By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Meltdown Over No 4K Blu Ray Player In The PS4 Pro

Tagged games:

alternine said:
manny10032 said:
Funny that most gamers say that 4k doesnt interest them yet they cry cause no 4k player

I never said 4K didn't interest me. 4k GAMES interest me. Not movies. 

not talking about you :p

Around the Network

Coming from a company that have actively used their consoles to push and develop formats for nearly 20 years, and being the main proponent of the blu-ray technology itself as well as a major presence in the movie industry, it seems like a really strange thing to omit from their upgraded model.
The only explanation is that they have no faith in 4k blu-ray, which is sad for us buffs who don't appreciate the poor comparative quality of 4k streaming.

Mummelmann said:
Coming from a company that have actively used their consoles to push and develop formats for nearly 20 years, and being the main proponent of the blu-ray technology itself as well as a major presence in the movie industry, it seems like a really strange thing to omit from their upgraded model.
The only explanation is that they have no faith in 4k blu-ray, which is sad for us buffs who don't appreciate the poor comparative quality of 4k streaming.

Except they did not do that with the PS4 - their fastest selling console to date.

I wonder how many people build a gaming PC and puts in a 4k bluray player....

More interestingly tho, I think it's kinda shameful that the most talked about thing of a 4k gaming console isn't that it cost $399 but that it doesnt play 4k movie discs.....

Just watch Nintendo make a console that wouldn't even play DVDs and some people call it revolutionary.

I couldn't care less. I don't own any physical media as far as movies are concerned. If it lowers the cost, i'm not complaining.

Around the Network
manny10032 said:
alternine said:

not talking about you :p

Oh my bad. I completely read that wrong lol

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Intrinsic said:
I wonder how many people build a gaming PC and puts in a 4k bluray player....

More interestingly tho, I think it's kinda shameful that the most talked about thing of a 4k gaming console isn't that it cost $399 but that it doesnt play 4k movie discs.....

Just watch Nintendo make a console that wouldn't even play DVDs and some people call it revolutionary.

I'm always pissed at Nintendo for not having a player. So annoying. No matter what room I put the Wii U in, I have to ALSO put in a blu ray player or another console just to watch movies in that room.

Is there a 4k blu ray player you can get for your pc? I though the only two options were the samsung player and panasonic player

But what about 4k streaming? There`s no reason to don`t have it. The hardware is there.

alternine said:
manny10032 said:
Funny that most gamers say that 4k doesnt interest them yet they cry cause no 4k player

Doubt the PS4 Pro can actually run many games at full 4k resolution. 4k is like 4x the pixels of 1080p I believe and PS4 Pro is only a little more than double the GPU power. Something is going to have to give there. So no 4k disc movies and probably compromised gaming performance at 4k.

Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:

Except they did not do that with the PS4 - their fastest selling console to date.

Precisely; which shows that they have no faith in the physical market, which is, as mentioned, bad news for people who want proper quality video for their TV's they spent 3000 dollars on (I'm one of those).

PS: with the PS2's staggered launch, fastest selling is debatable, the PS2 was only available in Japan and insignificant Asian markets for about 7-8 months. If you count from global availability, the PS2 will start pulling way ahead now. Besides; the Wii was the actual fastest selling console of all time, and it was of very little consequence in the long run.

In an increasingly tech oriented market with consumers craving multi-purpose hardware, adding proper 4k playback wouldn't have hurt them either. Unless it was deemed a worthless effort, which is clearly is, so my point(s) still stands.