By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon GO is now completely unplayable on jailbroken / outdated phones

While the Pokemon GO folowing has died down significantly, more problems are still popping up. It is no secret that Niantic has been cracking down on players using any external sources to play the game. Any major tracking software for the game is now gone and players will recieve bans for using any remaining ones. But now they are taking complete control over who plays their game.

The most recent update (1.7.0 for iOS and 0.37.0 for android) introduced a few new features including the buddy system, Pokemon Go Plus support, and on top of it all, you can now only play the game on approved devices. If your mobile device is jailbroken or rooted the app will not let you play the game. You will instead be given an error message saying "This device, OS, or software is not compatible with Pokemon GO." Through personal experience I can also confirm that if you are using the APK version on an older device that wouldnt allow you to download the game through the Google Play Store, it also will not work anymore.

There is a solution if you have this problem though. By using the APK links to download the previous version you should be able to play the game just fine with no downsides.

Around the Network

Well that sucks. By the sounds of everything, Niantic is a pretty bad company. I understand they have a problem they need to solve, but this isn't exactly a good way to solve that problem.

Waiting for the boycotts because DRM.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Watch how the player base drops 10million user :p

The crackdown is serious D:

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Yerm said:

While the Pokemon GO folowing has died down significantly, more problems are still popping up. It is no secret that Niantic has been cracking down on players using any external sources to play the game. Any major tracking software for the game is now gone and players will recieve bans for using any remaining ones. But now they are taking complete control over who plays their game.

The most recent update (1.7.0 for iOS and 0.37.0 for android) introduced a few new features including the buddy system, Pokemon Go Plus support, and on top of it all, you can now only play the game on approved devices. If your mobile device is jailbroken or rooted the app will not let you play the game. You will instead be given an error message saying "This device, OS, or software is not compatible with Pokemon GO." Through personal experience I can also confirm that if you are using the APK version on an older device that wouldnt allow you to download the game through the Google Play Store, it also will not work anymore.

There is a solution if you have this problem though. By using the APK links to download the previous version you should be able to play the game just fine with no downsides.

Still no way to track pokemon in game then, fantastic.

The current "sightings" feature is just there to annoy users with Pokemon they could be collecting if there was a tracking system in the game, completely pointless.

Niantic proving themselves to be a very poor choice for the Pokemon IP

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

lol what the actual fuck, opened my game to check if the buddy system was active... game activated a incense I had in my bagpack from leveling up, considering I don't have GPS in my building (and it's fucking midnight) that is a complete waste of a €1 item by the app just deciding... fuck I'll start this for you. What insanity this app really is.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I want the update :(
Thanks for giving heads up, that it is coming.

Does anyone know if it affects rooted Android phones as wrll?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

yes, it does, as reports say