By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Won’t Require Native 4K on Scorpio Games

Pemalite said:
teigaga said:
If Microsoft wants to exist "without" generations they certainly can't have 6+Tflops all going towards resolution

Can you explain to me how flops is somehow tied to a specific resolution?

Resolution in general. Native 4k will eat up most of the GPU's extra resources. In a world where Microsoft wants to sell the Scorpio next to the PS5 as a cheaper system & have it support next gen games, a 4k mandate will make that highly unpractical for developers. 

Around the Network
scrapking said:

Machiavellian said:

I believe MS will get a portion of their base back because those people still enjoy the games that MS make.  They may also get the people who majority play 3rd party games if they can prove an advantage in performance and image quality over the PS4 pro.  Last but not least, probably CES or E3 we probably will see MS VR effort.  If MS can prove the scorpio does better within that area as well this could also be an advantage.  

The thing is, there is a lot of time for MS and Sony to screw up or execute successfully. Its in MS best interest to keep drumming up every advantage no matter how slight it is to show a difference between their offerings and Sony.  Successful marketing will be how MS can relay that info to your average consumer.

Reading that got me excited for a Gears of War VR game where you have to watch the sky for airborne attacks, but also look down watching for emergence holes.  I think I just wet myself with glee.  :D

I'm an Xbox owner, but I'm giving serious debate about what VR solution I want between the HTC Vive and PSVR.  I might get a PS4Pro for VR, or may get a Vive and upgrade my PC.  The Vive may later work on the Scorpio, but that's just a wild-assed guess at this point.  Decisions, decisions.  I wish they'd released more info about Scorpio and VR.  I might be willing to wait, if I knew what I was waiting for!

Well at least wait to hear what solution Scorpio will use, so that at least you could get wider use of it... though i think the chances are greater that they plan a partnership with Oculus.

If you haven't heard, being early adopers for VR has been meh, and that doesn't exclude PS VR and what surely will be a tech-demoey, first wave lineup. So its best to watch the dust settle a bit and worse case scenario you save a few bucks and have a better quality library to chose from after some time.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

teigaga said:
Pemalite said:

Can you explain to me how flops is somehow tied to a specific resolution?

Resolution in general. Native 4k will eat up most of the GPU's extra resources. In a world where Microsoft wants to sell the Scorpio next to the PS5 as a cheaper system & have it support next gen games, a 4k mandate will make that highly unpractical for developers. 

Obviously incorrect and lacking a proper technical detailed answer.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
teigaga said:

Obviously incorrect and lacking a proper technical detailed answer.

Ermm... Ok. 

Until you care to elaborate in a meaningful response, I'm sticking with the widely akcnoweldged notion that higher resolutions are a GPU drain, hence PS4 Pro having 4.2Tflops versus 1.8, and rendering Horizon at 2x1080p instead of native 4k. Hence why several games utilising Pro have improved graphics at 1080p whilst having lower graphical settings in 4k (which isn't even native 4k)

Glad I don't care about resolution this or that. Give me great gameplay at a great frame rate, I'm happy.

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
Whatever.

If devs can get that 1080p/60fps standard on Scorpio then it'll be a way better buy than a Pro. Which just seems unnecessary. But I don't know how many devs actually care about getting 60 frames on console.

I believe that 60fps is easily possible on Xone and PS4 as well as PS4 pro and Scorpio. The problem is that higher framerates don't sell as wel as better graphics do. Even if MS outfits the Xone 2 Scorpio with 30 terraflops developers will find a way to utilize all those terraflops for graphical ends and keep the framerate steadily at 30. If you want 60fps on almost every game buy either a nintendo console or a gaming pc. Sony sure as hell won't offer it to you and MS will offer a little more 60fps games (Forza Motorsports, Halo etc.), but the mass will forever be in 30fps on PS and MS consoles.  

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Mr Puggsly said:
JRPGfan said:

I expect the PS5 to be atleast twice of what the PS4 pro is.

That would suck, that isn't much more powerful than the X1 Scorpio. If the PS5 comes in 2019 or 2020, they should be able to better than that.

The Scorpio is 4 years later and has over 4x the GPU power. Sony should go big to push 4K and graphics.

Depends what you consider twice as powerful, a 16GB GGDR5 a twice as fast CPU, 8.4TF system isn't all that bad and considerably more powerful than the Scorpio. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

from what perma said 6TF also doesn't see really capable of true native 4k unless they make a lot of compromisses. But let's see what they will deliver when the time comes. If used the right way sure the 6 will allows better graphics than 4.2. but if only used to force 4k instead of the checkerboard it may show very minimum gain and perhaps on 1080tv have a worse iq.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KLXVER said:
alternine said:
PS4 selling like crazy and being weaker than the competition. We really are back in the PS2 days lol

Well you only have to go back to last gen with the Wii.

Well that wasn't the case with this Gen...PS4 was the most powerful with respect to the competiton when the gen kicked off.  What matters is games and price point ultimately. 

Qwark said:
Mr Puggsly said:

That would suck, that isn't much more powerful than the X1 Scorpio. If the PS5 comes in 2019 or 2020, they should be able to better than that.

The Scorpio is 4 years later and has over 4x the GPU power. Sony should go big to push 4K and graphics.

Depends what you consider twice as powerful, a 16GB GGDR5 a twice as fast CPU, 8.4TF system isn't all that bad and considerably more powerful than the Scorpio. 

8 teraflop GPU and more RAM might be enough to push Scorpio 4K/30 fps games to 4K and maybe 60 fps with extra polish on textures and effects.

But not enough power to really demonstrate a significant generation leap post Scorpio. With those specs all PS5 games could be cross gen with Pro and Scorpio.

On a sidenote, I believe MS is making the Scorpio more future proof with higher end specs. Between the massive GPU boost and UHD, it will likely share games with the next Xbox as well. Sony may have to follow suit somehow or thats gonna be a huge advantage for MS.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)