By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo NX Seems Like It's On Track For A Delay?

Tagged games:

Forbes report: Nintendo NX DELAY!

Just kill me already Nintendo. 41 27.52%

Oh! The pain! The pain!!! 20 13.42%

DonĀ“t care. 62 41.61%

I love waiting. 26 17.45%

Total:149

The move to 10nm mobile chips isn't happening this year. Sometime early next year, which can benefit a device like the NX greatly, greatlyA delay would also give Nintendo more time to prep their launch line up, which the device will live or die on, not the release date.

A delay isn't really bad news, you will probably get better hardware and software. I don't think a delay is happening though. I also agree that the article is ridiculous. Announcing hardware/software too early isn't the ideal to do "it" anymore, the game has changed, only the gaming industry is stuck in this backward trend, and if Nintendo intends to buck that trend, I am all for it.

Around the Network
UltimateGamer1982 said:
I never bought the march release date myself. The holiday season is the best time to launch. Although if they wait till next holiday season, they'll be going up against Microsoft's Scorpio launch, which could kill some of the hype and sales for nx.

Guess we'll find out soon hopefully.

Unless Microsoft changes their mind and Scorpio turns out to be a total generational shift, ala Xbox Two, I don't think it would even come close to overshadowing the NX. The NX is a brand new generational leap. New concept... new interface, new hardware, new controller, new games... it's going to be the biggest news in gaming by a long shot.

LurkerJ said:

The move to 10nm mobile chips isn't happening this year. Sometime early next year, which can benefit a device like the NX greatly, greatlyA delay would also give Nintendo more time to prep their launch line up, which the device will live or die on, not the release date.

A delay isn't really bad news, you will probably get better hardware and software. I don't think a delay is happening though. I also agree that the article is ridiculous. Announcing hardware/software too early isn't the ideal to do "it" anymore, the game has changed, only the gaming industry is stuck in this backward trend, and if Nintendo intends to buck that trend, I am all for it.

News is AMD was considering skipping 10nm and going straight to 7nm for their Navi architecture which wouldn't be due to 2018. Their next generation of GPU (Vega) is still going to be using 14nm.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/amd-zen-10nm-7nm-intel,news-53815.html

teigaga said:
LurkerJ said:

News is AMD was considering skipping 10nm and going straight to 7nm for their Navi architecture which wouldn't be due to 2018. Their next generation of GPU (Vega) is still going to be using 14nm.

So rumors are back to AMD now? Last I checked, rumors were heavily implying Nintendo was going with Nvidia. We can only wait, winter is coming. 

LurkerJ said:
teigaga said:

So rumors are back to AMD now? Last I checked, rumors were heavily implying Nintendo was going with Nvidia. We can only wait, winter is coming. 

I presumed you were talking about AMD but the same applies for Nvidia. There are no 10nm chips on anyones pipeline that would fit a device coming early 2017 but time will tell..

Around the Network

Remember that Nintendos current CEO Tatsumi Kimishima is only constitutionalized, until a 'real' CEO is chosen, to lead the direction. Until then Tatsumi will probably only utilize on the Iwata strategy laid down, years ago.

But yet again, we see Nintendo now completely softening their approach to mobile games, with pokemon go and super mario run.

My point is, the Nintendo we have known for years, is not the Nintendo we see today. They seem to approach things slightly differently. Which is why a reveal in october is plausible, because why not.

Also they seem to be extremely tight lipped about the NX, which is a better reason to withhold an official anoucement for just before launch.

Why not? Nintendo still don't know what the NX is gonna be: a console, a handheld, both or hybrid..

teigaga said:
LurkerJ said:

I presumed you were talking about AMD but the same applies for Nvidia. There are no 10nm chips on anyones pipeline that would fit a device coming early 2017 but time will tell..

Yes, that's why a delay is likely, not because Nintendo is being secretive like the article is suggeting, but because there is new technology that will available soon for mass production that will benefit Nintendo's vision greatly.

NX has to be perceived positively. 10nm chips will consume less power & keeping them actively cooled will be less of an issue. 

March is still six months away, Nintendo has plenty of time. The Xbox One was announced less than six months before its release, and it was the content of MS's message, rather than its timing, that hurt the system. Hell, even after the short announce time and a ton of backlash for their messaging, MS still had a great launch for the system, even if they couldn't possibly maintain that momentum. 

Plus, March would likely be fine for a release. I'll believe in the March date and a reveal within the next month until there is direct evidence otherwise. 

I am currently indifferent about the NX, don't care about the rumours of hardware or announcements, got more important things to deal with right now. Whenever Nintendo is ready to show it, I'll get the info then, still "six" months to go. Funnily enough, I did joke about a launch delay when Zelda NX was announced, Nintendelay could take both Zelda and NX to Xmas 2017 (together with QoL).

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"