By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When did you EVER buy a 4K Blu-ray Film?

What would you rather have?

4K blu-ray player and 499$ pricetag 79 31.98%

399$ pricetag and no 4K blu-ray player 168 68.02%

Total:247
kitler53 said:

physical is dead to me.

Same.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:

i have:

almost 400 dvds
just over 20 blu rays
will never own a UHD disc.

physical is dead to me.  for years now people have been harping on 1080p not really mattering because 720p (or 900p when ) is really just good enough.  now ps4 pro doesn't support UHD and it's the end of the fucking world. 

i've seen and even posted this chart hundreds of times on this forum but as of yesterday the science of vision clearly took a turn for the more advanced when we all learned ps4 pro lives in the dark ages...

Let me play Devil's Advocate and say that "Optimal" =/= perception/preference.  My 60" 1080p TV is actually more enoyable to watch at 14 ft than 9.5 ft.  And what fool is going to be sitting just a mere 4 ft from a 50" Ultra HD TV?  

Tmfwang said:

I dont get all the dissapointment from alot of you guys, physical films are dying... I havent bought a regular blu-ray film in years, and I hardly see any 4K blu-ray movies for sale. Streaming movies is the future, Netflix 4K first, and other who still havent upgraded will follow soon, and Sony knows it. 

What a shameless reaction thread. 4K bluray hasn't existed even for 6 months and you're polling a videogame forum full of minors who still live with their parents whether they EVER purchased a 4K bluray film as if it has been years since it released, hilarious.

There is a huge crowd of tech enthusiasts, these people carried the ps2 and ps3 at launch and many people are disappointed PS4P does not have 4K bluray, u might not see them much here but over on AV forums it's different.

Totally agree with you.

I have not purchased a 4K-UHD Blu-Ray disc..yet.
As an Audio and Video Enthusiast I will be getting a 4K TV once HDR standards set in stone. At the same time I will buy a receiver to capable of Dobly Atmos and DTS:X.
I have already pre-ordered my PS4 Pro so if it does not have 4K-UHD Blu-Ray support by then I will be forced to purchase a separate unit to replace my existing BD-Disc player. Then once I have all that I will by buying 4K movies, but only those that have an original 4K source.

I have already spent a large amount of money on my TV and spent a great deal of time calibrating it to get the most out of HD. The picture quality of my TV is better than the cheaper floor model 4K TV's that are at Best Buy. I have seen 4K streaming and it looks terrible compared to any real 4K source. Not to mention with streaming 4K you are limited to Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

To further explain my prefrences, even now, I will not purchase a Digital copy a console game because the audio quality is usually limited on digital downloads. The audio is usually only Dolby Digital with Digital downloads whereas the physical copy of the game will have Dolby HD and/or DTS-HD. On a good audio system this makes a massive difference in immersion.

I currently own over 100 Blu-Ray discs with many of them being 3-D. Even if a film is available on Netflix with HD or even 4K streaming I would watch my BD copy since the audio and visual quality will be that much better.

Edit: So to answer hte question, I would pay an extra $100 for 4K-UHD BD capabilites because it does matter, at least to me and other enthusiasts like myself.

Around the Network
alternine said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Some people who spend a lot of money on a 4K set want the best picture possible. Crazy, I know. I mean, it's almost as if MicroSony are marketing these new consoles around 4K media or something.

As someone else said, streaming is not great for 4K content. It's a joke to have a system designed with 4K in mind yet it cannot play 4K discs. And even funnier is watching people not only accept that feature lacking, but literally celebrating it. And a lot of these people are the same that told us 1080p vs 900p is a huge gap and makes their eyes bleed and how could any gamer possibly subject themselves to such visual torture and yet now we're hearing "LOL ill just stream off netflix!!" lol, hilarious.

Protip: these consoles have been being designed to be your standalone entertainment device for almost 20 years. And Sony has literally been at the forefront of that, with CD, DVD, and BluRay. And many here have championed them for that, and rightfully so. Maybe don't shit on people disappointed by this or make silly remarks about ulterior motives? It's really not hard if you put down your console warz weapons and just think about it :)

Like many have said not including it keeps the price down. Not surprised you "ignored" that though.

And that's weak reasoning because this is supposed to be an enthusiast focused device. And in case you missed the event the other day, they spent plenty of time on things other than games, so let me save someone the trouble of replying "bububu the games!!!!!".

Secondly Microsoft has already shown you can include one and still keep costs down. Less than $16 for their UHD player, IIRC? And people are replying with "they'll sell 20 million anyway!". LOL

Lastly, I'm a consumer. I have no fucks to give about their costs.  I want a product worth my money. I'll stick to my PS4. Edit, to be fair though, given how weak the upgrade is, even if it launched with a UHD player I'd wait for price drops to buy.

Your poll options are BS considering M$ managed to fit a UHD in the XBone S without raising the price.

No way this poll makes sense btw, a UHD player over a BR player can never cost $100 lol

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Yeah I didn't even read the poll because they are pointless here given the demographic, but LOL @ needing another $100 to include a UHD drive. They literally could have kept it the same price.

Something weird is going on. They're either trying to push their own service, or will switch it on somehow via firmware.

I still buy blu-rays. I like to have a physical copy for my favorites. Even though I have a swank 4k tv.....I have never used it for 4k content, which obviously means no 4k blu-rays. Would have preferred the Pro had the ability to playbabk 4k blu-rays, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm all over the place. :)

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."