By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 12th - 18th September 2016

Turkish said:
PS4 carrying the Japanese games industry single-handedly.

Around the Network

Famitsu up

Ryng_Tolu said:
tbone51 said:
P5 did well! It will do 600k in japan afterall!

We need that splatoon comparison now for p5 :p

Here you go

I think that it will be a sad comparison. Persona don't has multiplayer to  sell it in the long-term, neither is the biggest game for the PS4.

Acevil said:
Mike_L said:

Well, if the NX is a hybrid handheld (like everything points to) it should of course do good in Japan. Japan loves their handheld gaming. PS2 is the only home console in the top 5 best selling consoles in Japan. The rest are handhelds.

It should tell you something when PS4 is the 2nd fastest selling home console ever worldwide and yet the "failed" Vita still has a 2 mill lead over it in Japan.

Which makes it really impressive world wide, doesn't it. I will never take away that accomplishmen .

Yes, PS4 has healthy numbers worldwide.

It's not doing that hot in Japan though. At least it seems like it won't settle with under half of what its predecessor sold like the PS3 did.

Japan:
PS1: 20 mill
PS2: 23 mill
PS3: 10 mill

My personal prediction is that PS4's lifetime sales in Japan will be 7-8 mill.

In 31 months the PS4 has sold 3.2 mill units in Japan. If PS5 launches November 2019, PS4 still has 38 months as the primary PlayStation console and it will of course still sell in some degree after the launch of PS5.

All of the top 10 best selling franchises on PS home consoles in Japan (historically) have yet to see a mainline iteration on PS4. And I think (and hope) that when these games start coming PS4's Japanese sales will be healthy enough to reach that 7-8 mill lifetime.

Top 30 best selling franchises on PlayStation home consoles in Japan (franchises with a mainline title on PS4 in bold):
1. Final Fantasy
2. Dragon Quest
3. Gran Turismo
4. Resident Evil
5. Hot Shots Golf

6. Kingdom Hearts
7. Tekken
8. Crash Bandicoot
9. PaRappa The Rapper
10. Onimusha

11. Dance Dance Revolution
12. Pro Evolution Soccer
13. Arc the Lad
14. Parasite Eve
15. Musou (Dynasty and Samurai Warriors)

16. Metal Gear Solid
17. Grand Theft Auto
18. Gundam
19. Xenogears
20. SaGa

21. Yakuza
22. Tales of
23. Ridge Racer
24. Dragon Ball
25. Legend of Mana

26. Star Ocean
27. Dragon's Dogma
28. Dino Crisis
29. Chrono
30. Call of Duty

Swordmasterman said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Here you go

I think that it will be a sad comparison. Persona don't has multiplayer to  sell it in the long-term, neither is the biggest game for the PS4.

Its actually more of a joke. Im pretty sure he wont be doing a comparison for weeks. This is really a joke for last years discussion whether or not p5 or splatoon will be bigger (at the time splatoon wasnt over 500k in sales)

Around the Network

That seems to be pretty good for Persona 5, no?

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

tbone51 said:
Swordmasterman said:

Its actually more of a joke. Im pretty sure he wont be doing a comparison for weeks. This is really a joke for last years discussion whether or not p5 or splatoon will be bigger (at the time splatoon wasnt over 500k in sales)

Atleast Persona 5 did much better than previous games even with the low sales of the PS4, compared to the PS2. And I'm sure that Persona is much bigger worldwide than it ever was.

Kresnik said:
S.Peelman said:
They're counting 2DS's all of a sudden now?

They just launched the non-Pokemon-limited-edition version of it in Japan, hence it now being tracked (and causing a 3DS boost).

Ah, didn't realize they only had it as the SE over there.

Swordmasterman said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

Here you go

Not to mention that Persona is a stablished franchise, while Splatoon is still in its infancy..