By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do I love 60 fps even on consoles

Sometimes i actually prefer 30. I often feel as though 60 makes the gamw feel like its in fast forward

Around the Network

You should try DOOM its fucking amazing. 60fps and graphics still look great.

krippaz said:

I have always played PC games  and want +60 fps so for me the people defending sub 30 fps are crazy.

I play console games but I notice I rather play a old remastered game with 60 fps than a new game with

sub 30 fps. 

I bought Bioshock remastered collection 60 fps, Diablo 60 fps, the last of us 60 fps and alot of other remaster with 60 fps. 

I tried and love the witcher 3 but sub 30 fps made me stop playing it on console.

I think the future are +60 fps but some ppl are defending sub 30 fps. The same I heard about sub 1080p or not

see how great HDR can be.

im kinda jumped back on consoles after a stint on pc. i find 30fp fine on many titles for example ive just bought uncharted 4 and its beyond amazing i wouldt get rid of it because its not in 60. the issue is if it struggled to stick to 30fps, a locked experiance is better than variable fps

ive also got hold of forza horizons on x1 backwards compat its 30fps and its smooth as hell, 60 would be nice but im fine with it

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Is 60fps required for a game to be playable? No, but at the same time, it is hard for me to grasp how anyone would defend 30fps in this day and age. There was a time when sub-60fps had to be expected, because the technology just wasn't advanced enough. The majority of 3D games from Generation 5 or before were 30fps or less. It didn't stop them from being great games, but it was obvious that for games to be 3D, certain concessions had to be made because of the technology at the time. Sure, we were accustomed to 60fps scrolling in 2D games ever since the NES days, but 3D games required a lot more processing power and it just wasn't realistic to expect most 3D games to be 60fps. There were, of course, some notable exceptions like F-Zero X (N64). Nowadays, consoles are so much more powerful, I just don't see any reason to justify 30fps. Resolution is not the be all, end all. F-Zero GX (GCN), when played on an HD CRT in 480p, still looks great even today. One of the big reasons for that is that it is 60fps. There's nothing like buttery smooth racing at 1000+ km/h.

The difference between 30fps and 60fps is pretty big. This may, however, depend somewhat on the TV. With CRT, the benefit of 60fps was unmistakable. With 60fps, I feel a sort of connection to the game where the images on screen feel like they are actually moving. With 30fps, I feel slightly detached from the game and the sensation is lost. It is probably worth mentioning that I haven't felt that sensation when playing on an LCD. Plasma gets really close, though. I haven't played on OLED, so I can't comment on those. For a more recent example of this sensation, take Mario Kart 8 (WiiU). Single player is really smooth and the motion feels real, but 4-player split screen has a totally different feel to it. It's not just the reduced screen real estate that makes the difference. The game runs at a slower frame rate in 4-player split screen which has a big impact on how the game feels. It doesn't stop me from beating my friends, but I feel like I have to compensate for it a bit.

60 fps is beautiful.

Around the Network

I'd take 60fps every time! 30fps is tolerable, and many games are still very enjoyable in spite of that frame rate. But having gone back to some older games with a decent PC now and being able to play them at 60fps. It just completely transforms the experience for me.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

If the frame rate is stable the game will be much more enjoyable, be the game 30 or 60 fps devs should aim for a stable framerate.

I recently built my first gaming PC, can do 60FPS on any game. I cant go back to 30fps now and i was someone that use to say i wasnt too bothered about the difference.

One thing I give Nintendo serious props for this generation and last is that even though their consoles were a bit lightweight on the horsepower side of things, they still made a firm commitment to 60fps in most of their games.

curl-6 said:

One thing I give Nintendo serious props for this generation and last is that even though their consoles were a bit lightweight on the horsepower side of things, they still made a firm commitment to 60fps in most of their games.

This! So glad they took their example from the likes of SEGA and Namco (arcade heritage) for that, rather than the more graphics is more stance.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.