By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4Pro was made to compete with PC - Sony Exec.

Tagged games:

Azuren said:
Birimbau said:

Still stuck in 30FPS due to 4K. they should have focused on 1080P-60FPS.

Console gamers don't really care about hitting FPS over 30.

Console gamers? Or single player gamers?

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
Problem is PCs are modular and a modular console would be a mess. Also, this thing will be outclassed by $500 machines in a year tops. Good effort and price for performance is pretty good for the PS4Pro right now.

If the PS5 releases in 3 years with full PS4 BC (this was the reason for going x86 right?) and the PS5Pro 3 years later and so on, I could see them keeping up with mid-tier PCs well enough to entice some PC gamers. I hope they never chase after the high-end and enthusiast crowd because we would just see costs skyrocket. They need to stay mass-market and focus on differentiating themselves via exclusives.

Is that really a positive point towards pc? Its still more expensive and will have to wait a whole year.

I think there is a part of pc gamers that are into it because of what it can offer and what price. What we saw from last gen cuz it laste so long was that by the 5th and 6th year into the gen, prey much any pc could beat a console for a good price. with no end in sight for the gen. this time consoles had a mid gen refresh right when the new cards are out and the originals where about to get outclased pretty cheaply. If they can last another 3-4 years for $400 than thats good for almost 4k. considering that most gamers still play on 1080p on pc's. and yes, many cry about 60fps, but that is in no way the standart and the majority of gamers seem to be fine with it and crave pixel count over framerate, unless of course we are talking about dips in the low 20' or high teens.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Goatseye said:
Azuren said:

Console gamers don't really care about hitting FPS over 30.

I suppose I should add "most", but yeah, "most console gamers" don't care about FPS. If they did, there would be more PC gamers and less console gamers.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
Goatseye said:

I suppose I should add "most", but yeah, "most console gamers" don't care about FPS. If they did, there would be more PC gamers and less console gamers.

Most console gamers play shooting games at 60fps. They might not know the technical details but they know that COD plays smooth as hell.

Fighting games are mostly 60fps. Racing sims are mostly 60fps. 

Those games and genres are required to have at least 60fps to be successful anywhere.

Goatseye said:
Azuren said:

Most console gamers play shooting games at 60fps. They might not know the technical details but they know that COD plays smooth as hell.

Those games and genres are required to have at least 60fps to be successful anywhere.

the games that require 60fps deliver 60fps(for the most part). So its not that consoles cant handle it, its that devs prioritze visuals over framerate. and for the majority of gamers, its exactly what they ask for.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
Azuren said:

I'm not saying it isn't there or that they don't appreciate it.

I'm saying they don't care if it has it or not.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

BasilZero said:
ICStats said:

Anything like "Yah, it's never gonna compete with PC every year" is a strawman.

It quite clearly spells out that their data shows a dip in sales mid-generation, i.e. folks who start to want to move from 3 year old console level graphics, which PS4 Pro is targeting.

If you look at Steam's data on PC GPUs, PS4 pro will have more TFLOPs than 90% of active PC GPUs.  When you factor in effective performance from console only optimizations, it's going to be better than >95% of PC GPUs today.

I wasnt throwing a strawman - if the available technology is there- why not go for broke? Which I will be doing when the next version of GPU comes out. Cant wait for 2017 when I build my new PC :)!

Sure thing, enjoy.  That's not an argument for what everyone will do.

There's a breakdown above, of the PC Gamer market:

Enthusiast 16.4 Million (3%)
Performance 60 Million (11%)
Mainstream 481 Million (86%)

You might be among the 3% or 11% in terms of how up to date you like to be with the latest GPUs.

My 8th gen collection

ICStats said:

There's a breakdown above, of the PC Gamer market:

Enthusiast 16.4 Million (3%)
Performance 60 Million (11%)
Mainstream 481 Million (86%)

You might be among the 3% or 11% in terms of how up to date you like to be with the latest GPUs.

Just for clarification... these are the definitions of Jon Peddie Research:

"In our analysis we use Enthusiast AIB’s as the cornerstone but also account for Enthusiast systems as a pricing segment with averages of $2,199 for desktops and $1,977 for notebooks. The minimum ASP to be included in the Enthusiast class is $1800 and this includes a display factor adjusted for gaming motivation and purchasing frequency."

"In our analysis we use Performance AIB’s as the cornerstone but also account for Performance systems as a pricing segment with averages of $1,551 for desktops and $1,348 for notebooks. The minimum ASP to be included in the Performance class is $1000 and this includes a display factor adjusted for gaming motivation and purchasing frequency."

So 76 million gaming PCs with a minimum price of $1000 / average price of over $1500 (display included)... not too shabby.

http://jonpeddie.com/publications/pc_gaming_hardware_market_report

Kirin_gaming said:

I think you are a little bit confused here, the Pro doesn't beat a 970 here's why.

The Pro doesn't play games at 4K, it renders them at 1440p or 1600p at most and at medium-high settings 30fps.The console upscales games to 4K but it doesn't actually play them at 4K, just like the XB1S doesn't play at 4k when it upscales 900p games for that resolution.

I think(if my calculations are not mistaken) the 970 should be able to handle 1440p gameplay at medium-high settings at 60fps or at least close to it.I say this because I did some tests yesterday(please check link) before the Pro was announced and was really surprised by how taxing Ultra settings actually are.I didn't specify this in the linked comment but my average performance with only one GPU on GTAV maxed out is around 42fps while with medium-high settings it was 65fps and in TW3 maxed out my average performance is less than 30fps with hairworks on, but with medium-high settings and hairworks it was close to 40fps average.

This is not to say though that the Pro is a bad machine, it actually(just like when the PS4 just released)is the best bang for the buck when it comes to gaming, and I am really exited for it.

I think your calculations are mistaken. I have this GPU. OC version, so circa 980. 1440p really hits it hard. 1600p is a no go. The Pro also isn't rendering at 1440, checkerboard 4K has much more pixels than that, so it really is doing a pretty good job.

Conina said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
All this "but mods" rhetoric is annoying. Id bet hard cash that 95% of steams user-base doesn't give a damn about them. Sometimes posters on the internet seem to forget just how niche their demographic is. Get back to Earth people.

"Reducing PC advantages to mod support" rhetorics aren't less annoying either.

If you think the kind of people who would never buy a PC anyway would hold back on the Pro because of "Mods" then you are deluded. HDR and affordable 4K is more than enough for the vast majority of gamers and casual consumers. For Christs sake most PC gamers dont even game at 2k let alone 4k.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine