By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Won’t Require Native 4K on Scorpio Games

Machiavellian said:

Wasn't there discussion after discussion about the difference between 900p and 1080P where the fanboys get to crown their champinion.  This will be no different.  We will see DF articles that show a softer image on the PS4Pro while the Scorpio will have a sharper image like we see to day with the PS4 and X1 and the world will continue wih the same debates but now PS gamers playing damage control and XB acting superior.

But it doesn't matter, remember? For the last 3 years 900p hasn't been a problem and I can see no reason why this pushed narrative is going to change just because it now suits. Plus Sony CAN advertise 'native 4K' on certain games. With a years head start and 4K/HDR, the Scorpio will struggle to convince anyone outside of the internet that it's worth buying over the PS4pro.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Machiavellian said:

Wasn't there discussion after discussion about the difference between 900p and 1080P where the fanboys get to crown their champinion.  This will be no different.  We will see DF articles that show a softer image on the PS4Pro while the Scorpio will have a sharper image like we see to day with the PS4 and X1 and the world will continue wih the same debates but now PS gamers playing damage control and XB acting superior.

But it doesn't matter, remember? For the last 3 years 900p hasn't been a problem and I can see no reason why this pushed narrative is going to change just because it now suits. Plus Sony CAN advertise 'native 4K' on certain games. With a years head start and 4K/HDR, the Scorpio will struggle to convince anyone outside of the internet that it's worth buying over the PS4pro.

It matters to the same people who made 1080p matter above 900p.  I believe the pro will sell fine but that does not mean the scorpio will not also sell if MS has the games and a decent price point.  If people like the games MS has then they will also purchase the Scorpio or upgrade their existing X1.  

Machiavellian said:

It matters to the same people who made 1080p matter above 900p.  I believe the pro will sell fine but that does not mean the scorpio will not also sell if MS has the games and a decent price point.  If people like the games MS has then they will also purchase the Scorpio or upgrade their existing X1.  

The whole point of MS pushing the specs and resolution is in the hope of stealing PS4 owners back. That's what I'm addressing here.

The PS5 Exists. 

since when did Sony forcing 3rd-party to develop their games 4k a must??

i thought just at least 1080p a must?

The Scorpio is being hyped as a 4k gaming console but probably it isn't yet enough for 4k like last gen wasn't ready for 1080p. What comes to mind is, if ms own studios are going for native 4k as a set rule, those games are going to suffer is other areas...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
Machiavellian said:

The whole point of MS pushing the specs and resolution is in the hope of stealing PS4 owners back. That's what I'm addressing here.

I believe MS will get a portion of their base back because those people still enjoy the games that MS make.  They may also get the people who majority play 3rd party games if they can prove an advantage in performance and image quality over the PS4 pro.  Last but not least, probably CES or E3 we probably will see MS VR effort.  If MS can prove the scorpio does better within that area as well this could also be an advantage.  

The thing is, there is a lot of time for MS and Sony to screw up or execute successfully. Its in MS best interest to keep drumming up every advantage no matter how slight it is to show a difference between their offerings and Sony.  Successful marketing will be how MS can relay that info to your average consumer.

I look forward to 1st party MS titles flexing their 4K HDR muscles on my 65"....plus you know Bethesda's next bigs (ElderScrolls, Wolfenstein, etc...) will very likely be running 4K native on Scorpio....and that's just a cool experience to see that coming from a console.

I'm of the mindset that if its a great experience for couch gaming, i would rather invest into that ecosystem for a few years than to dump $650 into a graphics card that has trouble hitting 4k 60fps after a few releases. Chasing that high end has hit a wall for me, no more bending over for AMD and Nvidias throttling of their drivers and being sold on multi cards to end up getting  shoddy multi card support. 

PC needs to take that next step of excitement now. We need a 4K Ultrawide Gsync...5K monitor or something...and none of that sounds that exciting right now due to the ridiculous cost of 2 yr turnover hardware

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

JRPGfan said:
teigaga said:
I don't even expect PS5 to have 4k as a standard.

I expect the PS5 to be atleast twice of what the PS4 pro is.

By 2020, hopefully thats possible at 399$.

Which will be 4k standart imo, also by then many many more people will have 4k tv's.

Yea, top of the line PS4 graphics should have no problem running 4K on the PS5.  However, I fully expect devs to take advantage of Sony's checkerboard tech to push the graphics even more.

Good that there not forcing Devs to reach 4K. This gives them a chance to have bigger worlds, better FPS, ect and the games will still look great because of the six teraflops.

I'm hoping that in the future, all Scorpio games come with a 1080p/60 fps/ultra settings option. I'm glad he is pointing out that fps is still a thing too. Resolution doesn't have to be the end all of console power.

I also hope that this means improved BC with 360 games too.