By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When did you EVER buy a 4K Blu-ray Film?

What would you rather have?

4K blu-ray player and 499$ pricetag 79 31.98%

399$ pricetag and no 4K blu-ray player 168 68.02%

Total:247

I think no one is going to miss this functionality at the end. Sony was smart not to include it in the final product.

The $399 price point and the one year lead over the Xbox Scorpio are major advantages in the console war.

Around the Network

I got a Xbox one S just for the 4K player. I needed it for my 4K tv. I currently have four 4K movies. And all look amazing. The revenant is a site to behold on my 55 inch 4K Samsung.

I don't have a 4K TV or any 4K blu - ray player. The price point for the whole package is still to high for me personally.

But when I do go 4K, I'd rather not have to cripple my internet speed trying stream 4K. And just as with games, I like physical discs because I tend to get a better price point than digitial.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

4K movies are $20 so I don't see why Sony couldn't put it in. Also it seems since the PS4 launch Sony has lost their innovation. PS4 slim is ugly and Pro is two Slims glued together. You're better off buying a regular PS4 while its still in stores and building a $500 PC which will be better than a PS4 Pro.

Are the same people, who praised Sony for bringing HDR to all PS4s, now praising Sony for not including a 4K BluRay player in their PS4 top model?

Around the Network

It should have a 4k drive and be $399.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

we can see how many really want it by the xboxers ,apparently it will win gen 8 now via scorpio/s sales in the future

never bought a 4k blu-ray,gave up buying new blu rays a while ago,i buy the odd second hand one if it is dirt cheap,just stream movie now via netflix,amazon or sky now

i guess if i bought a £1500 big 4k tv i might by a couple of 4k blu-ray films to see the magic

Above & Beyond

Soundwave said:
vivster said:
I guess all the people with their expensive 4k HDR TVs are really upset that they can't have a cheap 4k Bluray player in a cheap console. How will they ever be able to get one of those mystical playback devices if they aren't attached to a console?

There is a cheap Blu-Ray 4K player ... it's called an XBox One S. Which is something I'm basically being forced into buying now. There's no better player for the price.

So if Sony's goal was to sell more XBox One's ... great job.

why don't you buy an xbox-s then it is a good machine over here at £249 even cheaper foir you,

or will you wait for the scorpio next year or whenever it is coming out(does anyone know the date) or will you buy a dedicated 4k player i bet there are some superb ones

you have plenty of options why bitch about the pspro 

Above & Beyond

Tmfwang said:

Then why are 4K blu-ray players so damn expensive?

If I had to guess, I'd say BD players try to use the cheapest possible hardware, and regular ones lack the processing power needed by 4k. Thus 4k BD players also need a hardware upgrade for other compoments, which in turn leads to a higher price. Or not, because I imagine the extra processing power might not be that expensive. The alternative answer is the one you already got from someone else: It's an easy way to make money. 4k support sounds so awesome that they can get away with charging a lot more for it.

Last time I bought a physical movie: 2004.