By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Would it make sense for Sony to add an UHD drive in 12 months?

Someone mentioned Apple, which brought me back to 2007 when they flatly declared they would not support BD nor make them an option in Macs, which I wanted at the time in my next MBP.

Turns out they weren't far off the mark, but it just seems quite surreal that Sony, the company that more or less led the consortium that pushed BD as the default HD optical media format has essentially declared 4K BD a dead end.

Around the Network

I could see Sony caving in and adding it eventually if the Xbox really starts gaining significantly from having it.

It's still fucking stupid though for Sony not to include it in the first place though. "Here's our upgraded console for the Playstation fans who want 4K..... that doesn't play 4K Blu-Rays". Even if it's a feature that some of you seem to think nobody will use a lot or be a selling point, the fact that apparently it's so cheap to add in it just makes no sense, plus it would always be nice to have just for the future because maybe now someone won't think they'll use it but now but they could change their mind in the future.

And honestly I think Sony making a revision of the PS4 Pro right before the Scorpio comes out just so they can add in 4K UHD would just look really stupid on their part. So there would now be 4 PS4 variants, a PS4 regular and PS4 Slim, then a PS4 Pro and PS4 Pro Slim? Sounds just like an iPhone with the 6, 6 Plus, 6S, and 6S Plus. Just for a feature they could have easily added from the beginning.

FloatingWaffles said:

I could see Sony caving in and adding it eventually if the Xbox really starts gaining significantly from having it.

It's still fucking stupid though for Sony not to include it in the first place though. "Here's our upgraded console for the Playstation fans who want 4K..... that doesn't play 4K Blu-Rays". Even if it's a feature that some of you seem to think nobody will use a lot or be a selling point, the fact that apparently it's so cheap to add in it just makes no sense, plus it would always be nice to have just for the future because maybe now someone won't think they'll use it but now but they could change their mind in the future.

And honestly I think Sony making a revision of the PS4 Pro right before the Scorpio comes out just so they can add in 4K UHD would just look really stupid on their part. So there would now be 4 PS4 variants, a PS4 regular and PS4 Slim, then a PS4 Pro and PS4 Pro Slim? Sounds just like an iPhone with the 6, 6 Plus, 6S, and 6S Plus. Just for a feature they could have easily added from the beginning.

Yeah but all variants wouldn't be on sale simultaneously.  Like they'd only sell the new Pro and the slim.  2 sku's on sale at once. 

FloatingWaffles said:

What would happen is that Sony would still offer 2 models, but with the UHD player upgrade as an added feature at the same (reduced actually) price. The existing PS4 P would be replaced, and I'd assume the PS4 S wouldn't get the UHD player upgrade. 

Kerotan said:

Yeah but all variants wouldn't be on sale simultaneously.  Like they'd only sell the new Pro and the slim.  2 sku's on sale at once. 

greenmedic88 said:

What would happen is that Sony would still offer 2 models, but with the UHD player upgrade as an added feature at the same (reduced actually) price. The existing PS4 P would be replaced, and I'd assume the PS4 S wouldn't get the UHD player upgrade. 

Ok, well that makes more sense. But it still just seems completely pointless for a revision of the PS4 Pro for 4K UHD when it's a feature that they could have had right from the beginning, especially when it's apparently cheap to add in as well. 

I understand maybe they didn't include it becasue they wanted to hit that $399 price, but I feel like even if they had to bring up the price just to have it included that would have been fine since they said PS4 Pro is a product for the people that want that extra power so I don't think those people would have minded paying more for a 4K UHD to be included. 

I don't see the average consumer that doesn't pay attention to gaming and stuff on the internet carying about the PS4 Pro anyway. They would just see 2 models, probably ask someone working there about them, find out that they play the exact same games and that one of them is $100 cheaper than the other? Sold for the PS4 Slim. So I feel like if Sony had to bring up the price to include it they should have done that since this will only be for the people that truly pay attention to power and stuff like that anyway. 

Around the Network

Wow!! suddenly as if everybody have a UHD TV's 

perhaps i'm outdated because 4k gaming or movies really don't attract me like SD to HD...

It wouldnt matter. It would just come off as a nice little new addition. Kimda how the 360 didnt launch with a HDMI port and then it mysteriously started appearing in some models aroumd when the PS3 launched.

However, I feel Sony won't even bother. And rather than add a BR drive in the system, they just drop the price of the Neo.

Hell if I were them I would make an external 4K BR drive reader that plugs into the PS4pro via USB. They can easily sell something like that for $100.

Kerotan said:

So let's say xbox scorpio releases next October or November.  It's coming with a UHD drive and a small number of consumers have decided to get the scorpio over the neo because of that.  Despite the scorpio being a lot more expensive. 

So would it make sense for Sony to replace the Pro with a revision and release it a month before. The only change would be replacing the blu ray drive with a UHD drive.  

Currently that would cost them about $15-20 per console.  But tech like this drops in price fast.  For all we know it might only cost $5 extra by then.  So they add it in and sell the new improved neo before the scorpio releases.  At $100-200 cheaper too. 

Would this be a good move?  I know only a few consumers care but it could steal one of the Scorpios main selling points.  

Discuss! 

1. We don't know Scorpio's price. Its not crazy to presume it will be $399.

2. There would be a massive amount of backlash if Sony released a new PS4 with a UHD drive. They need to wait a few years and maybe put it in a PS4 Pro Slim.

3. UHD isn't just a Scorpio selling point, X1 S already has UHD support. Frankly, Sony made a bad call. Both the PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro should have UHD support.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

DaveTheMinion13 said:
There's tons more content digitally, and Sony has their own 4K service which will most likely be on Pro. Why even add UHD drive for what is it now.....45-47 movies? Which only 1-2 were native 4K....with the rest being remastered in 4K

If PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro supported 4K Blurays, perhaps there would be more demand.

I get your point, but Sony also makes over priced 4K Bluray players. Why not put UHD support in the PS4 to create demand for more physical movies?

It just seems really odd the X1 S has UHD support at $299, while both PS4 Slim and Pro lack it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Bet it will happen and it will screw over PS4 Pro early adopters.

Because you can bet MS is going to be crowing from every rooftop that they have the only real 4K machine with both 4K games native and 4K movie playback with Scorpio ... you know they are going to push that angle hard.

Sony is likely going to be forced to add it. But that's also why I'm very nervous about buying a PS4 Pro, I could get screwed on that.