By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - For those who dislike Naruto

hershel_layton said:
MDMAlliance said:
I don't necessarily dislike Naruto. There are plenty of good moments in the series, but it suffers from terrible pacing and being filled with cheesy fillers. It also drags on a bit too long as a whole.

The thing is, nowadays animes removed fillers(or made it <20% of the anime). People stopped complaining about that, but now people complain about long waits for new content.

Unfortunately it's either wait for canon or high quality content, or wait and get cheesy fillers while waiting.

As for pacing, I'd say the worst parts for pacing was the beginning of the chunin exam in Part 1 and when they see Sasuke for the first time in Part 2. They were so boring for me. I found the Ostrich Ninja to be more entertaining than both of the arcs(chunin exam only got good after the forest thing ended).

I've seen a lot of the series.  I think as it went on, it got worse with pacing as it keeps flashing back to scenes that either just happened, or happened years ago (real life time) that have been flashed back to dozens of times already.  One Piece is bad with pacing as well, taking a long time to show just a single event.  It's usually these really long-running anime that do it, and I suppose they do it so they can make episodes as long as they can while keeping the budget down.  I just don't like that.

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:
Chazore said:

Around Ep 362. I know how it all ends btw. I know how Diamond is unbreakable ends despite me still watching the anime, though that one doesn't really do arcs the way Bleach, One Piece and Naruto do, in a way that puts me off wanting to watch more as well as keeping me entertained.

I'm confused.

does the show you're talking about(Diamond is unbreakable) make you want to watch more, or does Bleach, One Piece and Naruto make you want to watch more?

I watched Bleach when I was very young(right when it came out), and I remember One Piece when I was a kid as well. For Bleach, I remember something about people being Shinigamis and badass fights. For One Piece, I recall being bored by it(except for the funny parts). Then again, that was back in, what, '06 I think. Hard to believe it was 10 years ago.

JoJo has kept me watching the series and reading the manga for years. Naruto kept me going for years as well but over time it just kept going back and forth with fillers and skipping back to the past parts, all those combiend just ended up taking more and more space to a point where I just stopped caring and it became a chore to wait weeks for the plot to get back on course. Bleach ended up doing the same and the show reached a point where it got pulled of the air.

One Piece I still tend to watch, but nowhere near as often as I did from years back. I remember being glued and kept in suspense from the Sabaody Archipelago all the way to Marineford arcs, though after that I ended up trying to keep with just the story while skipping the arcs that have little to no impact on the story itself, with naruto and Bleach they didn't really go with that route as often as OP has.

I still can't believe that we're down to two anime lasting as long as not 3.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

hershel_layton said:

People say the ending is bad, but they're vague. By the ending, do they mean the last 1/3? Or ending as in the last several chapters(or 20ish episodes in terms of anime)?

I dropped the manga around chapter 600, but was getting sick of it for a while before. I watched the anime up until the flashback with Nardo's mom, and just got bored since I was seeing the same content twice, and the anime-original content was consistently terrible.

I was actually a big fan for a long time, starting watching the anime back in 2004 or something. The underdog MC was appealing to me, and the core team of friends was fun to watch. The problem for me though, was that it seemed like the author lost focus over time. Instead of focusing on the core team, he introduced hordes of new characters...which isn't bad on its own...but with Naruto, it seemed like the entire cast became irrelevant with every new character that came up. Compare it with something like One Piece, where the author juggles hundreds of new characters, but always keeps the focus on the Strawhats, and you can see the problem I had.

And then, to make it worse, instead of focusing on Naruto being an underdog, the author took the easy way out and made him the prophecy child, that was just fated to be awesome...and then revealed that he was from a clan of Super Saiyans all along. It was stupid, I remember earlier in the series, one of the rival characters even gave a speech on how hard work could never best a powerful lineage...and yet later the author decides it makes sense to give the main character a powerful lineage anyway. It was nonsense...and just felt like stupidly lazy writing to me.

It wasn't until the Big Ol War arc that I couldn't turn a blind eye towards the plot holes and convenient exposition done just to advance to the next chapter. Characters would break rules established early in the series just to use a convenient move, or bring a dead character back for random exposition. Final straw for me was Neji's stupidly rushed death that was done with zero foreshadowing, just to give Hinata a good moment. To me, that pretty much defined the author's ability as a writer, and why I'll never touch anything else he decides to poop out in the future.

Of course, this is subjective...and I honestly don't begrudge anyone that doesn't care about these issues...but for me, it really soured my opinion on the franchise as a whole.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

MDMAlliance said:
hershel_layton said:

The thing is, nowadays animes removed fillers(or made it <20% of the anime). People stopped complaining about that, but now people complain about long waits for new content.

Unfortunately it's either wait for canon or high quality content, or wait and get cheesy fillers while waiting.

As for pacing, I'd say the worst parts for pacing was the beginning of the chunin exam in Part 1 and when they see Sasuke for the first time in Part 2. They were so boring for me. I found the Ostrich Ninja to be more entertaining than both of the arcs(chunin exam only got good after the forest thing ended).

I've seen a lot of the series.  I think as it went on, it got worse with pacing as it keeps flashing back to scenes that either just happened, or happened years ago (real life time) that have been flashed back to dozens of times already.  One Piece is bad with pacing as well, taking a long time to show just a single event.  It's usually these really long-running anime that do it, and I suppose they do it so they can make episodes as long as they can while keeping the budget down.  I just don't like that.

Fortunately, crunchyroll on mobile has no ads(well, rarely- sometimes a 10 second ad comes once, but that's 1/50 episodes). I usually just skip flashbacks. It was way worse for Part 1 imo. When it constantly showed a part from the chunin exam 103940294 times or Naruto saying I'm gay  "believe it" 1230939021 times, it got me irritated. I feel like Part 2 doesn't bring up flashbacks as much as part 2.

Also, I guess any long running show is bound to have flaws, right? I have to hand it to Kishimoto- he managed Naruto a lot better than many other long running shows/animes/whatever. western shows are most vulnerable to worsening considerably after running for a while. For example, my sister would sometimes watch ABC's "Once Upon A Time". I didn't like it, but it wasn't that bad. Managed to keep itself decent. However, after 2ish seasons, the show became utter trash. At least Kishimoto managed to make Naruto interesting for a while. Even if you dislike anything after the Akatsuki's disappearance, there's still a bunch of great things from Naruto- Zabuza arc, chunin Exam, Gara VS Lee, Invasion of Hidden Leaf, Saving Sasuke, Sound Ninja 4 vs Kiba, Choji, Shikamaru, and Neji, Naruto/One Tails vs Sasuke, meeting Jiraiya for the first time, introduction of Yamato/Sai, Sasori vs Granny Chiyo/Sakura, Kakuzu vs Hidden Leaf, Jiraiya vs Pain, and the list goes on.

I don't know anything after someone from team 9 dies(won't say in case anyone doesn't want a spoiler), but I must say that I'm satisfied with the series. People told me it's more disappointing than bad, and that I shouldn't expect its ending to be worse than Bleach. If that's the case, I'm fine.

Chazore said:
hershel_layton said:

I'm confused.

does the show you're talking about(Diamond is unbreakable) make you want to watch more, or does Bleach, One Piece and Naruto make you want to watch more?

I watched Bleach when I was very young(right when it came out), and I remember One Piece when I was a kid as well. For Bleach, I remember something about people being Shinigamis and badass fights. For One Piece, I recall being bored by it(except for the funny parts). Then again, that was back in, what, '06 I think. Hard to believe it was 10 years ago.

JoJo has kept me watching the series and reading the manga for years. Naruto kept me going for years as well but over time it just kept going back and forth with fillers and skipping back to the past parts, all those combiend just ended up taking more and more space to a point where I just stopped caring and it became a chore to wait weeks for the plot to get back on course. Bleach ended up doing the same and the show reached a point where it got pulled of the air.

One Piece I still tend to watch, but nowhere near as often as I did from years back. I remember being glued and kept in suspense from the Sabaody Archipelago all the way to Marineford arcs, though after that I ended up trying to keep with just the story while skipping the arcs that have little to no impact on the story itself, with naruto and Bleach they didn't really go with that route as often as OP has.

I still can't believe that we're down to two anime lasting as long as not 3.

Curious, but will you finish Naruto now, considering that the 1 hour finale is coming in less than 3 weeks?

Also, what does the last sentence mean? Did you make a typo or something?

Super_Boom said:
hershel_layton said:

People say the ending is bad, but they're vague. By the ending, do they mean the last 1/3? Or ending as in the last several chapters(or 20ish episodes in terms of anime)?

I dropped the manga around chapter 600, but was getting sick of it for a while before. I watched the anime up until the flashback with Nardo's mom, and just got bored since I was seeing the same content twice, and the anime-original content was consistently terrible.

I was actually a big fan for a long time, starting watching the anime back in 2004 or something. The underdog MC was appealing to me, and the core team of friends was fun to watch. The problem for me though, was that it seemed like the author lost focus over time. Instead of focusing on the core team, he introduced hordes of new characters...which isn't bad on its own...but with Naruto, it seemed like the entire cast became irrelevant with every new character that came up. Compare it with something like One Piece, where the author juggles hundreds of new characters, but always keeps the focus on the Strawhats, and you can see the problem I had.

And then, to make it worse, instead of focusing on Naruto being an underdog, the author took the easy way out and made him the prophecy child, that was just fated to be awesome...and then revealed that he was from a clan of Super Saiyans all along. It was stupid, I remember earlier in the series, one of the rival characters even gave a speech on how hard work could never best a powerful lineage...and yet later the author decides it makes sense to give the main character a powerful lineage anyway. It was nonsense...and just felt like stupidly lazy writing to me.

It wasn't until the Big Ol War arc that I couldn't turn a blind eye towards the plot holes and convenient exposition done just to advance to the next chapter. Characters would break rules established early in the series just to use a convenient move, or bring a dead character back for random exposition. Final straw for me was Neji's stupidly rushed death that was done with zero foreshadowing, just to give Hinata a good moment. To me, that pretty much defined the author's ability as a writer, and why I'll never touch anything else he decides to poop out in the future.

Of course, this is subjective...and I honestly don't begrudge anyone that doesn't care about these issues...but for me, it really soured my opinion on the franchise as a whole.

bold 1: Wasn't Naruto always strong though? He was only an underdog because his chakra control was utter garbage. Without Jiraiya, Yamato, and others, he would have been pretty weak. 

bold 2: Do you mean characters like Sasuke's team? I think I slightly understand you...Then again, secondary characters are everywhere. I suppose it's to prevent people from saying things like, "oh look only the genin from naruto's class is actually strong; stupid kishimoto making Mary Sue's".

bold 3: But doesn't the author focus on certain characters per arc? Every arc has around 5-10(at most) characters hugely involved.

bold 4: Well, not like Naruto didn't train. 

bold 5: I found his death BS as well. If anything, Hinata should've died. However, I think it's unfair to see that one moment defines Kishimoto's writings as a whole. what I want to know is if you enjoyed Naruto/Shippuden before the war arc.

Anyways, I can see where you all find flaws. I'm not a die-hard fan. Keep in mind that(besides from my childhood), the most recent anime I watched was death Note during October 2014. Before that I thought that most mangas/animes were trash and simply focused on guns and big tits(after watching and reading Death Note/With the light, I realized I was very wrong. Both of them had such emotional moments).

Naruto is the fourth anime I've watched since Death Note. I like it quite a bit, but you probably see flaws I don't if you've watched countless of other animes. Regardless of whether I end up still enjoy the war arc(and after), I'm still satisfied with everything before that Kishimoto has done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:

Curious, but will you finish Naruto now, considering that the 1 hour finale is coming in less than 3 weeks?

Not likely. I just tried to watch Boruto the movie and I couldn't go longer than 20 mins. I'm just burnt out on Naruto after all the years I guess.

Last one was a typo. What I meant to say was "I'm surprised we're down to two anime lasting very long rather than a top 3". For years we've had multiple long running anime that made it in the top spots for years, this time we're down to two that have been going on for a long time but also kept the top spots. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
hershel_layton said:

Not likely. I just tried to watch Boruto the movie and I couldn't go longer than 20 mins. I'm just burnt out on Naruto after all the years I guess.

Last one was a typo. What I meant to say was "I'm surprised we're down to two anime lasting very long rather than a top 3". For years we've had multiple long running anime that made it in the top spots for years, this time we're down to two that have been going on for a long time but also kept the top spots. 

I'm 99% sure I'm gonna skip out on boruto. I like Minato and Naruto a lot, but I'm pretty sure boruto is probably gonna be boring or exactly like naruto or his father.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

hershel_layton said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Naruto's soundtrack is pretty decent but there are anime out there with much better ones.

My sister said Full Metal had an unbelievable soundtrack. Do you know any other unbelievable soundtracks?

FMA is pretty good too but the ones I can remember right now are:

When Naruto is good, it is among the best anime made.

Unfortunately it's so bloated with filler, I really find it hard to recommend to anyone. Especially the trend lately, to lead up to a big event and end the episode on a cliffhanger, only to quickly backpedal for 10+ episodes of flashbacks.

It's okay, but I was spoiled by Saint Seiya, Captain Tsubasa and other anime OSTs when I was a kid.

The filler episodes killed the Anime for me.
I tried following the manga, but after a point the storylines and storytelling just got silly.

Man I loved this series when it first started as a anime... too bad they ruined it.