By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Slim, $299, September 15th - PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

I'll wait 

Around the Network

Kind of curious as to why they left UHD BD out of the PS4 Pro; that was actually a selling/upgrade bullet point for me.

I can only assume that cost reduction in the interest of margins to keep that $399 MSRP profitable, but SCE just gave the XBO S the 4K BD market.

The only conclusion is that SCE doesn't care: the 4K BD market must be that small and may well go the way of 3D BD, which remains a niche AV enthusiast market.

But now I have no immediate need to pre-order one, as much as I would appreciate the smoother frame rate performance, HDR, AA and other improved visuals on existing games. Plus it's slightly bigger than the original PS4.

zealen said:
I really like my ps4, but I don't know if I feel like upgrading to a pro is a good deal.
Xbox One S looks closer to the PS4 Pro than PS4Pro to the Scorpio, at least thinking about cost/benenift

The XBO S is not closer to the PS4 Pro than the XBO was to the PS4; the performance gap there has expanded. 

Essentially, the PS4 P 1TB is a $50 premium over the $350 XBO S 1TB with a larger performance jump than that price difference merits. 

Really what it boils down to is consumer priorities. SCE just dropped the 4K BD market by leaving UHD BD playback out. For $50 less, you get that with the XBO S, making it a better complement to existing PS4 owners if they don't already have an XBO. 

As for the Scorpio, it should have a performance jump over the PS4 P similar to that between the original PS4 and XBO, but that's a year from now and should really only play any significance for those looking ahead at upgrading their current PS4 or XBO. 

greenmedic88 said:
Kind of curious as to why they left UHD BD out of the PS4 Pro; that was actually a selling/upgrade bullet point for me.

I can only assume that cost reduction in the interest of margins to keep that $399 MSRP profitable, but SCE just gave the XBO S the 4K BD market.

The only conclusion is that SCE doesn't care: the 4K BD market must be that small and may well go the way of 3D BD, which remains a niche AV enthusiast market.

But now I have no immediate need to pre-order one, as much as I would appreciate the smoother frame rate performance, HDR, AA and other improved visuals on existing games. Plus it's slightly bigger than the original PS4.

This is my thinking as well; Sony seem to have lost interest in blu-ray, or 4k blu-ray at the very least. Since they're the main proponent of the format itself, this is quite telling of the overall standings on the market, 4k blu-ray may prove to be the next HD-DVD when all is said and done, all this is making me skeptical of buying a stand-alone 4k blu-ray player as well.
If the main company behind the format doesn't show faith in it; why should we?

zealen said:
I really like my ps4, but I don't know if I feel like upgrading to a pro is a good deal.
Xbox One S looks closer to the PS4 Pro than PS4Pro to the Scorpio, at least thinking about cost/benenift

50$ more gets you:

300% performance increase in hardware. (1.4 teraflops xbox one slim vs 4.2 teraflops PS4 pro).

Yes thats right..... 3 times the power, for 50$.

720p-900p Xbox One gameing

vs

1440p-1800p PS4 pro gameing

thats a very weird cost/benenift assesment you made.

Around the Network

Still has a weak CPU
Stupid limitations on how devs can utilize the extra power
Won't sniff native 4k for gaming
No UHD player

Pointless upgrade. I love how they say it's for the core gamer but then limit what devs can do.

JRPGfan said:

zealen said:

50$ more gets you:

300% performance increase in hardware. (1.4 teraflops xbox one slim vs 4.2 teraflops PS4 pro).

Yes thats right..... 3 times the power, for 50$.

720p-900p Xbox One gameing

vs

1440p-1800p PS4 pro gameing

thats a very weird cost/benenift assesment you made.

Don't get me wrong, or maybe I didn't make myself very clear, but I just don't feel like the PS4 Pro is the leap most people (or maybe just me and I'm reflecting that) expected. Of course there's the release date and the price point, but still, I think it could do some things better.

I never had a Microsoft console but I think MS really nailed on the One S, it's beautiful, got some little tweaks and got a good price, while still being the basic product.

Just felt that the PS4 Pro didn't sound that Pro, but of course I can change my mind :)

Barkley said:
NobleTeam360 said:

I'm laughing at all the people who thought PS4 slim would be 250

It probably was doable to get it down to that price, Sony just like money too much.

Only a $100 gap between the Slim and the Pro just feels odd to me.

Because it entices new ps4 buyers to go for the more expensive option.  If the gap was too big,  too many people would pick the slim. 

zealen said:
JRPGfan said:

50$ more gets you:

Don't get me wrong, or maybe I didn't make myself very clear, but I just don't feel like the PS4 Pro is the leap most people (or maybe just me and I'm reflecting that) expected. Of course there's the release date and the price point, but still, I think it could do some things better.

I never had a Microsoft console but I think MS really nailed on the One S, it's beautiful, got some little tweaks and got a good price, while still being the basic product.

Just felt that the PS4 Pro didn't sound that Pro, but of course I can change my mind :)

Its because Sony cut all the bullsh*t with the PS4.

Thats whats won them the gen so far, its a basic console that does 1 thing really well..... gameing.

Which is what most people want out of a console, so low and behold... it worked.

MS went out of their way to put, extra's into their xbox one, tv/sports/kinect, which in turn ment their console was weak & expensive, compaired to the PS4.

It hurt them. They ended up removeing the kinect, and shifting and dropping many of those other things.

Sony is just doing what worked the first time around for them, focus on the gameing.

They just want a lean mean gameing machine (price & what you get gameing wise for it).

Nice, definitely joining this generation of gaming with the Pro. Will keep my cool and wait a month after release to see the reviews, user experiences, etc.

If only the Last Guardian could be delayed to December! What torture it will be to see the sucessor to my favourite game to be released, reviewed and discussed without being able to play it...