By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When did you EVER buy a 4K Blu-ray Film?

What would you rather have?

4K blu-ray player and 499$ pricetag 79 31.98%

399$ pricetag and no 4K blu-ray player 168 68.02%

Total:247
Tmfwang said:
Soundwave said:

Here's a dirty little secret -- streamed movies are considerably lower image quality than disc titles.

So what's the point of having a 4KTV if the movies you're watching basically are really just like a 1080P transfer because the bit rate simply isn't good enough.

That's the issue. If I buy a 4KTV it's not fucking crazy to want actual 4K content to view on it, otherwise you may as well just stick with a HDTV set.

Also your poll is out of whack, a 4K BR player only costs about $15 more than a regular Blu-Ray player to mass produce. 

If it cost $100 more there's no chance in hell it would be in the cheap XBox One S. 

Then why are 4K blu-ray players so damn expensive?

Because it's the typical price gouging electronics manufacturers always make consumers go through (ie: DVD was $1000 at launch, Blu-Ray was $600+, etc.).

The drive itself is only like $15 bucks more. Ask yourself how Microsoft is able to put it in the XBox One S with basically no price increase. It's because the drive doesn't cost much. 

Around the Network

The people that complain that actually intend to buy or those that already have 4k disks have a legit reason to complain.
I buy blu ray disks every few months and if i had a 4K tv i would buy 4K blu rays.

bought a bluray movie was in 2008. Or was it 2007.

I've seen 1080p streaming. And ive seen 4k streaming. 4k streaming is good enough for me. But thats just me. Kudos to those that want to or are going to buy 4k bluray movies.

Bandorr said:

It is quite amusing.
You don't hear a peep about 4k physical blu-ray playing.

Then suddenly apparently everyone is missing it. It is almost as if people are looking for a reason to complain..

I like to think the monologue going on in their heads is
"It is a cheap console I can play my games on? Great. And stream 4k netflix? Good. Wait wait it can't play 4k physical movies? I'm OUT. I am selling all my Sony consoles, games and accessories and buying a movie player instead.."

Yup, I actually saw a comment on Facebook on the official PS page, saying something about that he wont buy a PS4 now, as a 4K blu-ray player was the ONLY reason he would buy a PS4...

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Beyond streaming I like to have the choice to watch the damn movie that I want, including new releases ... not being stuck to Netflix's selection, which constantly also has some movie titles being removed.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Beyond streaming I like to have the choice to watch the damn movie that I want, including new releases ... not being stuck to Netflix's selection, which constantly also has some movie titles being removed.

Video on demand for that :)

Kerotan said:
I own about 10 blu rays. Haven't bought one in at least 4 years. I will never buy a 4k blu ray. I stream my films and TV series now.

I'm delighted they didn't put it in. Why waste time pushing a medium that will never take off when it adds extra cost. The ps pro can still play regular blu rays and a 4k TV can upscale it with impressive results. That's more than enough. But even still can't see myself ever buying a regular blu ray again.

You're delighted? I don't understand why you'd feel that way. I can understand being indifferent, but actually be very happy that it doesn't include it is weird.

VGPolyglot said:
Kerotan said:
I own about 10 blu rays. Haven't bought one in at least 4 years. I will never buy a 4k blu ray. I stream my films and TV series now.

I'm delighted they didn't put it in. Why waste time pushing a medium that will never take off when it adds extra cost. The ps pro can still play regular blu rays and a 4k TV can upscale it with impressive results. That's more than enough. But even still can't see myself ever buying a regular blu ray again.

You're delighted? I don't understand why you'd feel that way. I can understand being indifferent, but actually be very happy that it doesn't include it is weird.

No, why pay for a feature you wont use?

Soundwave said:
Tmfwang said:

Then why are 4K blu-ray players so damn expensive?

Because it's the typical price gouging electronics manufacturers always make consumers go through (ie: DVD was $1000 at launch, Blu-Ray was $600+, etc.).

The drive itself is only like $15 bucks more. Ask yourself how Microsoft is able to put it in the XBox One S with basically no price increase. It's because the drive doesn't cost much. 

So basically they'll be really cheap in a year.  So when people say the scorpio will save them spending $300 on a standalone player it's a ridiculous statement.  

Did everyone forget that Plex is on PS4? And Plex supports 4K streaming...