By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When did you EVER buy a 4K Blu-ray Film?

What would you rather have?

4K blu-ray player and 499$ pricetag 79 31.98%

399$ pricetag and no 4K blu-ray player 168 68.02%

Total:247

Some people who spend a lot of money on a 4K set want the best picture possible. Crazy, I know. I mean, it's almost as if MicroSony are marketing these new consoles around 4K media or something.

As someone else said, streaming is not great for 4K content. It's a joke to have a system designed with 4K in mind yet it cannot play 4K discs. And even funnier is watching people not only accept that feature lacking, but literally celebrating it. And a lot of these people are the same that told us 1080p vs 900p is a huge gap and makes their eyes bleed and how could any gamer possibly subject themselves to such visual torture and yet now we're hearing "LOL ill just stream off netflix!!" lol, hilarious.

Protip: these consoles have been being designed to be your standalone entertainment device for almost 20 years. And Sony has literally been at the forefront of that, with CD, DVD, and BluRay. And many here have championed them for that, and rightfully so. Maybe don't shit on people disappointed by this or make silly remarks about ulterior motives? It's really not hard if you put down your console warz weapons and just think about it :)

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Soundwave said:

Because it's the typical price gouging electronics manufacturers always make consumers go through (ie: DVD was $1000 at launch, Blu-Ray was $600+, etc.).

The drive itself is only like $15 bucks more. Ask yourself how Microsoft is able to put it in the XBox One S with basically no price increase. It's because the drive doesn't cost much. 

So basically they'll be really cheap in a year.  So when people say the scorpio will save them spending $300 on a standalone player it's a ridiculous statement.  

Yeah I kinda would like to watch 4K content now though if I have a 4KTV now. Not sitting around for a year and watching 1080p or shitty stream content for a year and trying to imagine how good it would look like in actual 4K with a good bit rate. 

And even "cheap in a year" still means probably like $200+ for a decent player. 

The XBox One S is the best 4K Blu-Ray player for the price, which is kind of lame. It means if you have a 4KTV and you want to watch 4K movies on your TV, really your best option is to buy an XBox One now as well, on top of getting a PS4/Neo. 

Personally I don't care. If it means making the console cheaper then it's a win. I buy a console to play games and as a easier Netflix streaming device (most tv apps are slow). I practice I follow and have since the PS2 was halfway through it's life, I just buy an actual DVD/Blu-Ray player. I watch a lot of movies and I would rather take that work load off the console. If I ended up buying a Scorpio, it probably would end up as a movie player just like my XB1 did before I got rid of it. By the time I get a 4K TV, probably a year away the players will be cheaper. Some people like to complain though, so let them I suppose :-p

I guess all the people with their expensive 4k HDR TVs are really upset that they can't have a cheap 4k Bluray player in a cheap console. How will they ever be able to get one of those mystical playback devices if they aren't attached to a console?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Tmfwang said:
VGPolyglot said:

You're delighted? I don't understand why you'd feel that way. I can understand being indifferent, but actually be very happy that it doesn't include it is weird.

No, why pay for a feature you wont use?

We already do that for consoles, as they are not as customizable as PCs, it is expected that there are certain things that one may not use. For example, there are those who do not use discs at all, there are those who only use one USB port and there are those who do not use optical out. Consoles are meant to be a simple one size-fits all package.

Around the Network

I would have loved a UHD player, it would have been worth the upgrade for me, now as it is the PS4 Pro is not for me, but I still love my PS4, so no big deal :)

Twitter @CyberMalistix

vivster said:
I guess all the people with their expensive 4k HDR TVs are really upset that they can't have a cheap 4k Bluray player in a cheap console. How will they ever be able to get one of those mystical playback devices if they aren't attached to a console?

There is a cheap Blu-Ray 4K player ... it's called an XBox One S. Which is something I'm basically being forced into buying now. There's no better player for the price.

So if Sony's goal was to sell more XBox One's ... great job.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Some people who spend a lot of money on a 4K set want the best picture possible. Crazy, I know. I mean, it's almost as if MicroSony are marketing these new consoles around 4K media or something.

As someone else said, streaming is not great for 4K content. It's a joke to have a system designed with 4K in mind yet it cannot play 4K discs. And even funnier is watching people not only accept that feature lacking, but literally celebrating it. And a lot of these people are the same that told us 1080p vs 900p is a huge gap and makes their eyes bleed and how could any gamer possibly subject themselves to such visual torture and yet now we're hearing "LOL ill just stream off netflix!!" lol, hilarious.

Protip: these consoles have been being designed to be your standalone entertainment device for almost 20 years. And Sony has literally been at the forefront of that, with CD, DVD, and BluRay. And many here have championed them for that, and rightfully so. Maybe don't shit on people disappointed by this or make silly remarks about ulterior motives? It's really not hard if you put down your console warz weapons and just think about it :)

Like many have said not including it keeps the price down. Not surprised you "ignored" that though.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Soundwave said:

Here's a dirty little secret -- streamed movies are considerably lower image quality than disc titles.

So what's the point of having a 4KTV if the movies you're watching basically are really just like a 1080P transfer because the bit rate simply isn't good enough.

That's the issue. If I buy a 4KTV it's not fucking crazy to want actual 4K content to view on it, otherwise you may as well just stick with a HDTV set.

Also your poll is out of whack, a 4K BR player only costs about $15 more than a regular Blu-Ray player to mass produce. 

If it cost $100 more there's no chance in hell it would be in the cheap XBox One S. 

TBH almost all films aren't filmed anywhere close to 4K, so the biggest issue of 4K remains: lack of content.

torok said:
Soundwave said:

Here's a dirty little secret -- streamed movies are considerably lower image quality than disc titles.

So what's the point of having a 4KTV if the movies you're watching basically are really just like a 1080P transfer because the bit rate simply isn't good enough.

That's the issue. If I buy a 4KTV it's not fucking crazy to want actual 4K content to view on it, otherwise you may as well just stick with a HDTV set.

Also your poll is out of whack, a 4K BR player only costs about $15 more than a regular Blu-Ray player to mass produce. 

If it cost $100 more there's no chance in hell it would be in the cheap XBox One S. 

TBH almost all films aren't filmed anywhere close to 4K, so the biggest issue of 4K remains: lack of content.

Again this old wive's tale. 35mm film resolves at HIGHER than 4K actually. That means even "old" movies shot in the 50s/60s/70s are "higher resolution" than even 4K. That's never been the issue.