By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Amazing new PS3 tech demo

NJ5 said:
FJ-Warez said:
NJ5 said:
FJ-Warez said:

Ehhh, tech demos are real time:

"A technology demo is a prototype, rough example or an otherwise incomplete version of a product, put together with the primary purpose of showcasing the idea, performance, method or the features of the product."

The key word there is "or".

If you a going to sell a game engine, are you going to make a video featuring things that can't be made on real time???

Probably not, but depending on the circumstances I might. Maybe you want to show something which isn't yet optimized in a preliminary version, for example.

There you go, you just show things that can be made (Search for the nVidia tech demos for every gen of GPUs), tech demos are there for showing things you can do, not things that can't be made, remember the early videos of killzone and motostorm, those were target renders, but they were threated like tech demos(By Sony), and the industry didn 't took it very well...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network
FJ-Warez said:

There you go, you just show things that can be made (Search for the nVidia tech demos for every gen of GPUs), tech demos are there for showing things you can do, not things that can't be made, remember the early videos of killzone and motostorm, those were target renders, but they were threated like tech demos(By Sony), and the industry didn 't took it very well...

It all depends on how you present things... Since I don't have the context of how that demo came about (actually I don't even know if it was made by the engine's creators), I'm not making any assumptions.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

FJ-Warez said:
NJ5 said:
FJ-Warez said:
NJ5 said:
FJ-Warez said:

Ehhh, tech demos are real time:

"A technology demo is a prototype, rough example or an otherwise incomplete version of a product, put together with the primary purpose of showcasing the idea, performance, method or the features of the product."

The key word there is "or".

If you a going to sell a game engine, are you going to make a video featuring things that can't be made on real time???

Probably not, but depending on the circumstances I might. Maybe you want to show something which isn't yet optimized in a preliminary version, for example.

Yes that is true, though the killzone 2 target render looks pretty close to the current killzone 2 and thats impressive to say the least.

mM

I didnt find all that much in the video that blew me away....but i might be missing something

Usual bickering huh? I'm not one to start them though, I just grow weary of the same old users writing the same old sentences.
Oh well, who cares what the pope says anyway.

Around the Network
selnor said:
dannyphantom105 said:
selnor said:
This isn't a tech demo. A proper tech demo is someone using a controller to interact with the surroundings. This is a pre animated video using a 3d engine. It's quite poor. Sony's previous stuff was better than this. Also dodgy framrate. I actually think the PS2 could have done this. As it's not ingame. The processor would have to work hard at this at all.

yes, it is in game. using an engine means that you could interact with it if you wanted to. If its not that, all it is is a video, and the ps1 could have played it.

think about it, if its not using in game stuff, its just a video that you play. i mean look at the cutscenes in FF7 for ps1.

a tech demo means its IN GAME and if it was a game, that would be its graphics.

You are completely wrong. As others have mentioned already. Every object in this video is on a pre determined path. There is no physics engine. Yes it's built using real world Poly's and textures and so on. But the processor is not running the following.....AI, Physics, Remap(essentually cause and effect) Player input. Change in sound effects(player caused) Immediate change in Poly count( say spinning the camera 360 degrees like a player would.) The list goes on. IT's a Pre determined Video nothing more.  

How can you be so confident of that from watching a video? What is your basis? 

What if someone *was* flying the matrix squid thing, in real time, in game,  and that session was recorded? Are you saying that the mere act of recording someones in game session renders it 'pre rendered'?  If I drive a car in Forza2, and some records it with a video camera and posts it on youtube,  Forza2 is now no longer doing any physics? Huh?

By your standard the only way to do a demo would be to do it live - once some records it doesn't count!?!

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

Some of you need to step out of your delusional game world and realize that a tech demos can be rendered. I have been watching water simulation for years and most of them are rendered. You can have a physics engine running while doing non realtime rendering.

As for the video it looked more like an artistic pitch then a demo. It would had been nice to have notes on what they were showing as I did not find anything interesting about it. For all I know It's a demonstration on some new particle system.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
Mummelmann said:
Usual bickering huh? I'm not one to start them though, I just grow weary of the same old users writing the same old sentences.
Oh well, who cares what the pope says anyway.

Leo J called it a physics demo.  NJ5 corrected him... then you jumped all over him.

So... you grow weary of NJ5 correcting people? 

kenzomatic said:
Some of you need to step out of your delusional game world and realize that a tech demos can be rendered. I have been watching water simulation for years and most of them are rendered. You can have a physics engine running while doing non realtime rendering.

As for the video it looked more like an artistic pitch then a demo. It would had been nice to have notes on what they were showing as I did not find anything interesting about it. For all I know It's a demonstration on some new particle system.

Do you realize that we are talking about games, game engines, and tech demos??? not water simulations (And some are really great by the way), context is importan here, whats the point of a prerendered tech demo of a game if the game is not going to look like that???

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

This wasn't amazing at all, technically. MGS4 and K2 look better in real time.
Art direction seemed nice though.