By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tantalus CEO: Huge Thrill To Work With Nintendo on Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

Nuvendil said:

Well the trailer wasn't impressive because of expectations, but upon playing it the game does have a lot of really well done textures and some well done mesh improvements.  It honestly does look a LOT better.  But it wasn't a huge leap no doubt, it mainly feels like exactly what TP would have looked like on Wii if Wii had been a 360 level machine and TP was cross gen from GC to something of that level.  As for why Tantalus doesn't get much guff for that, it's down to the fact they were working with such an aged engine, something completely out of Tantalus's control.  

cycycychris said:

I think a lot is unfair to blame Tantalus for what happen with the visuals purely due to the fact that they have no say in how the game will be remastered. Nintendo already had the plan set out on what will be improved and what will stay the same. Of course, we have no idea if they performed the adjustments up to a standard Nintendo wanted or if they failed at it. But to be mad at them since the lighting engine was not new or that they did not redo all the texture is blaming the wrong party. Nitendo is historically very controling and would not give them free range on what they will and won't improve.

At the same time, they did 2 great ports to Wii U,so we know they can perform to a high standard.

Ah, I think I get it now.

I actually agree in that I think TP:HD looks great. It just seemed to me that the consensus was that the visuals were not satisfactory for a lot of people. There seemed to be a disconnect between praising Tantalus and criticizing TP:HD's graphics. If Tantalus wouldn't have much of a say in the visuals, then it makes sense that they would be absolved of much of the blame. 

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
curl-6 said:

Thirded.

Nintendo has been chronically lacking in manpower of late, and anything that frees up their internal studios to make actual new content is a good thing.

They could also use a partnership with Tantalus to gain manpower to create more teams to create original first party games.  Basically creating skeleton teams from Nintendo (10 to 20 perhaps?) to create the leadership/core and then providing the "rank and file" manpower from Tantalus and similar companies they can partner with so that those teams can produce large projects.  Could be a good way to beef up output.

That's an interesting point.

I'd definitely like to see Nintendo acquire some new studios in any event; good things tend to happen when they do.

Accquire this studio for porting and remasting such as Skyward Sword HD is good idea

I hope his next work is better than TP HD.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

collint0101 said:
fleischr said:
This is a company Nintendo should just buy outright. These guys set a real high technical standard on Nintendo platforms.

I'm happy to know I'm not the only one that thinks this. These guys really should be Nintendo's go to for 3rd party ports, Indies, handheld to home console ports and remasters. 

I am pretty sure Nintendo would invest in ports of their games (Mario Galaxy HD, Skyward Sword HD, Metroid Trilogy HD...) not in 3rd party ports.

Around the Network
SJReiter said:
I guess this would be a good thread for me to ask this question that's been bugging me for a while now.

So, the reception to TP:HD was generally very good, but much of the criticism came from the fact that most people thought that there wasn't enough done to update the game's visuals (remember at the reveal when people were asking, "when do they show the HD version?"). At the same time, people always have nothing but glowing comments for Tantalus. I'm just wondering, if the visuals in TP:HD were not as good as people wanted, can that criticism be fairly leveled towards Tantalus? If not, why?

Like people already stated, actualy TP HD looks much better in live than it looks on videos especially in initial trailers, biggest complain is that isnt so huge difference like going from WW to WW HD, saying that WW have timeless art style and really didn't take lota effort to make that graphic shine again.

Twilight Princess HD was okay, but it wasn't the remaster the game deserved. Wasted potential, Nintendo should have waited another generation with this game. Texturework by Tantalus is pretty good though, it's all nicely clean and sharp, but performance is not. It performs worse than I remember on Wii and Gamecube. On those systems I remember just one problem area (speeding underneath the giant tree above Lake Hylia on horseback) while in this remaster there's lots of slowdown pretty much anywhere.

S.Peelman said:
Twilight Princess HD was okay, but it wasn't the remaster the game deserved. Wasted potential, Nintendo should have waited another generation with this game. Texturework by Tantalus is pretty good though, it's all nicely clean and sharp, but performance is not. It performs worse than I remember on Wii and Gamecube. On those systems I remember just one problem area (speeding underneath the giant tree above Lake Hylia on horseback) while in this remaster there's lots of slowdown pretty much anywhere.

I personally didn't notice performance issues on TP HD, IMO WW HD has much more noticeable FPS downs.

fleischr said:
This is a company Nintendo should just buy outright. These guys set a real high technical standard on Nintendo platforms.

I agree. There are so many companies that could help Nintendo right now, Shin'en is another one that comes to mind right now.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Miyamotoo said:

I personally didn't notice performance issues on TP HD, IMO WW HD has much more noticeable FPS downs.

It slows down in so many places that it becomes annoying. It happens pretty much every time when there's a lot effects on the screen. Besides that there's, from the top of my head; parts of the roofs of Hyrule Castle near the start of the game, the purple fog section in Faron Woods from start to end, that same spot that was a problem in the originals underneat the giant tree above Lake Hylia, the last part of the first phase of the Stallord-fight, the upper section of Zora's Domain, some parts or angles in the inner courtyards of the Snowpeak Dungeon (and I think Yeto's kitchen as well but don't quote me on that one), randomly in Hyrule Castle Town, some of the outside portions of the City in the Sky and lastly the strangest one, cutting the grass in the upper part of the Zora River immediately after exiting the Fishing Hole takes the game down to a crawl for a couple seconds every time. There's more, but I'm not sure.