking forward to seeing how long it takes for some 3rd party to come up with a connecting band for the wireless earbuds the way they do for the back of sunglasses haha... wouldn't that look cool.

Azuren said:
Price: No, it's obscenely overpriced.

Headphones: Using the lightning adapter means you can't charge and play unless you have Bluetooth. And the earbuds are twice as likely to be lost because they aren't connected, making it not a single item to be lost but two items that render the other less of a product of lost. Also, Apple has never released a "quality wired pair of earbuds", and never will.

The Home Button: It isn't a real click and has no mechanical parts to click. It's a silly thing to be upset over, and even sillier to defend.

I don't see why it's silly to defend... it's a neat feature that's less prone to breaking, offers touch capabilities, and improves water resistance. I really like it myself.

As I said, the depression and the "click" sound are adjustable and not the result of mechanical parts (again, less prone to breaking). If you miss it you can turn it high, or if not you can leave it off.

Fei-Hung said:
I have an Ipad mini and I bought my wife one too. My work phone and my wife's phone used to be the Iphone 4S. We bought third party licensed chargers and a dock.

One thing that really pissed me off was how via an update all the chargers stopped working. These are officially licensed chargers and a dock.

Me and the wife had bought third party ones as our old apple cables often tear up (wife has OCD and after every use she ties up the charger and puts it away). The licensed third party ones were wrapped up with some material making them more sturdy and cat proof (I have a cat).

Its not so much about not liking the phone for me as much as it's about hating the company and their ethics towards customers. Everything they do pretty much comes across like the decision has come from really milking the customer. From their chargers, to paying astronomical amounts for memory, to buying their licensed docks to now buying their licenced headphones and adapters.

They essentially manage to find a way to make it okay to keep hiking up prices for things that should be affordable and basic.

Additionally, I hate their cult like experiences they try to create. I find the whole thing really cringy. I've seen enough videos from behind the scenes of their launches to make me want to go hide under a rock out of embarrassment.

I too hate that "cult" bit. I've never actually purchased an iPhone in person and haven't stepped foot in an Apple store in years; if it needs repairs the 'UBreakWeFixIt" or w.e guys always get the job done cheaply.

Apple definitely finds ways to extort money from its customers like few companies I've encountered, though I'm not sure what astronomical costs with the memory you're referring to. Peripherals have always been a pain, but outside of a couple cables falling apart I really haven't had any issues with them; I'm hoping not to need any replacements this time around.

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

"packaged with the phone is an audio jack adapter and a set of quality wired earbuds"

Loll. I am pretty sure people that are complaining about it have way better quality earbuds (which actually doesn't take very much to beat apple's stock one) than those. And the thing is... Samsung has done a lot of things with their Galaxy S7 while having the headphone jack. If the S7 wasn't waterproof, then maybe people can understand but the issue is, the Galaxy S7 is Waterproof, has most of those things including the Barometer, has bigger battery and even has wireless charging.

Oh and not to mention you can't charge it while listening to music and considering it effectively requires you to unplug and replug when you want to listen/charge, it will decrease the amount of times the port will allow you to plug and unplug before it dies. So essentially, it cuts the life of the port by a lot since there is always a certain amount of times you can unplug/plug a connection into a port. Oh and of course, people will lose the adapter since it is so tiny and will have to get replacement ones. On top of that, Apple will require companies to get a license for lighting port in order to make wired headphones to work with the iphone 7 which will increase the price of the wired headphones if you want to use the lighting port.

Really, the only reason why Apple really did this is to make more money and hardly anything else. Companies that want to make wired headphones will have to license the connector from apple and not to mention Apple's new airpods.

I've really liked the earbuds thus far, though obviously there's always better ones available. The main point is that you can use whatever earbuds you like with it, and don't have to use wireless if you don't want to. It's true that it means choosing between charging and music, but how often is anyone really looking to do both simultaneously? I've always used my phone for music while out and about, not when I'm stationary where there's generally better options available. Besides, I imagine there will be some cheap 3rd party splitters in no time that allow for simultaneous music and charging, such as the little charging stations/speakers they always come out with for these things. Otherwise, you could play music for many hours before you ever burn through the battery.

Many people do... Like when playing games for example in public. You don't want to bother people with sound and the battery drains like crazy when playing games. Another example is during car rides with Aux + Car Charger. And the list goes on. It's an inconvience for essentially zero noteable gains.

That whole "life of the port" thing is interesting and something I hadn't thought of... I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. My sister has stretched out her iphone 4 across many years now with the port still functioning just fine, though, so I doubt it will be much of an issue.

Yes but she didn't need to plug in her headphones to it everytime she wanted to listen to music... So that port got a ton less stressed. Now, depending on the person, that port will be plugged and unplugged over 5 times a day instead of just once or twice when it needs to only charge.

As for losing the adapter, I must again ask why people are so worried about losing things when it's so easy to keep things organized. It's not as if we haven't always had peripherals that could be lost, so this is nothing new; just be careful with them and consciously place them in a few chosen spots. Otherwise, third party ear buds will always work with the adapter... the only thing you'll be forced to buy directly from Apple itself are the adapters (if you lose your original) or the wireless earbuds. As I complained about in my OP, I've never cared for Apple's approach to peripherals, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be.

With something that tiny? It is really easy. You might not have an issue losing it but tons of people do hence the outcry. Also considering how that thing will bend in your pocket, it will probably brake as well. Again, inconvience for little gain.

Otherwise the picture you paint with the Samsung Galaxy 7/Iphone 7 comparison is one of the Galaxy being able to do everything the iPhone does, but this certainly is not so... here's a list of ways the iPhone is superior to Samsung's Galaxy 7:

Now, I never said that the Galaxy S7 is better than the iphone 7 but said that it has most things that the iphone 7 has and more.

-iPhone 7 water resistance is at least as good, if not superior to the Galaxy 7:
http://bgr.com/2016/09/19/iphone-7-vs-galaxy-s7-water-resistance/

Yet, the Galaxy S7 could do that while having a headphone jack...

-The Taptic Engine and touch features (which accounts for a great deal of the room used within the case) has no true counterpart in Samsung phones. I've already come to love it as it allows the user to do things, such as opening the phone and swapping apps, far faster than before.

Yea but some people don't like the feel while others love it. It is a hit or a miss depending on the person.

-The iPhone 7 is far, far faster than the Galaxy 7. In fact, the iPhone 6s is faster than the Galaxy 7, and in the below comparison they used the smaller model iPhone 7 that crushed Samsung's phone. The more similarly sized iPhone 7 Plus, that went untested in the first video below, has 3gbs of RAM as opposed to the 2gbs of the smaller model, so the difference is even more stark.
https://youtu.be/k_PK_6F_Bhk
https://youtu.be/PVPd7N8Dn5Q

I don't understand why people show this as a way to show has fast a certain phone is over another. Ram Management really doesn't show how powerful a phone is. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Galaxy S7 is more powerful than the iphone 7 cause it isn't but there are far better ways to show that. Ram management is dependent on how the OS is configured as far as how much they allow before closing them. If you want to show power, you should show the benchmarks which iphone 7 still beats but those are a much better way to show it. Also the other issue is that most people just use the US varient of the Galaxy S7 and not the international varient. The international one which every country except the US use has Samsung's Exynos CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks2_rGok6fs

Still doesn't beat the iphone 7 CPU but it performs a lot better than the stupid Snapdragon 820 varient and its even tied on multicore vs iphone 7.

-The iPhone 7's aluminum exterior is much more durable than Samsung's Galaxy 7, making it less likely to break when dropped.
https://youtu.be/CvIoZ9_FJrU

Most people buy a case anyway, specially since the jetblack version is so prone to scratching.

-Though the updates can be irritating, Apple phones have a large advantage in that they receive continous and constant support via patches and updates that Samsung phones often go many months waiting for or even longer once they're no longer the newest generation. As much I don't like updating, I like it even less when I'm waiting for crucial updates to try new apps and utilities.

-The addition of two sterio speakers, one facing up and another facing down, provides superior, clearer sound to the Samsung counterparts.

-When Samsung released the Galaxy 7 it looked to me like their cameras had finally caught up with Apple's iPhone's, but the recent iPhone 7 has raised the bar even higher. I'm excited to see what Samsung does in response.

Apple didn't raise the bar with their cameras with the iphone 7. They still have to catch up to Samsung's Galaxy S7 Camera. (With the exception of the Zoom)

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-iphone-7-plus-galaxy-s7-camera-comparison-2016-9

-Finally, no iPhone 7's have spontaneously combusted yet :D

Thats the Note 7, Not the Galaxy S7. If you are going to take shots, take them properly. Oh and that is being recalled and being fixed, guess what won't be fixed though... The lack of a headphone jack for the entire life of the device.

Obviously, both are great phones, but this notion that the iPhone 7 has nothing unique to offer is just silly. Given the size of the normal iPhone 7, it being shorter, thinner, and lighter, they've made excellent use of the space in a way that allows the phone to outperform the Galaxy 7 in many areas.

But the iphone 7 is more of an inconvience on a day to day usage than a Galaxy S7... Yes it is more powerful but to most people, it won't matter very often. There is hardly going to be any games that will use that power because most devs want to be on as many devices as possible. The taptic engine is more contraversial than anything since some people love it while others hate it. I do like the dual speakers and Apple's software updates are a given. Where as we look at what the Galaxy S7 brought us, people will use its features a lot more on a day to day usage. It has wireless charging which a ton of new affordable cars have and are getting as well as coffee shops like starbucks has them. It has a better camera which people use frequently. It has micro SD so people can watch their HD prawn anytime and you can also move apps to there. The screen resolution is better but it is also AmoLED which means that the pixels turn off when producing black colors which = battery saving. You can also use it for VR with the Galaxy VR. And of course, it has a headphone jack so you don't have to worry about the inconvicence of the adapter and etc.

One notable exception is resolution, where the Galaxy 7 still exceeds the iPhone 7, but even there the iPhone 7 has increased its gamuts of colors and brightness to match Samsung's phone. The other big difference that I prefer Samsung's approach to over Apple's is that they allow Micro SD cards (probably because they manufacture them) to increase storage, whereas Apple requires that you either pay a small monthly fee for more cloud space or simply delete files to make room. I never even finished filling the previous phone, though, and can't imagine reaching 128gb on this one... adding to that the ease of simply exporting your pictures to a computer, and it really doesn't seem like any kind of problem.

So yes, both great phones, but there are certainly things the iPhone 7 does better than the Galaxy 7. It's just a matter of preferences, really.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

and in the spirit of arguing, i present counter-claims to each of your points:

Price -
so your argument is that you had the money to spend so you got it, but other people arent in that kind of position so it isnt for them. arguing that something "is not for everyone" is the weakest excuse you can use to try to defend something. this is a smartphone, meaning if there is a large amount of the smartphone market that doesnt like it, it has failed its one purpose. if you open a restaurant, you want to have your food appeal to everyone. if you design a tv show you want it to appeal to everyone. if you design a smartphone, you want it to appeal to everyone, not just some of the people.

Headphones -
the new airpods are the most redundant thing on the planet. the headphone dongle is now just another thing iPhone users have to carry around with them. the airpods themselves are almost useless. they can ONLY be used with the iphone 7. meaning you need an actual set of headphones for everything else. and why did it have to be tiny headphones that could be easily misplaced. why not a headset that is basically impossible to lose? and your argument of "It seems likely to me that most of the people who misplace their earbuds are the same ones who would likewise replace their wired earbuds." is exactly the point. a normal wired set of headphones can cost a few bucks, these are $150, not something you want to lose. and dont say it makes the space inside the phone easier to use. i have eaten pancakes thicker that this phone. an extra few millimeters of thickness would not hurt, and it would have enough space for everything.

Home Button -
i hate touch censors and want them to stop existing. NEXT

everything else mentioned is something Apple just caught up with, is still behind on, or is just basic expectation for buying a new phone. and while all that is great, here are a few things all new phone models should have but Apple seemed to sweep under the rug-

Call quality
App speed
glass strength
any new features whatsoever

in all honesty, it feels like they make this phone because they felt like they had to, because they backed themselves into a corner by always releasing a new phone every year. so they threw the iPhone 7 into the market with nothing supporting it just knowing that people would want it anyways.

Captain_Yuri said:
Johnw1104 said:

I've really liked the earbuds thus far, though obviously there's always better ones available. The main point is that you can use whatever earbuds you like with it, and don't have to use wireless if you don't want to. It's true that it means choosing between charging and music, but how often is anyone really looking to do both simultaneously? I've always used my phone for music while out and about, not when I'm stationary where there's generally better options available. Besides, I imagine there will be some cheap 3rd party splitters in no time that allow for simultaneous music and charging, such as the little charging stations/speakers they always come out with for these things. Otherwise, you could play music for many hours before you ever burn through the battery.

Many people do... Like when playing games for example in public. You don't want to bother people with sound and the battery drains like crazy when playing games. Another example is during car rides with Aux + Car Charger. And the list goes on. It's an inconvience for essentially zero gains.

That whole "life of the port" thing is interesting and something I hadn't thought of... I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. My sister has stretched out her iphone 4 across many years now with the port still functioning just fine, though, so I doubt it will be much of an issue.

Yes but she didn't need to plug in her headphones to it everytime she wanted to listen to music... So that port got a ton less stressed. Now, depending on the person, that port will be plugged and unplugged over 5 times a day instead of just once or twice when it needs to only charge.

As for losing the adapter, I must again ask why people are so worried about losing things when it's so easy to keep things organized. It's not as if we haven't always had peripherals that could be lost, so this is nothing new; just be careful with them and consciously place them in a few chosen spots. Otherwise, third party ear buds will always work with the adapter... the only thing you'll be forced to buy directly from Apple itself are the adapters (if you lose your original) or the wireless earbuds. As I complained about in my OP, I've never cared for Apple's approach to peripherals, but it's not as bad as some make it out to be.

With something that tiny? It is really easy. You might not have an issue losing it but tons of people do hence the outcry. Also considering how that thing will bend in your pocket, it will probably brake as well. Again, inconvience for little gain.

Otherwise the picture you paint with the Samsung Galaxy 7/Iphone 7 comparison is one of the Galaxy being able to do everything the iPhone does, but this certainly is not so... here's a list of ways the iPhone is superior to Samsung's Galaxy 7:

Now, I never said that the Galaxy S7 is better than the iphone 7 but said that it has most things that the iphone 7 has and more.

-iPhone 7 water resistance is at least as good, if not superior to the Galaxy 7:
http://bgr.com/2016/09/19/iphone-7-vs-galaxy-s7-water-resistance/

Yet, the Galaxy S7 could do that while having a headphone jack...

-The Taptic Engine and touch features (which accounts for a great deal of the room used within the case) has no true counterpart in Samsung phones. I've already come to love it as it allows the user to do things, such as opening the phone and swapping apps, far faster than before.

Yea but some people don't like the feel while others love it. It is a hit or a miss depending on the person.

-The iPhone 7 is far, far faster than the Galaxy 7. In fact, the iPhone 6s is faster than the Galaxy 7, and in the below comparison they used the smaller model iPhone 7 that crushed Samsung's phone. The more similarly sized iPhone 7 Plus, that went untested in the first video below, has 3gbs of RAM as opposed to the 2gbs of the smaller model, so the difference is even more stark.
https://youtu.be/k_PK_6F_Bhk
https://youtu.be/PVPd7N8Dn5Q

I don't understand why people show this as a way to show has fast a certain phone is over another. Ram Management really doesn't show how powerful a phone is. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Galaxy S7 is more powerful than the iphone 7 cause it isn't but there are far better ways to show that. Ram management is dependent on how the OS is configured as far as how much they allow before closing them. If you want to show power, you should show the benchmarks which iphone 7 still beats but those are a much better way to show it. Also the other issue is that most people just use the US varient of the Galaxy S7 and not the international varient. The international one which every country except the US use has Samsung's Exynos CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks2_rGok6fs

Still doesn't beat the iphone 7 CPU but it performs a lot better than the stupid Snapdragon 820 varient.

-The iPhone 7's aluminum exterior is much more durable than Samsung's Galaxy 7, making it less likely to break when dropped.
https://youtu.be/CvIoZ9_FJrU

Most people buy a case anyway, specially since the jetblack version is so prone to scratching.

-Though the updates can be irritating, Apple phones have a large advantage in that they receive continous and constant support via patches and updates that Samsung phones often go many months waiting for or even longer once they're no longer the newest generation. As much I don't like updating, I like it even less when I'm waiting for crucial updates to try new apps and utilities.

-The addition of two sterio speakers, one facing up and another facing down, provides superior, clearer sound to the Samsung counterparts.

-When Samsung released the Galaxy 7 it looked to me like their cameras had finally caught up with Apple's iPhone's, but the recent iPhone 7 has raised the bar even higher. I'm excited to see what Samsung does in response.

Apple didn't raise the bar with their cameras with the iphone 7. They still have to catch up to Samsung's Galaxy S7 Camera. (With the exception of the Zoom)

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-iphone-7-plus-galaxy-s7-camera-comparison-2016-9

-Finally, no iPhone 7's have spontaneously combusted yet :D

Thats the Note 7, Not the Galaxy S7. If you are going to take shots, take them properly. Oh and that is being recalled and being fixed, guess what won't be fixed though... The lack of a headphone jack for the entire life of the device.

Obviously, both are great phones, but this notion that the iPhone 7 has nothing unique to offer is just silly. Given the size of the normal iPhone 7, it being shorter, thinner, and lighter, they've made excellent use of the space in a way that allows the phone to outperform the Galaxy 7 in many areas.

But the iphone 7 is more of an inconvience on a day to day usage than a Galaxy S7... Yes it is more powerful but to most people, it won't matter very often. There is hardly going to be any games that will use that power because most devs want to be on as many devices as possible. The taptic engine is more contraversial than anything since some people love it while others hate it. I do like the dual speakers and Apple's software updates are a given. Where as we look at what the Galaxy S7 brought us, people will use its features a lot more on a day to day usage. It has wireless charging which a ton of new affordable cars have and are getting as well as coffee shops like starbucks has them. It has a better camera which people use frequently. It has micro SD so people can watch their HD prawn anytime and you can also move apps to there. The screen resolution is better but it is also AmoLED which means that the pixels turn off when producing black colors which = battery saving. You can also use it for VR with the Galaxy VR. And of course, it has a headphone jack so you don't have to worry about the inconvicence of the adapter and etc.

One notable exception is resolution, where the Galaxy 7 still exceeds the iPhone 7, but even there the iPhone 7 has increased its gamuts of colors and brightness to match Samsung's phone. The other big difference that I prefer Samsung's approach to over Apple's is that they allow Micro SD cards (probably because they manufacture them) to increase storage, whereas Apple requires that you either pay a small monthly fee for more cloud space or simply delete files to make room. I never even finished filling the previous phone, though, and can't imagine reaching 128gb on this one... adding to that the ease of simply exporting your pictures to a computer, and it really doesn't seem like any kind of problem.

So yes, both great phones, but there are certainly things the iPhone 7 does better than the Galaxy 7. It's just a matter of preferences, really.

"I don't understand why people show this as a way to show has fast a certain phone is over another. Ram Management really doesn't show how powerful a phone is. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Galaxy S7 is more powerful than the iphone 7 cause it isn't but there are far better ways to show that. Ram management is dependent on how the OS is configured as far as how much they allow before closing them. If you want to show power, you should show the benchmarks which iphone 7 still beats but those are a much better way to show it. Also the other issue is that most people just use the US varient of the Galaxy S7 and not the international varient. The international one which every country except the US use has Samsung's Exynos CPU."

This is actually rather interesting to me as on paper the Samsung really ought to be far closer in performance to the iPhone 7 than it is (some predicted it would outperform it prior to release)... I suspect it's a result of Apple's OS being designed specifically to take advantage of the hardware, much like Nintendo always seems to get the most out of their own consoles.

Basically, the raw power of both phones is actually much closer, but when it comes to actual everyday performance (such as opening and switching apps) the iPhone 7 pulls away.

"Apple didn't raise the bar with their cameras with the iphone 7. They still have to catch up to Samsung's Galaxy S7 Camera. (With the exception of the Zoom)"

This is one that really surprises me. The first thing I did when I got the iPhone 7 is test out the camera, and it seemed to  me to be clearly the best camera yet produced on the market with features you'll only find in it. When I checked just now, though, that's very much up in the air, with many saying the Samsung's variant is superior.

There's a couple of areas the iPhone 7 definitely outshines the Samsung. First, obviously, is the zoom, which is a first of its kind and something I've been waiting ages for. Another advantage of the telephoto lens is that images more closely reflect what the human eyes see, which makes for better portraits and such in good lighting. Finally, the iPhone 7 is better at adjusting on the fly.

Meanwhile, the Galaxy 7 appears to have slightly better contrast. It also makes less errors, as the iPhone 7 often overexposes the sky while attempting to focus in on passing people and faces, something it also does at times when focusing on something close (the Galaxy 7 has superior dynamic range). The one clear advantage, though, is in low lighting settings such as night, where the Galaxy 7 is still well ahead of the iPhone 7. Really, the iPhone has been beyond terrible at dark photos from its inception and this is the first model I've seen that has improved said pictures tremendously, but they still lag noticeably behind the Galaxy 7.

Otherwise, for the most part the two cameras are often indistinguishable from one another. I think it comes down to what is more important for you: Zoom capabilities and cleaner portraits, or sharper colors, contrast, and superior low-lighting pictures. 

"Thats the Note 7, Not the Galaxy S7. If you are going to take shots, take them properly. Oh and that is being recalled and being fixed, guess what won't be fixed though... The lack of a headphone jack for the entire life of the device."

It was merely an attempt at levity. Of course, it's not only the Note 7 that has exploded (at the very least so has the Galaxy 7 Edge), which is likely why Samsung is dropping their affiliate and moving on to entirely new batteries for all of their phones.

"
But the iphone 7 is more of an inconvience on a day to day usage than a Galaxy S7... Yes it is more powerful but to most people, it won't matter very often. There is hardly going to be any games that will use that power because most devs want to be on as many devices as possible. The taptic engine is more contraversial than anything since some people love it while others hate it. I do like the dual speakers and Apple's software updates are a given. Where as we look at what the Galaxy S7 brought us, people will use its features a lot more on a day to day usage. It has wireless charging which a ton of new affordable cars have and are getting as well as coffee shops like starbucks has them. It has a better camera which people use frequently. It has micro SD so people can watch their HD prawn anytime and you can also move apps to there. The screen resolution is better but it is also AmoLED which means that the pixels turn off when producing black colors which = battery saving. You can also use it for VR with the Galaxy VR. And of course, it has a headphone jack so you don't have to worry about the inconvicence of the adapter and etc."

I'll simply have to disagree with you on which is more of an inconvenience for day-to-day usage. Really, if Apple has nailed one thing with their hardware and OS its convenience, from its layout to constant updates (annoying though they may be) to many features like Itunes, iCloud, Apple Pay and so forth. From day one they've designed their products with the layman in mind. Any "controversy" surrounding the Taptic Engine is, in my mind, little more than all those people who initially hated losing the tactile buttons for dialing when the move was first made to smartphones; there's really no reason to dislike it and people will soon grow accustomed to it.

Otherwise, you speak of the "wireless charging" that many "new affordable" cars have, and that's definitely a cool feature. Those same cars are also being produced with USB ports (most have them these days) which, mind you, will allow the iPhone 7 to simultaneously charge and play music (as will any car with Bluetooth equipped). I imagine both will be perfectly fine going forward.

As I already stated above, the iPhone 7 camera is excellent, matches or just barely trails the Samsung in just about all ways short of night time photos, and has the first quality zoom on a mobile smartphone and takes better, more realistic looking portraits. It's definitely a matter of preference, but Samsung's camera is not simply "better".

The only real area I agree with is the Micro SD thing but, as we're talking about average people here, I can't imagine many will ever need to worry about that storage maximum. Even if they do, the iCloud is more affordable than it previously was ($36 gets you a year of 200gb of additional memory), and it automatically backs up everything on your phone in case the phone is lost (another convenience). If you don't feel like spending any money, you can just do the smart thing and simply dump a lot of your photos onto a computer... I still don't get why that's such a big deal for people; I doubt many people are relying on a tiny screen for their "HD prawn" lol

Samsung's does indeed have higher resolution, but at this size it's not the enormous difference that might be more apparent were they larger. Indeed, I doubt any average iPhone 7 user will feel like they're missing out as the screen still looks pretty darn great. From what I've seen the battery life of both phones are rather similar.

I'll admit I hadn't even thought of VR as I've been setting up my PC for the Vive, but google informs me that there's some good options for it such as the Homido. Interestingly, google also suggests that Apple is clearly pursuing VR themselves, something I had no idea about (though I doubt they'll use the iPhone 7). If a person really wants to try VR but doesn't feel like buying the PS4 or an Oculus/Vive etc, then the Samsung Galaxy 7 is probably the way to go, but there's definitely options on the iPhone 7 as well.

Really, I just don't think an adapter for an audio jack suddenly causes this thing to be exceedingly inconvenient. Really, I've found it to be a joy since I got it, and the few people I know who also got it love theirs as well.

The iPhone 7 looks stupid. No home button is just not something I want (you can skip the password using fingerprint in the iPhone 5S). No headphone jack is stupid as well. 

Yerm said:
and in the spirit of arguing, i present counter-claims to each of your points:

Price -
so your argument is that you had the money to spend so you got it, but other people arent in that kind of position so it isnt for them. arguing that something "is not for everyone" is the weakest excuse you can use to try to defend something. this is a smartphone, meaning if there is a large amount of the smartphone market that doesnt like it, it has failed its one purpose. if you open a restaurant, you want to have your food appeal to everyone. if you design a tv show you want it to appeal to everyone. if you design a smartphone, you want it to appeal to everyone, not just some of the people.

First, this phone obviously hasn't "failed" when it's selling like hot cakes. Second, there are target demographics for everything. Buying a new iPhone 7 if you're not all that interested in smart phones or are short on cash doesn't make a lick of sense. Referencing restaurants, you are apparently under the impression that a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and a Burger King are targeting the same consumers and offering the same products merely because they're both restaurants. The appeal may be there, but that doesn't mean it's a wise or advisable purchase. Context is king.

Headphones -
the new airpods are the most redundant thing on the planet. the headphone dongle is now just another thing iPhone users have to carry around with them. the airpods themselves are almost useless. they can ONLY be used with the iphone 7. meaning you need an actual set of headphones for everything else. and why did it have to be tiny headphones that could be easily misplaced. why not a headset that is basically impossible to lose? and your argument of "It seems likely to me that most of the people who misplace their earbuds are the same ones who would likewise replace their wired earbuds." is exactly the point. a normal wired set of headphones can cost a few bucks, these are $150, not something you want to lose. and dont say it makes the space inside the phone easier to use. i have eaten pancakes thicker that this phone. an extra few millimeters of thickness would not hurt, and it would have enough space for everything.

Ear Buds are more popular than headphones when out and about; if they'd included headphones instead people would be out buying ear buds right now. Losing those wireless "airpods" or whatever would indeed be painful, I don't disagree there... I just tend to keep track of my things by having designated pockets for them (the small pocket in jeans is a great place, for instance, and I keep my adapter there as well). You can bet if I ever lose them I'll just be using wired ear buds going forward heh

Home Button -
i hate touch censors and want them to stop existing. NEXT

lol You don't even have to use the touch features, it feels and functions like old home buttons. Unfortunately, much like everyone who initially hated the idea of losing buttons for dialing (I was one of them) but eventually caved, touch censors aren't going anywhere.

everything else mentioned is something Apple just caught up with, is still behind on, or is just basic expectation for buying a new phone. and while all that is great, here are a few things all new phone models should have but Apple seemed to sweep under the rug-
They've just produced the best speaker system on the market and are the first to introduce quality zoom to mobile cameras, but ok.

Call quality
App speed
glass strength
any new features whatsoever
Call quality has been great for me (speakerphone mode is also much improved due to better speakers and mic), app speed is faster than any comparable smart phone, it's now made of aluminum and more durable than most of its competitors (including the Samsung Galaxy 7), and like I said before, there are indeed new features and improvements.

in all honesty, it feels like they make this phone because they felt like they had to, because they backed themselves into a corner by always releasing a new phone every year. so they threw the iPhone 7 into the market with nothing supporting it just knowing that people would want it anyways.

They definitely feel a need to innovate, which can be hard when you've squeezed most of the features people want onto the phone already. I really wish they'd stop with these mid-generation installments and just take a couple years to really "wow" us with the iPhone 8, but knowing them that won't happen.